Packers chasing cattle in June

Help Support CattleToday:

went to the yard yesterday. angus pairs going for 3600 - 4k. SS bred were 3k+

cheapest pair was a heifer corr w/ a newborn. 1200 bucks.

i went home empty.. was wanting to pick up atleast 10 pairs. I liked one guys cows but they were only 900 lb cows but with nice calves.. didn't think those small cows were worth 3600 / pair though.

Thursday is July fourth. That's like the beginning of the end of grilling season. Once the coolers get full I could easily see this kill cow market slide down $0.20 for a while.
As soon as there is even a whiff of the packers losing any of their profit margin they will slam on the brakes.

We are going to bring some more big calves home this next week from pasture cows are due in Oct....most of the cows have already weaned the calves, their bags are dried up.... and another load of 10-20 steers is going in 2 weeks. Some cull cows we were going to carry until Aug or Sept with their smaller calves, out on pasture to put some condition on them and grow the calves a bit, will be going by the end of July along with a bull that is getting a little age and has a slight limp.... If we don't get some rain in the next week or 2... there might be some heifers going also... not going to wait until the prices start to drop as everyone around here runs out of grass and there is very little hay available anywhere... got people calling already and we have told them that we don't have any to sell....
We just bought 60 6x6 rolls.... nice hay... made perfect.... $75 roll and we have to haul....So will have nearly $90 in them... but it will see to it that we don't get in trouble with no hay this winter... more of a "cushion" but if the pastures dry up anymore... we might have to feed some sooner than we want... Hence the heavier culling right now when we can see a return...

Latest posts