New purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

For us more muscles is just an advantage. However, they better calve okay, or will be culled just like others. We get maybe one or max two more extreme heifers every year for the past few years. Gonna have four of them calving next year for the 1st time. We plan to AI some Charx and Limox cows with Belgian Blue next spring, so hopefully will get some good roan replacements. I like more muscled cattle. Plus we get paid more for them, than average. However, try to have as many cows as possible calving without our assistance. This year had to help for 5 out of 40+ calvings. Two were heifers (104lbs bull calves), one breach, one time twins were coming together and one time the calf was too big for a small 2nd calver(119lbs).

You probably would like this sister more:
21200461_1396636997093001_2007571585501132390_o.jpg

The same breeding, just she was born much slimmer than her sister, and is less muscled.

The black boy had 117lbs birth weight, so I'd rather avoid him using in our herd. Our cows tend to have bigger calves, so better stick with lighter BW bulls.

She is fun to look at. I wouldn't mind having her in my pasture. Congratulations.

lithuanian farmer":2pwmlcod said:
For us more muscles is just an advantage. However, they better calve okay, or will be culled just like others.

Somebody has to say it. "More muscles" in your cows and heifers are NOT an advantage. I understand your need for muscled cattle but your cows are to extreme.

Davemk":1n7ele6v said:
lithuanian farmer":1n7ele6v said:
For us more muscles is just an advantage. However, they better calve okay, or will be culled just like others.

Somebody has to say it. "More muscles" in your cows and heifers are NOT an advantage. I understand your need for muscled cattle but your cows are to extreme.
Believe me, our cows are way far from extreme. We don't have any double muscled cows at the moment. Going to have the first DM heifers calving next year. However, everybody has their own standarts and market needs. Here we have muscularity grades of carcass: S E U R O P. P- the lowest, very skinny cattle. S is reached by extremely extreme animals. We produce R, U grade animals. Would like to reach E grade with bulls. But to produce E grade bull, you need to have U grade cow.
If we want to get better price, better muscle grade and higher kill-out, needs to either have muscles on cows and a bull, or use an extreme bull. I better have some more meat on cows, use not such extreme bull and get good muscular commercial calves, than using an extreme bull on plain cows.
In my opinion too extreme is when an animal can't move properly, gets tired quickly, can't calve naturally, also doesn't look healthy-well proportioned, such as very tiny slim legs and a huge muscular body. Can see many such animals in Belgium, France mainly. They push their animals with feed, Belgium Blue cows don't calve naturally and are often fattened after the 3rd calf.
I really look up to this commercial farm. Top quality stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rGBkQ1zYhw
17758548_1826662410692816_4091119413403275898_o.jpg

17545516_1826662030692854_8468150053657558165_o.jpg

17758429_1826661887359535_7783687984296113916_o.jpg

19221529_1937650809593975_7379116190292566281_o.jpg

Davemk":2agzdfd1 said:
lithuanian farmer":2agzdfd1 said:

I've seen few extreme double muscled cows but her cows are NOT extreme. Her cows are not double muscled.

Dogs and Cows":35lid4oj said:
Davemk":35lid4oj said:
lithuanian farmer":35lid4oj said:

I think they understand their market pretty well...and are doing a fine job. They are not too extreme.

Tim
I agree

I notice in your own animals - lith farmer, as well as that herd you just shared that there is always a mixed bag of animals. Does carcass traits always rule the selection criteria and not much emphasis on uniformity over there?

Supa Dexta":31falsw5 said:
I notice in your own animals - lith farmer, as well as that herd you just shared that there is always a mixed bag of animals. Does carcass traits always rule the selection criteria and not much emphasis on uniformity over there?
The whole exterior, muscularity plays probably the main role in selection of replacement heifers. However, there are some other important criterias, which often can cull some pretty good heifers, like character, growth, dam's milkness.
Our herd has many different famillies of different breeds, so cows are extremely different, like have some half dairy cows and have some already just with 1/8 dairy blood, plus some are Angusx, some BBx or Limox, which look completely different themselves and their calves too. We started from a few different breeds crosses, tried a couple more and now we kinda know what we like the most and what we don't like, so will try to form our herd mostly from those breeds and lines we like the most. However, I'm pretty sure that our herd still will have different looking animals, as we gonna use a couple breeds in the future. For example, we really like Charx and definitely going to have them in the herd, but we like animals with BB in them too and going to have a part of the herd with some BB in them too.
At the moment, it's pretty good to have animals of different types, as we sell cattle to two markets, which have different needs. One needs smaller carcass, but already decent fat cover, so for them it's better slower growing, easier finishing animals, very good with some Angus in them. They don't buy BBx, as it's too lean for them, however they do pay more for more muscular animals. Another market needs bigger carcasses, so it's better to have faster growing, bigger animals, with decent muscles, some fat cover means higher price too.
My personal goal would be that the whole herd of cows would look like our new heifer and with time we probably gonna go to that direction. For now will look how it works for us, but I really like such type females. We've a small plan for next year to improve our herd and move toward the direction we want, so hopefully we'll succeed and I'll be able to show our 2019th calves crop, which would show our future plans.
At the moment we still leave very different type heifers as replacements too. Some examples with explanations:

#1 heifer. Typical Angus type heifer with very good growth and character, pretty milk in her family too. It's easy to say that she isn't the type of heifer with good muscles we like, but we look to the future that we'll be able to use a more muscular breed bull on her with more frame and get a good muscular calf, which would have an excellent growth and if it's a heifer, we could keep her as a possible replacement of her dam with good milk, growth, character and fattening traits. But that doesn't mean that we will cull this girl after leaving her daughter. As long as she will be a better cow than atleast one from the herd, she'll stay.
21585747_1406282426128458_1113197181_o.jpg

#2 heifer. More Charolais type. Big frame heifer with excellent character and milk in family. She has pretty big bones and gonna be much bigger cow than her dam. Would like abit more meat on rear, but it can be added to the calves with a bull. I'm pretty sure that we couldn't use such bull on her like BB or Charolais due to the calving, but can use Limousine, Piedmontese or Parthenaise and add more meat, while calf will get growth, frame and character from the dam.
21557062_1406282169461817_1976119987_o.jpg

#3-4 heifers. Full sisters. Smaller bones, smaller size, but very good muscularity and character. None has calved with their first calves yet, so no ideas about their calving or milkness yet, but it'd be perfect that most of the calves looked like this.Not a type to cross with extreme bulls. Easy calving Limousine, Parthenaise or Piedmontese is perfect. Charolais or BB would be 95-99% c-section. However their first calf should be Angus or any other smaller frame, less muscled breed. Needs to be very careful with such heifers, but they can produce top priced calves.
008_10.jpg

DSCF3021.jpg

Sorry, for a long post, but just wanted to share some my thoughts.:) Everybody works towards the direction, which is the most profitable for them. My parents started developing their herd and now with me we'll try to create a herd, which we would be proud of. My perfect commercial herd model would be big, nicely muscled, milky, fertile, as easy calving cows as possible, on which you could use a muscular breed bull with few problems (even dairy calves from dairy cows can be born by c-section, so working with muscular animals can often be risky) and get a calf, which could grow well, be well-tempered and would bring top prices.
We'll buy some purebred animals in the future. If will have some extra money, maybe even next year we'll bring a couple purebred heifers and will try to build a purebred herd with elite examples of their breed using top AI bulls. Of course, we want to have a more muscular breed, like Limousin, Parthenaise, maybe Charolais. Personally, I really like Belgian Blue and with a good care, selection and management they can be easy-normal calving. These breeds are too muscular for some, but as I said, everybody finds their own direction and what they like and want to work with. I believe that if your herd is 200+ cows, you can't be always around your cows at calving, but as we don't plan having more than 100 cows, we can afford ourselves to spent more time watching cows at that time and have more muscular animals.

I have a hard time looking at your 3 & 4 heifers as being replacement anything. But, that's my eye and my goals - totally different than yours.
Do you worry about structure? #3 & #4 look extremely post legged to me???

Jeanne - Simme Valley":33x9pl8c said:
I have a hard time looking at your 3 & 4 heifers as being replacement anything. But, that's my eye and my goals - totally different than yours.
Do you worry about structure? #3 & #4 look extremely post legged to me???
Will see how both work for us, how they'll calve and how milky they'll be.
Well, we look at the whole animal, not just meat.
Photos of both heifers at bigger age. I'm not very familiar with term "post-legged", but from internet pics I'd say that they aren't really.
DSCF3047.jpg
The 3rd heifer last year.
DSCF3030.jpg
The 3rd heifer this year.

DSCF3066.jpg
The 4th heifer this spring. She's the one with leg trauma, so the way she puts her one rear leg isn't normal anymore.

You are correct. In these pictures, they don't look posty at all. That's the problem trying to get a good picture. I wasn't trying to be insulting, I just have a hard time with super muscled females. Well, males also, to extremes. You are in a different environment & market. We all try to manage our cattle to make money. Looks and sounds to me, you have a good grasp for what you need to raise.

Different market than North America. Different cattle. You have a plan and are sticking to it. Gotta respect that. Think you will have a wreck with 4 at some point though. I get the attachment but have learned over the years sometimes you just gotta let them go when there is an issue. That back leg is screwed and there is no other way to put it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3pma9dar said:
You are correct. In these pictures, they don't look posty at all. That's the problem trying to get a good picture. I wasn't trying to be insulting, I just have a hard time with super muscled females. Well, males also, to extremes. You are in a different environment & market. We all try to manage our cattle to make money. Looks and sounds to me, you have a good grasp for what you need to raise.
Thank you. We still have a lot to improve in our cattle and I could find few, which would fit into all our standarts. :)

cattleman99":1ujw29ba said:
Different market than North America. Different cattle. You have a plan and are sticking to it. Gotta respect that. Think you will have a wreck with 4 at some point though. I get the attachment but have learned over the years sometimes you just gotta let them go when there is an issue. That back leg is screwed and there is no other way to put it.
Have been watching her since the injury and she has improved alot. She's been growing alot since then and her leg has made an improvement to the good side. That's a photo taken in April-May. Now when she walks she puts her hoof almost normally and we maybe even won't need to trim her hooves as she does a good job now with it. No pain in her leg too. She's very mobile, walking and running with other heifers and she's the head of her herd now. Time will show, but we always can cull her later if there will be some problems, because we get ~1-2 such good heifers in a couple years and it's pretty hard to grow a good heifer into a cow. We had to cull many due to being open or other health problems which would have affected the future calf.

Have weighed the new girl before letting her into cows herd. 1460lbs. Should be ~5weeks pregnant.
She was with us 38days now and gained 181lbs. I wonder how big she'll be as a full grown cow.

Just a question, but I would have to imagine the muscularity in your cattle is driven by Piedmontese influence right? What other breeds could be creating that muscularity? Also curious how much inter muscular fat you are getting off of those cattle. They look like some azz kickers!

BigBear":gtqe4m4h said:
Just a question, but I would have to imagine the muscularity in your cattle is driven by Piedmontese influence right? What other breeds could be creating that muscularity? Also curious how much inter muscular fat you are getting off of those cattle. They look like some azz kickers!
No Piedmontese blood in the herd, yet. Have some plans for AI in the following spring.
Breeds which gave the best muscularity in out practice, so far, are Belgian Blue, Charolais and Limousine. Crossing these with other breeds improves muscularity of those. Have a few 3 breeds combos, which works very well for us. All cows came from the dairy ancestors and they are <50% dairy. This year had the first 7/8beef heifers calving.
We get our cattle valued by 1-5 carcass fatness scores.
Figure-2-_Carcass-sides-of-different-classes-in-r.png

Heifers pretty easy reach 3 at the sale time, 17-20months old. Bulls are 2-3, 15-19months old. Once in a while get a couple 1, but usually from younger bulls after hotter weather. As bulls and heifers are in the pastures at the summer time it's a bit harder to reach a higher fat score, especially with bulls. We get the best price for score 3.

Latest posts