Nissan Titan XD 5.0 Cummins

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
Starting this post to answer some questions from Snoopdogs post about the 6.2 Ford and my reply, I did not intend to hijack Snoopdogs post. I bought a 2018 Titan XD 5.0 Cummins and now has 8k miles on it. My biggest complaint right out of the box is the small fuel tank. I had already read about it and knew this going in. If I pulled trailers thousands of miles a month, this really would be an issue. As it is, traveling 75mph loaded near tow capacity you can expect to have to stop every 200 miles or so.
I was really kind of worried about the trucks suspension capacity to handle what I normally towed with my 13' F-250, on paper it looked like it would but in the real world was my worry. My normal heavy load is a Case 485 with foam filled front tires/water rears with FEL and a 7' cross cut disc(rated for 80hp) on my 25' GN. I should be somewhere in the 10k range, I need to re weigh it. After hooking up the combo, it held the weight just as good,if not better than the F250 but the F250 had many a heavy load on it and was pretty well used/abused. At this time I would not be afraid to load it like I did the F-250.

MPG empty/no trailer
My empty MPG is steadily getting better. When I first got it I was in the 15-16mpg area and really thought I made a mistake. I had read posts about 21-23 but I was no where near that MPG. It seemed like when I got over the 6k mark on the truck my MPG's start increasing. On IH37 here in south Texas I am now averaging 22-23 as long as I keep it under 78mph. I have played with it and for what ever reason if I set cruise over 78mph the mpg's drop. I have never tried it at 55 or 65, not sure where it would be. I can tell you that cruise set at 90mph I get 16-17, right n that area. When in west Texas and around 100mph on I-10 its in the 15mpg area give or take on the winds out there.

MPG pulling trailers
Hauling the tractor at 75 I am in the 13-14mpg range as best as I can tell. Usually 30-50 mile jumps city/hwy so kind of hard to get a read on it. I did pull my cargo trailer to Kansas in October right after I bought the truck. The trailer is a flat front 8'wide x 6'6" tall on the inside-so about 9' outside x 20' long. It was loaded tip to tail/ top to bottom with my son/his wifes things. I was helping them move to Fort Riley after he returned from overseas deployment. The trailer empty is like pulling a parachute, its just a hard pulling trailer. I got my best mpg at 65 while trying to keep my speed up. I was averaging mid 13's on the way up. On the return trip with empty trailer I was against a strong head wind and could not get over 10mpg in the first 200 miles. After the first fill up I just hammered on it coming home. I was running the anywhere from the speed limit to 90 depending on traffic/hwy conditions. I was averaging in the 9's like that.

On price, it really depends on when you look at them. I bought 2 Titan regular cab gasser trucks, then went back and traded my f-250 in on this one all with in a 10 day stretch. Nissan had the 11-13k discounts going at the time. My regular cab trucks were 17 holdovers and they had very good pricing. My 18' Cummins is the SV package which I believe to be equal to Fords XLT package. I am normally a XL person so this truck is loaded up for me. The SV's with discounts will come in around 38k and up, I think. My dealer was working on price after discounts on my deal. Ford/Chevy/Dodge would not even get close with the base model diesel, plus Nissan has the 5 year/100k bumper to bumper warranty now. Nissan packages ran from the base to the loaded. Models S,SL,SV, Pro-4x and Platinum Reserve...I believe that's the correct order.
The Cummins first came out in 16's and there were issues with those from what all I read prior to buying.
My truck came with the GN hitch/ Ebrake controller etc

Kingfisher":1b6s3zpi said:
How are the brakes?
No complaints on the brakes. Stops every bit as good as my F-250/ Dodge 3500 as far as I can tell. Now in all fairness, I have not had a heavy load on it that did not have trailer brakes. I just saw a commercial and it seems they are having a year end sale with big discounts

Latest posts