ok to talk about small equip? 4 - wheelers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
thinking of buying a new horse. Any advice/recommendations on 4 wheelers/golfcarts - that sort of thing? Mud is NOT a problem around here :( :mad: but rocks, cactus and heat are. ;-)

Would like to be able to haul a passenger or small bale/couple of salt blocks etc. I am pretty stout too - :oops: so no 50 cc toys, I think.

Kawasaki Mule. If that mule won;t get it done you need a hooofed version or a horse.

dun

which model were you recommending? I like the picture of the little red 600, but bet it is too lightweight for the conditions around here. and if you don't mind why do you like Kasasaki?

We have a Kawasaki mule, diesel 4X4. Have had a gas 4X2 Mule, and a John Deere Gator diesel 4X6. All were adequate here. Mule's are faster and did everything we asked them to, but I miss that Gator. The Gator hauled more, and got around the ranch a better. But I would recommend either the mule or gator to anyone. good luck.

Ryan

Just bought a 88 Suzuki Samurai for the same purpose. Basically a mini jeep & cost less than a well used atv. Will out haul most atv's, seats 2 & enough room for a big guy. Can also pull a small trailer. According to the reviews they are supposed to be extremely tough, rugged & reliable. Another plus is they can be highway legal. Lots of add-on goodies available. Found mine on Autotrader.com

BTW-the Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker replaced the Samurai. Were built both as 4X4 & 2X4.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

anybody have opinion on repair frequency/parts etc?

What kind of milage does that Suzuki get? I like the idea of having it be street legal too - but can't some of those galf-cart things be legal too? Thought I had seen a couple around town? Probably not fast enough for the interstate but I am sick of paying $3 and driving the big vehicles around to check waters etc.

have access to a dune buggy that gets great milage, but its a pain to get in and out of and you can't haul anything in it. well may one sack or a block of salt, but....

I like the Kawasai basicly because I have 2 of them. Bought them both used (abused) The new one is a 4X4, 10-11 years old, last year we had to have some transmission work and new brakes on it. Had to replace the temp sensor that turns on the cooling fan 3 years ago. That's about it for repair. It's more manueverable then the smallist GEO or Suzuki vehicles. I regularly haul a 5X10 trailer loaded with firewood out of the woods with it. They're versatile too.
mule-rake.jpg

mule-hay.jpg

Texas PaPaw":e2odckfa said:
Just bought a 88 Suzuki Samurai for the same purpose. Basically a mini jeep & cost less than a well used atv. Will out haul most atv's, seats 2 & enough room for a big guy. Can also pull a small trailer. According to the reviews they are supposed to be extremely tough, rugged & reliable.

BTW-the Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker replaced the Samurai. Were built both as 4X4 & 2X4.

I am looking at a Tracker for the farm for all the reasons you mentioned. Some folks also use them around here for hauling fishing houses over thin ice...

Any design weak points, or typical mileage before they start giving trouble?

Hippie Rancher":br81lv70 said:
thinking of buying a new horse. Any advice/recommendations on 4 wheelers/golfcarts - that sort of thing? Mud is NOT a problem around here :( :mad: but rocks, cactus and heat are. ;-)

Would like to be able to haul a passenger or small bale/couple of salt blocks etc. I am pretty stout too - :oops: so no 50 cc toys, I think.

Look into a Kubota ATV. We've hauled up to 10 bales of hay at one time, we also use it for irrigating, picking up tree limbs, running around on the property spot spraying, it can and will tow a small trailer (in our case a pipe trailer for laying irrigation pipe), it will accomdate up to 3 people, 4 wheel drive, you can choose manual or hydraulic lift on the box, and can choose from many different options.

We have a Kawasaki Mule 4x4 diesel works great for most things (note duns pic ).

It was cheeper than the Kubota.

Cost wise I believe a used Suzuki Samuri or any used smaller Jeep type vehicle will be cheaper than new 4 wheelers. We have 2 Yamaha Grizzly 660. I find they are very versitile. I can tow 1 Round Bale behind it in a trailer if need be. Heck I can tow just about anything I own behind it. Its smaller than a jeep size allows me to go just about anywhere including creek bottoms. I beleive any of the suggestions you recieved from other posters will work, you just need to decide exactly what you will be requiring from this piece of equipment and choose accordingly. I will admit that I have admired the Kubota Diesel version of the Mule, I believe it to be a solid piece of equipment. Good Luck. TRM

That stuff is too small and breaks too often. My neighbor has gone through three of those jap wheel barrows and I am still on my first used Jeep that had 140,000 miles on it when I bought it. Get a Jeep, lift it up, stuff some big ol tires under her, throw a posi trac in the front and rear and you are home free for many years to come.

You can get a pretty good condition Jeep for the cost of these toys. That's just my opinion though.

flaboy-":11uhc8b7 said:
That stuff is too small and breaks too often. My neighbor has gone through three of those jap wheel barrows and I am still on my first used Jeep that had 140,000 miles on it when I bought it. Get a Jeep, lift it up, stuff some big ol tires under her, throw a posi trac in the front and rear and you are home free for many years to come.

You can get a pretty good condition Jeep for the cost of these toys. That's just my opinion though.

How about a picture of this Cattlelack? :)

cfpinz

Around our place I used an '89 Isuzu trooper. Ripped the back seat out for tools, welded up a rack where the spare tire used to mount for a HT wire spool, rack on top for fence posts, pulls hay wagons and equipment just fine, 4x4 has never left me stuck anywhere. I did borrow the neighbors polaris quad runner to spray fences this year and I have to say it was pretty convenient and fast.

cfpinz":2fvwlrc9 said:
flaboy-":2fvwlrc9 said:

cfpinz

By popular request.

LabBuggyRight.jpg

I remember when the Suzuki Samurai came out there was a big deal about it being the only vehicle ever sold in America that Consumer Reports deemed "unsafe" due to an excessive tendancy to rollover.

Not sure that would be my first pick for driving in rough terain.

flaboy-":2gckn7ls said:
cfpinz":2gckn7ls said:
flaboy-":2gckn7ls said:

cfpinz

By popular request.

LabBuggyRight.jpg

That wouldn't stay pretty very long where I live as we don't have concrete roads or curbs and gutters, just red clay and limestone.

Caustic Burno":1naprgl3 said:
flaboy-":1naprgl3 said:
cfpinz":1naprgl3 said:
flaboy-":1naprgl3 said:

cfpinz

By popular request.

LabBuggyRight.jpg

That wouldn't stay pretty very long where I live as we don't have concrete roads or curbs and gutters, just red clay and limestone.
Doubt that jeep ever leaves the pavement. Just a babe magnet. ;-)

flaboy - Nice jeep! But come on now, farm use??? :lol: I'll bet you've picked up a lot of heifers in that thing! 8) :lol:

cfpinz

Latest posts