My grandkids are getting excited

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
We have a few young bucks coming to the feeders and my grandkids are getting ready.
There is older better bucks but this is my grandkids.

Attachments

• CF262DA5-C8EA-40FE-9601-2095FD7D4D9F.jpeg
    CF262DA5-C8EA-40FE-9601-2095FD7D4D9F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 6F0E5D32-6BA1-4EB8-A48B-99C19A3B8814.jpeg
    6F0E5D32-6BA1-4EB8-A48B-99C19A3B8814.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 1ED11314-C4CF-44CA-912F-6370A13D8ED1.MOV
    1.4 MB
Deer season opens Saturday here. Tuesday morning I took a quad ride up to the area I plan to hunt. I saw 3 bucks together. A young 2 or 3 point (didn't spend time looking at him), and younger 4 point, and one dandy big 4 point. High horned with deep forks. Our freezer is full so I have been saying anything I shoot will have to be 25 inches wide or better. I don't know if this one will make that. 23 for sure. Maybe 24. He didn't give me a lot of time to size him up. Looked to be outside the ears but how much I am not sure. But people pay a lot of money to hunt for bucks his size.
Yesterday morning I saw 23 deer in the fields before 9:00. I didn't have the glasses with to tell does and bucks but no big bucks. Right now there is 10 looking out the kitchen window. One is a fork horn.

hope your grandkids have a great time and glad that you are taking the time to let them enjoy nature and all the benefits of the hunting experience.

Now in Oregon when you say 4 point that means 4 points on 1 side right? Here in Texas that is considered a 8 point
You would most likely consider him a 10 point. We don't count the eye guards. Just the main frame. I am assuming he had eye guards. He was a big old enough buck. He may have had kicker points too. I just looked at the main frame and was trying to judge the width of his spread as he was going up the hill 200 yards away.

I hate a deer murder them all. They are pest like rats or something. We have hit at least 10 over 15 years. The last one was right in town jumped over a car and half the length the truck and I hit it. I went round and round with the insurance company my inner Karen or the devil come straight up out of me. Some times you just have to be a Karen if that's what it takes. The insurance company had us send pictures than do a video chat the most ridiculous crap ever. Look at any social media people don't look the same in a picture than real life. They wanted to pay $4500. Took it to a bodyshop estimate $16,000 . The owner of the insurance company the other day email me about the 2019 claim asked how my service was. 🤦🏽‍♀️ On top that they wouldn't give me a rental car cause they were behind on count of the snow. I seriously was about to drive the vehicle wrecked and spray paint insured by Allstate down the side. I told the owner that too.
Allstate used to be wonderful. The old owner of this local branch would do anything he was a great man. He valued having customers and knowing them. This new guy different generation.

I hate a deer murder them all. They are pest like rats or something. We have hit at least 10 over 15 years. The last one was right in town jumped over a car and half the length the truck and I hit it. I went round and round with the insurance company my inner Karen or the devil come straight up out of me. Some times you just have to be a Karen if that's what it takes. The insurance company had us send pictures than do a video chat the most ridiculous crap ever. Look at any social media people don't look the same in a picture than real life. They wanted to pay $4500. Took it to a bodyshop estimate $16,000 . The owner of the insurance company the other day email me about the 2019 claim asked how my service was. 🤦🏽‍♀️ On top that they wouldn't give me a rental car cause they were behind on count of the snow. I seriously was about to drive the vehicle wrecked and spray paint insured by Allstate down the side. I told the owner that too.
Allstate used to be wonderful. The old owner of this local branch would do anything he was a great man. He valued having customers and knowing them. This new guy different generation.
Exactly how is it the deer's fault that humans have taken up most of the habitat and run them down with vehicles that insurance companies don't want to pay for? That pretty much seems to be all human doing.

hope your grandkids have a great time and glad that you are taking the time to let them enjoy nature and all the benefits of the hunting experience.
I believe hunting is one of the best sports kids can get into.
I grew up hunting but I don't hunt deer anymore. I have more fun watching the grandkids.
When I was a kid we looked forward for opening day of deer season more than anything.
My grandpa loved deer hunting. He got the family into hunting way back before I was born.

Exactly how is it the deer's fault that humans have taken up most of the habitat and run them down with vehicles that insurance companies don't want to pay for? That pretty much seems to be all human doing.
Buzzkill.
Deer are a nuance. And are in no way on an endangered species list nor are they running out of "wild" habitat. I agree with @Chevy ; kill em all!😂😂 Turtles too. Along with wild horses, *sses, etc (NON native invasive species the us govt seems intent on keeping around)

Where I will be hunting in the morning you don't have to worry about a deer wrecking your car. If you did manage to get a car up there it would be pretty much wrecked by the time you got there. I would only take a 4x4 pickup up there if it were an old beater.

Very true but I still don't like the mother 🤬 . I'm glad some people enjoy hunting and eating them. Should be open season everyday all year at least until they are thined out.

I hit one in my sports car some years ago. Cop asked how fast I was going I told him 150 didn't every say anything different. He laughed and laughed... Some young redneck boys stopped asked if they could have the deer. They were excited free deer meat.

We were given dominion over the animals for a reason. Not the other way around.
I've read lots of accounts of the early settlers in the South and one of the first things they did, was hunt out all the deer and coons close to their homesteads so they could grow something to eat and not have to depend on wild game as their only source of food.

When my father first bought this property in 1964, even tho it borders a sprawling National Forest, gardens were everywhere in the county and we raised about 10 acres of corn in addition to our vegetable garden. You could do that back then. That was when deer hunting with dogs was still legal and lots of people just left their dogs run loose day and night and the dogs and hunter kept the deer population down. From 1964 up until about 1972, I never saw a deer here but the 70s brought changes to the law and now, they run amok.
When I built my house and set up a place for a veg garden, I had to put up a 6' chainlink fence and even then, they came thru the yard and caused havoc. This year, in just 2 nights, they decimated my grapevine when the scuppernongs were ready.
From an old picture, you can see the tall corn on the upper left side of the picture. This would not be possible today.

cornpond2.jpg

Now... (and there is 1 behind the backhoe)
deer22.jpg

Well it was a slow opening day for me. Everyone else saw small bucks they passed up. I saw 5 cows and 3 tweety birds. This is where I was. The 5 cows were in the bottom of the third draw. You can't go down from here. About where the hill drops away in the picture it turns into vertical rock. You have to come back up hill.

Attachments

• PA012696 (1).JPG
    PA012696 (1).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 4
Well it was a slow opening day for me. Everyone else saw small bucks they passed up. I saw 5 cows and 3 tweety birds. This is where I was. The 5 cows were in the bottom of the third draw. You can't go down from here. About where the hill drops away in the picture it turns into vertical rock. You have to come back up hill.
That's some nice looking country.

That's some nice looking country.
There is a lot more steep to it than the picture shows. I did see a nice big 2 point this afternoon. But the freezer is full so I am hunting for the big one. Maybe in about 3 years or so that 2 point will grow up to be a big one

There is a lot more steep to it than the picture shows. I did see a nice big 2 point this afternoon. But the freezer is full so I am hunting for the big one. Maybe in about 3 years or so that 2 point will grow up to be a big one
Where do you shoot the deer to plant them so you don't have to track them down in to some ravine or some thing?

I started doing a high shoulder shot at the advice of a friend. It has been good to my son and I so far.

Latest posts