NH baler jumped time

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Everything I touch breaks in some way or another.

NH 855...jumped time. The bars are crooked, maybe just a tooth or 2 on the sprocket. It doesn't seem like alot but it is enough to make it bang. Hubby is over the road ans says I can't bale anymore and I have to find a way to fix it. He said I must have filled one side too much too fast.

Any help?

Not meaning to sound like a smart asz but if he told me that I would hook it to the truck and take it and trade it for a good belt baler. No more chain troubles. JD, NH, and Vermeer are all good. Oh yes, and wear his favorite sexy nightie for him.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how it could jump time. I have broken more chains on my 851 than most until I finally went and bought all new ones.

Guys correct me if I am wrong but I see no way for that 855 to jump time. PTO turns a gear box which turns the main drive chain, which turns the pick up and the roller chain and the floor chain. I suspect something is amiss somewhere but not out of time. I have busted every chain on mine and just stuck them back together. Now, if you bent a roller bar it sure will make a bang. Too much slack in the roller chain will cause it also. I have had to remove a bar and some chain as mine stretched beyond adjustment.

flaboy?":3q0v2fvs said:
I'm sitting here trying to figure out how it could jump time. I have broken more chains on my 851 than most until I finally went and bought all new ones.

Guys correct me if I am wrong but I see no way for that 855 to jump time. PTO turns a gear box which turns the main drive chain, which turns the pick up and the roller chain and the floor chain. I suspect something is amiss somewhere but not out of time. I have busted every chain on mine and just stuck them back together. Now, if you bent a roller bar it sure will make a bang. Too much slack in the roller chain will cause it also. I have had to remove a bar and some chain as mine stretched beyond adjustment.

I think what she is talking about is one of the two bale forming drive chains has slipped one or two teeth thus the bars are running at an angle.

I am curious though. Is this the same 855 that was having a problem with the twine cutter knives? Did you get that straightened out?

Welcome to grass farming and hay baling. If you don't have break downs you got way too new of equipment and way too much money to be farming/ranching. :lol:

Oh, I got ya Earl. Yeah I see how that could happen. If the roller chain (bale former) is out of sync with the other side that could be a real problem.

When I hear someone mention jumped timing on a baler I think about my old square baler. When they jump time the needles get broke.

ok ive read the responses.an ive never had or seen a round baler jump time.ive had them break the chain.had the chain get to loose.to the point you take links out an tightenthe chain.but if the drive chain is out of time.id chain the rollwer sproket an the bearings.an also make sure you have no broken sprocket teeth.but really sounds like you need a new drive chain.

certherfbeef":3feg1oc7 said:
Everything I touch breaks in some way or another.

NH 855...jumped time. The bars are crooked, maybe just a tooth or 2 on the sprocket. It doesn't seem like alot but it is enough to make it bang. Hubby is over the road ans says I can't bale anymore and I have to find a way to fix it. He said I must have filled one side too much too fast.

Any help?

Cert you have tension bars on the back of this model? There should be a nut on each side of the pickup reel you can take off these fit the tension bars so you can screw them down to get the tension off. If so you are going to have to get the tension off and get you chains and bars realigned. You should have a bar then either two links or three links of chain and another bar. You are one tooth out of algin on one side in other words one roller bar needs to go forward or backward a tooth until they line up straight in the sprockets.
You have my number if you need further explaination.

flaboy?":2yi6xxcy said:
Oh, I got ya Earl. Yeah I see how that could happen. If the roller chain (bale former) is out of sync with the other side that could be a real problem.

When I hear someone mention jumped timing on a baler I think about my old square baler. When they jump time the needles get broke.

Man, you got that right!!!! Sometimes breaks the knotter too.

Cabo":3vwprgnh said:
Not meaning to sound like a smart asz but if he told me that I would hook it to the truck and take it and trade it for a good belt baler. No more chain troubles. JD, NH, and Vermeer are all good.
Not an option. This unit is not that old and it is in good shape...and paid for. First trouble with this baler, chains or otherwise.
Cabo":3vwprgnh said:
Oh yes, and wear his favorite sexy nightie for him.
Not an option either. I prefer one of his shirts.

flaboy?":3vwprgnh said:

Only bangs when the chamber is less than half full. Several Bars were replaced 2 years ago. How in the world would I have bent a roller bar making dry hay?

Earl Thigpen":3vwprgnh said:
I think what she is talking about is one of the two bale forming drive chains has slipped one or two teeth thus the bars are running at an angle.
Yep, you hit the nail on the head.

I am curious though. Is this the same 855 that was having a problem with the twine cutter knives? Did you get that straightened out?
That was not my baler. Besides, I can fix that problem in no time.

Welcome to grass farming and hay baling. If you don't have break downs you got way too new of equipment and way too much money to be farming/ranching. :lol:
I don't have new equipment. I'm not new to farming...been doing it all my life. The problem lies in the part where hubby is over the road in the KW and I'm left to play mechanic by myself. I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

Cert you have tension bars on the back of this model? There should be a nut on each side of the pickup reel you can take off these fit the tension bars so you can screw them down to get the tension off. If so you are going to have to get the tension off and get you chains and bars realigned. You should have a bar then either two links or three links of chain and another bar. You are one tooth out of algin on one side in other words one roller bar needs to go forward or backward a tooth until they line up straight in the sprockets.
You have my number if you need further explaination.[/quote]

Thanks CB. It is raining (thank you Lord) and I have no shop or garage. When it slows down I'll head out and look her over again.
Hubby won't be home till saturday sometime. I have a day yet. :D

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I'll let ya know if I get it done and stay out of trouble with hubby.

Seems to me my 851 has a means of releasing the tension on those chains short of unscrewing the big ole tension springs CB mentioned but I don't have the manual here with me to verify. If you can release the tension somehow on those chains short of releasing the tension springs it shouldn't be too hard to get them back in alignment. You will have several gears that you will have to skip the links on though, not just one.

Sounds to like the roller chains were too sloppy to begin with and allowed it slip on the sprockets. Like I said I had to take a bar and a couple links out of mine from stretching over time.

Be careful around those tension springs. They are big ole suckers and are under a lot of pressure.

Got the manual? If so look to see if you can't relax the tension via another means.

Cert .This baler have airbags?..if it does check your air pressure.A bad bearing in a sprocket will cause problems. another place to check is up top on the baler chain .check these idlers/ wear plates not sure what the proper name is for them heres a pic

DCP_0682.jpg

You could have a bent brace that the bars are hitting on.good luck

Cert; Lock your endgate up and drop the air pressure to slack your chain; usually you can get enough slack to straigten the chain on the drive roller. The tail gate roller is the tough one as you have the bars to contend with but with help you can sometimes get it back in place. Sometimes you have to drop the endgate and pull the mounting bolts off the tailgate roller and pivot it to reset the chain. Check the rubber pads on the centre of this roller also as they will allow the bars to slip if they are worn. The chain is heavy and it is best to have help for this job! Good luck!

Latest posts