New here, question about a wild calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Annaaa

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I bought a 6 month old heifer calf. Angus/limousine cross. She had never been handled until I picked her up. At first, she was very flighty but slowly, she's coming around. She moos if she can't see me, she will eat bread out of my hand now, and will eat her feed out of her bucket with me holding or touching it. However, if I even try to touch her she gets jumpy. I've had the typical "cow experts" from my area tell me to get rid of her and that she will hurt me, but she hasn't actually made contact with me a single time. She has others, but not me. I'm her source of food, water, and treats. So my question basically is, what can I do extra here to get her to trust me more? I don't want her to necessarily be a pet, I have a bottle calf for that, but I want her to not be so jumpy and to calm down somewhat. I've done this previously with a long horn calf that actually headbutt me every time I got close to her, and she came around, but this one seems more strong willed. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 😊

She's definitely still ready to charge you if you corner her, which is why people have told me to get rid of her. I try to just talk to her and just walk around her pen and all to make her know I'm no threat. I can't get a halter on her or anything so I didn't know if there was possibly anything else I could try to gain her trust more.

Sounds gentle to me. Right where I want them is to eat with me standing there. No need for me to touch them anyway until they're in the chute.

Do you have a chute or some means of confining her? If so get her up there once a day and start grooming her with a rubber curry comb, just concentrate around the tail head, they are usually very itchy around there and they soon become a bit of a tart for a good scratch there.

Ken

I've got some kinda corriente x . I bought a month ago in a pasture we sprigged and moved all the cattle off. Jumps fence like a deer.
I can't even get close enough to get a clear shot at her....any suggestions??

callmefence said:
I've got some kinda corriente x . I bought a month ago in a pasture we sprigged and moved all the cattle off. Jumps fence like a deer.

Get a better scope :hide: :lol2:

Thank y'all for reassuring me. I'm attached to her and I love to just talk to her and watch her so I just wanted reassurance that we were on the right track. 😊

While I'm here, another question! My bottle calf is a jersey cross. I'm going to have him castrated because I have no interest in breeding him, but to him, I am momma. What's the best way to get him to understand that I'm the boss? He thinks I'm playing with him when I try and discipline him for the small head butting. It's cute now, but won't be when he's twice the size and his horns are in. He leads, and I make sure I lead him around every day. When he's leading, I make sure he doesn't get infront of me and knows I'm in control, but my main worry is him playing too rough on accident.

Sounds like you got her where I like mine. My grandparents came to my place yesterday my grandmother asked if I had any she could put her hand on. I told her only in the chute I wanted them gentle enough I could walk around them and then not run or act a fool but I have no want to have a 1250 animal butting me looking for attention while I'm in pasture

Annaaa said:
I've had the typical "cow experts" from my area tell me to get rid of her and that she will hurt me, but she hasn't actually made contact with me a single time. She has others, but not me.

What do you mean by this? She's made contact with others? How?

Jogeephus said:
Annaaa said:
I've had the typical "cow experts" from my area tell me to get rid of her and that she will hurt me, but she hasn't actually made contact with me a single time. She has others, but not me.

She has actually head butted my dad a few times.

Annaaa said:
Jogeephus said:
Annaaa said:

She has actually head butted my dad a few times.
Well that explains why the cattle experts suggest you to get rid of her.

callmefence said:
50 bmg

Well, yesterday my girl let me walk right up to her while she was eating and rub on her some. She's a completely different animal when I have my bottle calf in the pen with her. She's more calm. I'll be keeping her. Like I said again, thanks to you guys for the reassurance. Been around cows plenty before but having my own is different. 😊

Castrating your pet will help him in many ways. Main one is he will be less dangerous. One of the most dangerous bulls you hear people talk about is a Jersey. And usually one if the tamest steers

kenny thomas said:
Castrating your pet will help him in many ways. Main one is he will be less dangerous. One of the most dangerous bulls you hear people talk about is a Jersey. And usually one if the tamest steers

Awesome thank you. He will be getting castrated Monday or Tuesday!

Latest posts