Net Zero Carbon

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Biden's boys are working on a carbon plan. Rumor is the USDA is a key part. Don't think ethanol is the solution.

Bill Gate's new climate book is coming out soon, and he was on 60 Minutes Tonight. He likes fake meat and nuke power. Did you see the show?

Didn't see the 60 minutes show. Nuke sounds good, Except what do you do with the nuke waste?

Just watched it. Guys a damn fool. Wants to fix an organic problem with tech. For what it's worth there are a couple of leftist organizations that don't drink this kool aid so much.
There is the Marin carbon project and project Drawdown that actually value cows.

3M announced new environmental carbon and water goals today. Did not sound like they are keeping up with Captain Planet.

I think Bill Gates will make money on this long term. How have the fake meat stocks been doing?

Bill Gates saying rich countries should eat '100% synthetic beef'

BB1dJV68.img

While Burger King has experimented with adding lemongrass to the diet of some of its beef herd to limit the methane emissions that contribute to climate change, and researchers are feeding seaweed to cattle in Maine and New Hampshire in another attempt to cut down the methane these herds release, it's simply a biologic fact of life that the bacteria in the digestive tracts of livestock releases methane as it breaks down food. "I don't know if there'll be some natural approach there," Gates said.

All that plant based "beef". I bet it will take fertilizer for those plants. Fertilizer is energy intensive. Wonder where that fertilizer will come from? Won't be manure since he will eliminate most of that. May need to put a fish under every plant. Gonna need a lot of fish.

Also lost in this discussion is the fact that something like 83% of all "agriculture" land is suitable only for grazing. Unless people somehow start digesting grass we need an animal with a rumen to do that for us. Prior to the 1930's or even later the vast majority of beef was 100 % grass fed. Steers were left on grass until 3 years old. Feedlots and grain finished beef is historically a rather new thing.

All that plant based "beef". I bet it will take fertilizer for those plants. Fertilizer is energy intensive. Wonder where that fertilizer will come from? Won't be manure since he will eliminate most of that. May need to put a fish under every plant. Gonna need a lot of fish.
Can you farm organically without ruminants? I think we're finding out that fertility declines without ruminants.
My opinion only

Can you farm organically without ruminants? I think we're finding out that fertility declines without ruminants.
My opinion only
Yes, but the white meat is $5 per pound.

One of the ugly things about organic is it requires more tillage. So we would need electric tractors too.

Beyond meat stock price has more than tripled since the low last spring, so Bill should have made a little more money.

Could Beyond Meat be a better investment than organic chicken or BM cows?

Biden' boys think USDA policy is a key to carbon recapture and emission reductions. The ethanol lobby is excited about upcoming changes, but I think EV is going to kick their ass longer term.

I am not sure how Beyond Meat bean farts compare to cow farts. I don't think USDA has the net net math figured out either. I think they will throw money at cover crops and reduced tillage, because we can measure acres and there is not any organized resistance.

Some radical things (like seeding the state of Iowa down to perennials and making it free range) would reduce emissions, but there would obviously be a lot of resistance to this so it is not on the table.

Last edited:
My opinion only
No, not your opinion only. Lots of people have come to find out that grazing cattle is a key component in building soil. Give yourself some credit!

Why does no one point out, ever, what covered the nation before the white man wiped them out? Bison. What type of digestive system do they have? Oh yeah ,they're ruminants! Apparently though, bison don't fart like cows though. Point being, cattle are not the problem. This world was and is covered with ruminants before, during and will be after the global warming phenomena, which even if the world is warming, it won't be the first or the last time.

A bigger problem agriculture needs to face is soil conservation and water quality. The tile plow is an overused tool. I could go on and on, but more notill, cover crops, waterways and buffer strips would help heal a lot of problems. Too many people throwing tile in waterways and trying to farm fencerow to fencerow is not helping anything.

Latest posts