Newsletter

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
This is a link to my last NY Simmental newsletter.
http://newyorksimmental.com/assets/img/NL-JF19.pdf
It is not just Simmental "stuff". Interesting articles. I will try to remember to post on here for anyone interested. If you would like to receive it email, just PM me with your email address, I'll add you to the list. It goes all over the US.
I put together 5 a year.

Good job Jeanne! I was a newsletter editor for a local cattlemen's Assn. for a number of years and know first hand done well its a challenging, time consuming endeavor. :tiphat: :clap:

Great newsletter Jeanne. Doc Hilton is a super guy! Really enjoyed his article on pulling calfs.

76 Bar - yeah, I have been Secretary for over 25 years, and been doing the newsletter most of that time. Very time consuming!!! But, I am proud of it and continue....
The ASA requested me to send it to all of their Trustees, so it goes all over the US.

Great read for sure. Our ways of pulling a calf don't line up exactly, but there's more than one way of skinning a cat. Look forward to future newsletters.

Yeah, I'm not into the "laying down" thing myself. But, it was a good article, and although I am bias as to what I put in the newsletter (LOL), I try to stay open minded to "other" ways of doing things.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yeah, I'm not into the "laying down" thing myself. But, it was a good article, and although I am bias as to what I put in the newsletter (LOL), I try to stay open minded to "other" ways of doing things.

I put them in a head catch to place the chains and pulling rope and then turn most of them loose in the barn alley. A turn around a post and the free end through the loop tied to the chain and we're in business. While most calve standing up, they can lay down whenever they like. Have only used a calf puller twice in 3 years.

Disclaimer...…. there are some heifers that are better pulled in the headcatch. Some would rather fight than be helped!

Yes, we put in a chute, put a halter on them, back them up out of chute to alley that can be opened up. they can lay down if they need to. I just broke down and purchased a puller last month. We haven't "unboxed" it yet. I'm getting old and my nephew (herdsman) has back issues, so I thought it prudent to have one "just in case". So far, we haven't really needed "brute force" - just his strong hands & arms to re-position calves - for past 6 years. (knock on wood!!!).

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Yes, we put in a chute, put a halter on them, back them up out of chute to alley that can be opened up. they can lay down if they need to. I just broke down and purchased a puller last month. We haven't "unboxed" it yet. I'm getting old and my nephew (herdsman) has back issues, so I thought it prudent to have one "just in case". So far, we haven't really needed "brute force" - just his strong hands & arms to re-position calves - for past 6 years. (knock on wood!!!).

Your cattle are gentler than mine. I go sans halter as then I don't have to take it off. Patience and quiet handling and soon they are facing away and basically pulling their own calf. I can release instantly also. So many changes one can make with a rope that can't be done with 6 feet of pipe.

76 Bar said:
Good job Jeanne! I was a newsletter editor for a local cattlemen's Assn. for a number of years and know first hand done well its a challenging, time consuming endeavor. :tiphat: :clap:
76, you're so right. I've done them for a couple organizations as well.
Thanks for sharing, Jeanne. Great info.

Thanks
I just scared myself. All of a sudden, I thought I needed to get another one by end of April - but, phew, nope, next one is April/May, so I have some more time. Did make me look at how many articles I had already made up and it turned out I have 10 pages of articles. Better get on the ball and start reading to find more articles! I always make newsletter 24 pages - that's exactly 2 oz for mailing cost.

Great articles in a recent Western Livestock Journal newspaper regarding crypto in calves and how to nurse them through it/therapy. If I can find the sources I'll send/direct you to them.

76 Bar said:
Great articles in a recent Western Livestock Journal newspaper regarding crypto in calves and how to nurse them through it/therapy. If I can find the sources I'll send/direct you to them.

Thanks!! I rarely/never read hard copy magazines any more. Everything on line - so I can "cut & paste" it (well, not quite that easy - got to get it to fit, etc. I always use the source's logo. Never had a problem except one time - when I lost my Husband, I printed "The Dash" poem. Since the newsletter is put on our web site, they picked it up and tried to sue me. :shock:

Latest posts