New Angus EPDs

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus In Texas

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea as to what kind of effects the combining of the carcass and ultrasound EPDs will have when the new numbers are realeased?

I don't know if cattle that have been highly regarded because of their ultrasound numbers will maintain breed dominance once you combine the carcass data.

It will be interesting for sure..... I just hope my cattle don't take too big of a hit.

A couple of sires stand out for both carcass and ultrasound EPD (with data for both), Predestined and Corona. I have also seen some that are very good for one and not for the other so it will be interesting for sure. I didnt notice if Mile High had any proof to his carcass EPDs but the other two are two of the top three in $B. I dont think it will change much, what scares me most is the "more conservative" approach to the production trait EPD (BW, WW, etc) that will be included in the fall 2008 NCE. (see the minutes of the AAA board meeting). I am wondering what is going to happen there.

AIT,
How are the dispositions on the Mile High calves? I heard they were very good phenotypically but you had to watch for disposition.

I am incredibly impressed with the Mile High calves I have. Phenotypically, they are impeccable and disposition has not been a problem at all. We are in the process of having one of the heifers halter broke. They had her broke to stand and leading within the first week. As for the bulls they are very lethargic and calm demeanored. The calves that I was around at Riverbend when I worked there had no problems that I ever noticed.

Mile High doesn't have any carcass proof yet but I am expecting to see some with this evaluation.

who are we kidding here? the combining of carcass and ultrasound will have no impact. the value they come up with will be more representative of what we should have been getting from the fragmented info we have now. it's an improvement.

i want to know when they are going to incorporate a more current choice-selecy spread in their calculations. that will throw the $B out the window. (they use rolling 3 yr aves)

I was also curious about Mile High progeny's docility since he is listed as -4. I was at a sale recently that was managed by Dick Beck and he commented that Predestined would be a big winner when the EPDs are combined. Of course he was selling a few Predestined offspring at the time.

jscunn-

["...what scares me most is the "more conservative" approach to the production trait EPD (BW, WW, etc) that will be included in the fall 2008 NCE. (see the minutes of the AAA board meeting). I am wondering what is going to happen there..."] quote by jscunn.

When I read the minutes of the AAA Board meeting (see above), I had a momentary " nervous surge" of emotion - similar to what I imagine your feelings were upon reading about the 2008 EPD evaluations. I read the Update again. I then went in and ate dinner - watched the TV National Geographic Channel "Ultimate Factories" on building the Gigantic "Caterpiller" Open Pit Mining Trucks :shock: , returned to the task at hand :compute: , and read it - again!

Then - I realized that the the "revision" to be done is to "Growth Trait ACCURACIES" - - NOT to the Traits per se! That puts an entirely different interpretation to the Evaluation Report!

I think that revision to "more conservative" levels than previously provided for these EPD's is a pragmatic move. It should result in more conscientiousness, attention to detail in reporting correct data, and - perhaps - a lesser tendency to - - be careless :!: with the reporting of EPD figures themselves!

"What Goes Around - Comes Around". It will be interesting to observe if "What Comes Around" results in an improvement of the reliability of ancestral and progeny EPD's!

DOC HARRIS

Doc,
After posting the orginal message, I started to email a friend to ask him. Since he is usually busy, I reread the minutes and came to the same conclusion that you did. The next sentences in the minutes talks about moving the accuracies for qualifying on the main and supplemental sire summaries so I feel that we are correct.

When does the fall NCE come out, around the middle of July right??

jscunn":1t5z3xul said:
When does the fall NCE come out, around the middle of July right??

i think th elast couple of years has been around July 10-14. they have an email notification system you can sign up for.

The cows are exactly the same as they were a week ago.

Best post in a long time, Aero! Same cattle, new numbers. Cattle care little about numbers!

Angus In Texas":1ya6ix3g said:
Well they are out..... what's the verdict?

B/R Ambush leads the $B battle..... I can't stand his phenotype though.

I think B/R Future Direction 4268 is a close 2nd in that battle and I happen to like his phenotype. Has growth and docile too! I'm sure the bull himself doesn't care tho...

B/R Futurte Direction 4268 is not the higher of the 2 in comparison of the $B, 8 cents difference. :mrgreen: I have been using Ambush 28 for some years now and crop after crop he comes out on top for production and carcass data. I agree his picture does not do him justice but I have some exquisite females from him that will argue his case. They are bred to the above mentioned Future Direction due the end of next month. I also have a son of Ambush 28 as a herd sire from one of my super mother cows. Ambush 28 is not a "cure all", but if you are interested in producing and gridding cattle, he needs to be used!

I thought it was kinda' interesting that Predestined didn't move much with the new formulas for the $ values and the carcass data. He's still a super bull in my book. He and Ambush 28 have consistently proven themselves as "high conception" bulls here, way better than anything else I've used.

Sizmic

The bulls I have seen sired by 28 have been long necked, big headed, shallow with no rear thickness. Granted I have only seen about 10 bulls.

Maybe the heifers are better.

sizmic,
i bet you have some "modern" looking animals... : )

"4268" was selected by PSS to add performance, carcass and maternal genetics into one superior and complete package.

this is the first sign of unrealistic expectations (at best) and a big lie (at average)...

and while we are on it... he is on the proven sires page... w/ a BW Acc of .61; that means he might have 30 calves registered to him w/ records.

Who yanked the cynic chain!? I've seen 4268. I've seen his calves, and he has way more than 30. Do a little research before posting off handed comments!

Also, anyone is welcome to stop by the farm and see my modern cattle and Ambush cattle.

Sizmic

Latest posts