New bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I fought the red calf/black calf price differential for years, and gave away a lot of money in the process.
Now I have Angus or SimAngus bulls and have profited from it.
I still love to see red cattle and maybe the short cattle numbers will help them sell higher.
It is hard to beat the eye appeal of a nice Hereford like yours. A little more pigment around the eyes would have been nice.
It will be fun to anticipate the bald face calves he will sire, but unless your cows are homo black several will be red.

I fought the red calf/black calf price differential for years, and gave away a lot of money in the process.
Now I have Angus or SimAngus bulls and have profited from it.
I still love to see red cattle and maybe the short cattle numbers will help them sell higher.
It is hard to beat the eye appeal of a nice Hereford like yours. A little more pigment around the eyes would have been nice.
It will be fun to anticipate the bald face calves he will sire, but unless your cows are homo black several will be red.
I've used Angus bulls for a lot of years, and have used Herefords at times inbetween. Generally the Herefords seem to have a little more growth on average, but the dock is real. The last two bulls we bought were Simmental bulls and had issues with both, so that pretty much soured my wife on Simmentals. I would be willing to try again sometime.
I was leaning toward going back to an Angus, and am friends with a good local breeder, that has some good ones. This Hereford bull came from a friend that I've always said if I ever got another Hereford I'd like to get one from his outfit.
I would have preferred some pigment, there was another bull had some pigment and was more red without the traditional Hereford markings and I picked it out first but wife and I both felt this one was the better of the two. My wife likes Herefords so she
liked the traditional markings of this one better too.
We have some Hereford and BWF cows, and all of our black cows are heterozygous black, so there will be quite a few red calves.
We will sell them at the Hereford influence sales.

Latest posts