Older hay conditioner

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P

Reaction score
Looking for a used pto-driven hay conditioner... something like a New Holland 404. Don't need the mower or
Not doing hay, but I have another use and need the rollers to be functional. Don't need the mower or intake reel... just the rollers.
I'm finding some advertised in Canada... but none down here in the KY/TN area... surely there are some sitting around barnlots... or did they all go to scrap 10 years back when it was at an all-time high.
Anybody here got a line on one? PM me, if so.

Got a JD sitting in an old shed half sunk in the ground. I would gladly give it to you if you were closer. I don't know if I have ever seen another one in the area - either they were not common or they went for scrap shortly after moco's showed up.

I have a 404 I bought to go with my drum mower when I first bought it. In the area are lots of farms that have been here for generations. One in particular was on the way to town and I saw a lot of old implements just rusting away. Figured a stand alone crimper had to be pre mid 1960's because my JD 1207/9s were mid to late 60's as I recall.
I stopped by the farm one day and told the guy my problem. He was interested, we walked his lot and there it was. Wanted $400 for it which I thought was high but jumped on it. Drive sprocket was toast so I got a new one at TSC, cut the old one down (since I couldn't get it off) and welded the new one onto the old. New 60 I think, chain from TSC also and I was in business.

Running one on long stemmed crops, over 3' for a number, requires Independent or Live PTO. Tranny PTO just gets you in a "jam"......literally.

Seems every time I do hay it's different due to everything is never the same. I really don't use mine any more as it is setup to go with a WW 9' cutter and all my equipment is setup on 6' What I have to do is get the rake and rake every other row over close to the adjacent one so that the crimper has room for the tires to run on clear ground. Taking better control of the size of my crop and using my tedder more than once suffices for me even on Sudan-sorghum, haygrazer crops.

I have a conditioner from an Owatonna swather.. Just the rollers and frame... they're steel rollers... you might find those in your area

As the auctioneer finally said at the last conditioner I seen auctioned "no worth, less move along folks".........

jltrent said:
As the auctioneer finally said at the last conditioner I seen auctioned "no worth, less move along folks".........

Tich-tich. Value is in the eye of the beholder! Different strokes for different folks....(TV show some years back)

Latest posts