Over seeding ryegrass with cattle on pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, will work great if you can tighten the cattle down with polywire and graze the grass down hard. Broadcast before you move onto a section of the pasture. Broadcast from now to Christmas if you need that long. Get off that section after it's grazed down. Maybe 30 lbs./A. By mid-February in your country, you'll have excellent grazing!

DCA farm said:
Think I'm gonna put some ryegrass seed into the existing grass on the pasture my cattle are currently on And let them work it In anybody seed ryegrass this way

Just finished 10 acres in rye grass and 6 in clover. I over seed at 50lbs per acre. That's the last ryegrass.
I didn't replant for 10 of more years last years seed bank didn't germinate. That's one reason I don't use Grazon.

Caustic Burno said:
DCA farm said:
Think I'm gonna put some ryegrass seed into the existing grass on the pasture my cattle are currently on And let them work it In anybody seed ryegrass this way

Just finished 10 acres in rye grass and 6 in clover. I over seed at 50lbs per acre. That's the last ryegrass.
I didn't replant for 10 of more years last years seed bank didn't germinate. That's one reason I don't use Grazon.

I'm pretty much experimenting to see what works best for my operation started planting ryegrass 2 years ago and I made the mistake of running a disk across a pasture full of good clean Baha'i grass and planting it in rye grass it came in good but I hurt the Baha'i and it's still hurt in that particular pasture So I only disked bad spots last year and over seeded with animals off pasture last year It was very spotty growth good on some places not so good in others so this year I will try overseeding with animals on pasture. To see if they will work it into the ground for me

Bahia was my main grass for decades along with common Bermuda. Bahia doesn't like a disc . Best to over seed IMO.

I planted Red River crab grass in a five acre test plot ten or so years back.
It has almost taken over, best move I made.

Caustic Burno said:
Bahia was my main grass for decades along with common Bermuda. Bahia doesn't like a disc . Best to over seed IMO.

I planted Red River crab grass in a five acre test plot ten or so years back.
It has almost taken over, best move I made.

Lesson learned the hard way. I've thought about planting crab grass because I've had some come up natural and the cows eat the heck out of it

Hey Caustic,

Did the crabgrass choke out the smuttgrass? Did you plant crabgrass in the fall or spring? Is it a hard seed?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl said:
Hey Caustic,

Did the crabgrass choke out the smuttgrass? Did you plant crabgrass in the fall or spring? Is it a hard seed?

Thanks,
Farmgirl
Planted in the spring.
Only thing that has choked out the smut grass is round up.
That's a constant battle spot spraying every year. I have knocked it way back over the years, I think total eradication is impossible.

Caustic, sounds like you need to send RL Dalrymple a thank you card! He would appreciate hearing from you! He did us all a big favor with his crabgrass research.

If you are broadcasting just hook a chain drag, chain link fence section, limbs etc. with a chain behind. anything that gets a little dirt or residue over the ryegrass will help germination.

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
Old picture of crab grass, this was my old Bahia hay field. This was where I first planted.

This is a 1/4 mile away.

What are those white things in the second picture?

Cattle egrets. They walk with the cattle catching bugs, mice and snakes the cattle disturbed. The only thing I have seen they won't eat is a toad frog.

sstterry said:
It appears that the Red River Crabgrass is pretty pricy stuff at $5-8 lb. Can you frost seed it?

Over the decades of this journey I have planted most every kind of bermuda, Alica grass, African Star, Argentine, Paraguay and Pensacola Bahia.
Bahia was the winner for producing the most low cost forage for my environment. And then came Red River nothing compares IMO . It is actually choking out the Bahia and is better forage. I do fertilize my pastures at 200 lbs per acre, it's the cheapest feed you can put in a bovine. As you can see on the cattle in the picture are rolling fat on grass alone.

sstterry said:
It appears that the Red River Crabgrass is pretty pricy stuff at $5-8 lb. Can you frost seed it?

Is you did, you dang sure need to use a unhulled seed. Common sense right.
Crabgrass doesn't do well in all soil types, call darymple. Just make sure you have time to talk.lol

As far as trampling in any type of seed. Or dragging with chain link, a old gate etc. Anything can work if you get the proper rainfall.
But you'll never get as good and uniform results as using the right tool on properly prepared ground. Tiny seed like crabgrass should have a good smooth seedbed and planted with something like a brillion or a drill with a small seed box . ....if you want it to be all it can be..

Latest posts