New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

That seems poor mileage for the 6.2. I've never run a diesel so don't know about that. My 6.0 GM products and my Hemi always got at least 16 or more until I towed with them. The hemi was the worst, any trailer at all would decrease the mileage to 7.
The 6.7 is a 2018 F350 double cab dually and averages 14 mpg. The 6.2 is an 2019 extended cab single wheel F350 with a Deweze bed, Deweze feeder, and ranch hand bumper. It gets 9 mpg with street grips and everyday driving. Drops down to 6.5 mpg when towing. In the summer if I take the feeder off it'll get 9.5 mpg but I've never seen it say 10 mpg. I did have all terrains and it dropped to 8.5 mpg.

I assume you're talking about the 6.2 GM gasser. If so, is that while towing?

My wife and I drove to Wyoming last year and averaged 20.3 mpg. That was her 6.2 in the Yukon and no towing.

If you are getting 9 mpg while towing, it stands to reason; that engine is not a heavy duty truck engine and wasn't engineered or tuned for that kind of work. It only shines while propelling the vehicle it's installed in. You can tweak it, but it still not a real truck engine.
Should have added they are both Fords

The 6.7 is a 2018 F350 double cab dually and averages 14 mpg. The 6.2 is an 2019 extended cab single wheel F350 with a Deweze bed, Deweze feeder, and ranch hand bumper. It gets 9 mpg with street grips and everyday driving. Drops down to 6.5 mpg when towing. In the summer if I take the feeder off it'll get 9.5 mpg but I've never seen it say 10 mpg. I did have all terrains and it dropped to 8.5 mpg.
That is brutal. I couldn't get any where like that.

I have a friend with the 1/2 ton Chevy diesel. As much as I would like to get away from the diesel, I got like 23 mpg in that truck. That was me personally driving, running a couple hours each way, 80mph, driving it just like it was mine, with 10ply ats on it. It pulls a boat great also. That's impressive. I can't get that out of a Ford ecoboost.

I'd like to think you don't run to the store for milk in a truck with a feeder on it that gets 9 mpg.
I'd say it's my everyday rig. It's got all my tools and cattle stuff in it. The diesel is used more for long trips or when the wife and I go somewhere and the inside stays clean. I like the 6.2 and drive it every where. Honestly thought it'd get around 12 mpg but oh well, what are you going to do. It's 10 miles from my house to the nearest Dollar Store and 30 miles to the nearest town that has anything. I always think about how the price of fuel affects people differently. Some of the guys at work could pour gas out the window on the way to work and still not touch my fuel bill. 😆😆

I'd say it's my everyday rig. It's got all my tools and cattle stuff in it. The diesel is used more for long trips or when the wife and I go somewhere and the inside stays clean. I like the 6.2 and drive it every where. Honestly thought it'd get around 12 mpg but oh well, what are you going to do. It's 10 miles from my house to the nearest Dollar Store and 30 miles to the nearest town that has anything. I always think about how the price of fuel affects people differently. Some of the guys at work could pour gas out the window on the way to work and still not touch my fuel bill. 😆😆
I consider fuel heavily in everything I do. My wife and I often share her car so I don't have to crank a truck. This wasn't the case two or three years ago but ya have to adapt to the world as is in my shoes. In my life, whether in my professional life or my "professional" life, I travel at least 300 miles in a personal vehicle a week if things are slow.

I consider fuel heavily in everything I do. My wife and I often share her car so I don't have to crank a truck. This wasn't the case two or three years ago but ya have to adapt to the world as is in my shoes. In my life, whether in my professional life or my "professional" life, I travel at least 300 miles in a personal vehicle a week if things are slow.
I drive around 25-30,000 miles a year. I should say that I use the truck in questions to feed with also. I'll put out about 250 rolls a year with the Deweze and 75 tons of feed through the trip hopper. I do live at the ranch so it's not like I'm buzzing around to 10 different lese places. The trucks been paid off for several years now so trading it in to save on fuel really isn't gonna be a money saver. When I bought it gas was $2 though.

I drive around 25-30,000 miles a year. I should say that I use the truck in questions to feed with also. I'll put out about 250 rolls a year with the Deweze and 75 tons of feed through the trip hopper. I do live at the ranch so it's not like I'm buzzing around to 10 different lese places. The trucks been paid off for several years now so trading it in to save on fuel really isn't gonna be a money saver. When I bought it gas was $2 though.
Way she goes. You wouldn't envy the situation I'm about to be in. I'll be driving 180 miles a week just to fence a place to get ready to stock it. Well... you know what I say? Screw it, if it was easy, everyone would do it.

Last edited:
That's not happening!
I am moving away from diesel.
Cost upfront for engine plus 💲 extra for fuel, currently 1.50 a gallon it just doesn't pencil out for some testosterone excitement.
Now if you own a business or doing some serious pulling on a regular basis it makes sense.
Well I have eaten crow before, I came home in a diesel! Feet and beaks can be tough to chew.
Couldn't pass on the deal 2022 demo with 30 K miles for 55K before TTL. I will never figure out all the bells and whistles on this thing.
They gave me bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years or 80K miles still has 5yr 100K on drive train.
Never bought a demo truck before, but I half raised the GM and he called saying he had this for me.
Reason I am typing this so late is I have had cow having delivery issues.
I finally got her to the lot. I am pretty sure the calf is dead, head folded back . Cow had her fight on so I just left her to calm down until I can get her in the chute.

Well I have eaten crow before, I came home in a diesel! Feet and beaks can be tough to chew.
Couldn't pass on the deal 2022 demo with 30 K miles for 55K before TTL. I will never figure out all the bells and whistles on this thing.
They gave me bumper to bumper warranty for 4 years or 80K miles still has 5yr 100K on drive train.
Never bought a demo truck before, but I half raised the GM and he called saying he had this for me.
I finally got her to the lot. I am pretty sure the calf is dead, head folded back . Cow had her fight on so I just left her to calm down until I can get her in the chute.
Can you post a few pics? (of the truck, not the cow and calf) :)

😆 you don't have any crow to eat. You said you weren't spending $80k and you didn't. Prices are just crazy these days. We spent $48k on a small GMC SUV for the wife a few months back. It's nice and she seems to like it but it's definitely not top of the line for it's model.

Everyone is saying the bottom is about to fall out on the truck market. It seems that everyone bought trucks in 2020 & 2021 on stimulus money and etc. If it is true about the vast number of these trucks now being repossessed, there are going to be some crazy low prices later this year as the car lots will be overflowing with trucks.

We will have to wait and see.

2022 GMC 2500 Duramax diesel.
21 mpg on hwy.
13 mpg pulling hay trailer

Our gasser 2500 Dodge got horrible gas mileage. I believe it was around 8 pulling trailer.
I can't complain about my Duramax. It's a 2017 and with 33" 10 ply tires if I drive 70-75 it will do around 18mpg. If you do 65mph is will do 20. With the 35x12 nitto, which are extremely heavy, doing 80 it does about 15mpg. Pulling varies from 13-8mpg depending how heavy and how fast you run.

Everyone is saying the bottom is about to fall out on the truck market. It seems that everyone bought trucks in 2020 & 2021 on stimulus money and etc. If it is true about the vast number of these trucks now being repossessed, there are going to be some crazy low prices later this year as the car lots will be overflowing with trucks.

We will have to wait and see.
I sure hope this is the case. I'm in the market for a new rig as well, but just cannot wrap my head around spending that kind of money. Think I will hold out a little longer and see what happens.

Think I am going 1/2 ton gas this time. I plan on keeping my '03 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel for pulling. The problem with the 1/2 ton gas trucks, is all the V8s now come with cylinder deactivation. I just don't like it and don't see how that motor will last 250k miles without issues. This has me leaning towards a used 2021 Toyota Tundra. No cylinder deactivation on this truck. I am not brand loyal, I just want a reliable, long lasting truck.

Now you need to get that back end lowered.
Yep got to make it look like it is overloaded since it never will be. Drop it enough that 10" exhaust tip just clears the ground. Tire to rim ratio is way off too. Should be 22" of chrome and 2" of tire, mud grips of course in case you tailgate at a game with a grass parking lot.

Latest posts