Observations

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't watched any other sales but yeah that sounds like par for the course. Southeast cattle generally sell cheaper, even though the quality of cattle here have improved significantly over the years.
Watching one now in Mascot, TN, and dang if the 4 and 500 weight heifers aren't beating MO prices! Some times, there is just no rhyme nor reason to it. So hard to predict what will happen at a given place on a given day. Well, I am about to head to Calhoun. Cattle is supposed to start at 1:30, but it looked like they had about 500 goats and sheep already last night. Seems like they are getting more and more each week. But that's ok, a lot of us are hoping if the numbers keep growing that they will just start doing goats, sheep, hogs, and equines on another day.

Watching one now in Mascot, TN, and dang if the 4 and 500 weight heifers aren't beating MO prices! Some times, there is just no rhyme nor reason to it. So hard to predict what will happen at a given place on a given day. Well, I am about to head to Calhoun. Cattle is supposed to start at 1:30, but it looked like they had about 500 goats and sheep already last night. Seems like they are getting more and more each week. But that's ok, a lot of us are hoping if the numbers keep growing that they will just start doing goats, sheep, hogs, and equines on another day.
A friend is co-manager at Mascot and he said today was the highest sale he ever attended. He works 4 sales a week in TN and Ky so he sees a lot of cattle sell.

I haven't watched any other sales but yeah that sounds like par for the course. Southeast cattle generally sell cheaper, even though the quality of cattle here have improved significantly over the years.
It can take years to repair a bad reputation. On a smaller scale the same thing happens here. Cattle in Eastern Oregon and Washington sell much higher than the same cattle on the west side of the Cascades. I have heard them referred to as those snotty nosed coast cattle.

There are a couple areas here where feeder calves sell lower because the sellers generally have no vaccination program at all. Very few background calves as many do in the US but there are also many that give no shots at all and wonder why things happen.

Maybe, apparently if they do, crossing the Mississippi River is the cure for cattle cooties.
I just started watching a KY sale that started at 7PM.Blues Grass Stockyards of Campbellsville. After dark must be the time to sell cows in KY! 1000lb heavy bred Angus $2400/hd. Heavy bred black baldies $2000 to $2300 so far.

1000lb 4-06 mos bred Angus, $1850

1-3 months bred $1650

709 mos bred, 1500lb black Simm $2025.

Last edited:
I just started watching a KY sale that started at 7PM.Blues Grass Stockyards of Campbellsville. After dark must be the time to sell cows in KY! 1000lb heavy bred Angus $2400/hd. Heavy bred black baldies $2000 to $2300 so far.

1000lb 4-06 mos bred Angus, $1850

1-3 months bred $1650

709 mos bred, 1500lb black Simm $2025.
They have what they call special monthly cow sales at some of the Bluegrass Stockyards locations generally on a certain weeknight depending on location.
Probably several cows that are sold at the regular weekly sales get bought and end up there as those special sales do some better.

They have what they call special monthly cow sales at some of the Bluegrass Stockyards locations generally on a certain weeknight depending on location.
Probably several cows that are sold at the regular weekly sales get bought and end up there as those special sales do some better.
So far it has been bred cows and a few pairs for this first hour and a half. None of them are junk., either. You have those good KY cows bringing Missouri prices! :) Off color cows are just $100-$200 at the most off the price of the black ones. Red pairs maybe $300 off the price of black pairs, at the most. Saw a black cow with a pure white calf sell for what the others were, ,and one yellow cow with a black calf, that was $1950 for the pair, while black pairs are $2500 and up. That calf was 400 lbs easy. Whoever bought them will be able to sell him for $1200, so won t have $800 in that cow when its al done, fees paid etc. That was a DEAL. She was a little over 1100 lbs. Just sold a 1000lb black cow with her first calf..,a bwf heifer for $2250. HOw far are you from Campbellsville?

So far it has been bred cows and a few pairs for this first hour and a half. None of them are junk., either. You have those good KY cows bringing Missouri prices! :) Off color cows are just $100-$200 at the most off the price of the black ones. Red pairs maybe $300 off the price of black pairs, at the most. Saw a black cow with a pure white calf sell for what the others were, ,and one yellow cow with a black calf, that was $1950 for the pair, while black pairs are $2500 and up. That calf was 400 lbs easy. Whoever bought them will be able to sell him for $1200, so won t have $800 in that cow when its al done, fees paid etc. That was a DEAL. She was a little over 1100 lbs. Just sold a 1000lb black cow with her first calf..,a bwf heifer for $2250. HOw far are you from Campbellsville?

We right around 100 miles from Campbellsville. I've been to that yards several times quite a few years ago when my parents were buying feeder calves they'd go quite a ways sometimes to a feeder sale. It's probably been 25 -30 years since I've been there to that yards.
Used to be a lot dairy farms in that area too, don't know if they still are or not.

We right around 100 miles from Campbellsville. I've been to that yards several times quite a few years ago when my parents were buying feeder calves they'd go quite a ways sometimes to a feeder sale. It's probably been 25 -30 years since I've been there to that yards.
Used to be a lot dairy farms in that area too, don't know if they still are or not.
Looks to me like they have Black Angus, black baldies, black and bwf Simms, mostly. And every cow I have seen so far, is in top condition.

Watching the KY Beef Expo sale right now. Selling registered Red Poll, Shorthorn,, Gelbvieh, and Black hereford. Doing red poll first, and so far, the breeders would have gotten more for them at the local sales by the pound!

Watching the KY Beef Expo sale right now. Selling registered Red Poll, Shorthorn,, Gelbvieh, and Black hereford. Doing red poll first, and so far, the breeders would have gotten more for them at the local sales by the pound!
Actually , there were two other sales going on at the same time, in different rings Another was Simm and Herford, and the 3rd was Angus. How big a facility is this, @Ky hills ? From bits and pieces I heard by announcers and auctioneers, there was stuff going on last night, and will be tomorrow, too.

The Ky Beef Expo is held at the Ky Exhibition Center in Louisville, the site of Freedom Hall Arena, a football stadium, the Ky State Fair, and the North American Livestock Show in November.
I spent a lot of time there when my daughters were younger showing sheep, sometimes sleeping in the barns. It is a large facility with a number of buildings. Broadbent Arena, Newmarket Hall and the West Wing house most of the livestock action.
It seems the Ky Beef Expo has struggled in recent years with numbers and prices. I watched the sale this morning with my finger on the BID button, thinking I might pick up a bull to breed some heifers to. I actually thought the prices were a little better this year for what was being sold.
I did not buy anything, it is two hours from my home and a drizzly muddy day.
Ended up going to an Amish hay auction and buying a pick up load of square bales. That is more my speed at this stage of my life.

Last edited:
Thanks. Looks like a cool place. KInda like our facility down in Perry, but a lot bigger than ours.
The Machinery show was there 2 weeks ago. It is very hard to walk through in a day. Its 2 days to see it if you look much or talk to anyone.
The beef expo is in a small part of the building.

Looks like it's a lot smaller than when I was going in the early 90's, I believe if I remember right there were at least 13 breeds represented. Among those were Charolais, the reason we went, and there were also Limousin, Gelbviehs, Beefalo, and possibly Santa Gertrudis. I know that at one point Santa Gertrudis were a breed shown at our KY State Fair held at the same facility.
Not to dredge up the old conversation but it does seem to fit. This is what happens when one breed and one hide color comes to prominence, other breeds and the genetic integrity of other breeds is lost or altered.

Latest posts