Need help identifying breed background of this cow/calf

Help Support CattleToday:

remsteel6

Reaction score
Can anyone out there with more experience than I help me identify the breeding behind this cow? The pic of the cow I hope to post is not great so I am also posting one of her first calf. The only diff. I see in them is the calf has white on her belly. Oddly enough the calf is sired by an Angus "Dillon" form Select Sires. Both calf and dam are a chocolate color. Are there any telltale breed characteristics I'm missing to suggest what breed(s) she may be.
Ok I'll confess, I bought her at the sale barn with the intention of eating her, but she looked too good and I bred her. Do you think this calf is worth keeping to breed. I do, but would like to get some other opinions. Thanks for the help. Geez it took me long enough to figure out how to post the pics.

MooMoo_and_lilly.JPG

Lilly_1.JPG

lilly_2.JPG

I am not too sure about the breeding my guess would be Murrey Grey or Charloais angus cross but I do want to comment of that is a real nice calf definately breed her and you definately got a good pair for a sale barn.

Murrey Grey- we had a MG bull we used on our angus heifers, calf looks just like ours did. Same head, body and color. Our calves were all calm and easy to handle. I would keep it just because we raised some MG cross heifers and they turned into good mommas. And they were always easy to handle. ;-)

I agree that the calf definitely looks like it's got some Murray Grey blood in it...but the white on the belly has me thinking there's something more than just Angus (beside the Murray Grey) in it's background.
Nice calf!

the moma got some simm or some cont. blood some where. the calve looks like a mouse colored grey or smokey colored short curly hair coat. ive got some that look like her out of simbrah momas angus sired . i wouldnt retain her personally may be more rat tails in the furture

My guess is Simm x angus and in my opinion its a great cross if you aren't selling at the auction barn.

Goddy

ALACOWMAN":vasothe8 said:
the moma got some simm or some cont. blood some where. the calve looks like a mouse colored grey or smokey colored short curly hair coat. ive got some that look like her out of simbrah momas angus sired . i wouldnt retain her personally may be more rat tails in the furture

I agree, I have had several that look similar to this (except just a little deeper ) and they were all Sim / Angus cross.

Mine all sold at weaning for replacements in other herds. They make great moms. Raise heavy calves.

I have some great photos of how often their coat color changes. Some predict the weather by it. ;-)

Thanks to all for their replies. I would have to agree with those that suggested simxangus or charxangus cross.

She weighs about 600 lbs right now

I believe there's continental maybe Gelbvieh or Simm. and Angus.
I would not keep her for breeding, I think the color, hair is wrong and her calves are likely to be off color. And likely will produce some ropetails. In my opinion.

ive used homozygous black simmental and brangus bulls on my simbrah momas and got 100% black calves some with blaze face. but ive had two rats and one smokey with a angus bull this past calf crop.

Latest posts