Pepper, which is hotter, adds more spice?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm working on a chili recipe, using waco's as a base, from the " help with a Texas style chile" thread. I did adjust it a little from scratch but it is close to what I want. On wacocowboy's recipe I added cummin, but still a little flat for my taste buds, I don't want it too hot. So had a couple of chili dogs last night and reheating it again in the crock pot tonight.

I added a little more chili powder and some red pepper. My question is which is a hotter spice, red pepper, cayenne pepper or white pepper? Again I don't want too much heat just more flavor.

Thanks Waco!

Thanks, Alan

I had pickled habanero peppers once... a very white irish coworker of mine dared me, and I made him have one too.. I'm just fairly used to spicy food.. I'll say they had the most wonderful aroma, it was like a bouquet of flowers for the first half minute, and then there was the heat that came on.. wow... He didn't fare too well, you could have used him as a color match for a massey tractor!

I'm not that fond of jalapenos, but LOVE cayennes... y'know those cayenne seeds in oil at some asian restaurants? I got to the point I was putting a spoonful of them on every wonton... got a lot of wide-eyes from the waiters.

HDRider":20qq786a said:
Hook":20qq786a said:
Habineros. Adds flavor and heat. Or ghost peppers. Can't go wrong with either
You bad man.
Yes he is. Those ghost peppers make ghost poopies. After you're purged, you'll still run to the throne and swear you shyt, and nothing. The dry butt heaves. Awful

HDRider":27u4d8rz said:
Hook":27u4d8rz said:
You bad man.

Yes he is! I know about ghost peppers and heat, hook you do have the right avatar! :mrgreen:

TennesseeTuxedo":1qd4mkb2 said:
Use some cumin and black pepper with chili powder.

Thanks TT, I added some black pepper. I added more chile powder and red pepper before I posted this question, the black pepper really helped and yes I sampled the chili with just red pepper and more chili powder than added more black pepper on your suggestion, getting closer!

Thanks again Waco for getting me going in a good direction, I'm close.

Alan

I like chili flavor without too much heat. Habanero is waaaay too hot for me! I like the smokiness of Chipotle, guajillo chiles have a great aroma and flavor, so do ancho chiles. I am trying to come up with the perfect blend to make my own chili powder/seasoning but I'm not there yet either.

Alan":3rtrs9xh said:
HDRider":3rtrs9xh said:
Hook":3rtrs9xh said:
You bad man.

Yes he is! I know about ghost peppers and heat, hook you do have the right avatar! :mrgreen:

While your jacking with those peppers don't scratch your balls or take a pi$$ off the back porch. :mrgreen:

My BIL grew some ghost peppers last year, I told him he was crazy.

Mo, I'm trying to get a great chili also, with addition of red pepper and black pepper I'm a lot closer. Close enough to keep the base recipe and tweak it a little next batch. BTW I made up some of Jo's pizza sticks in hog casings, makes for a GREAT chili dog!

Thanks Waco and Jo!

Latest posts