Picked up a donkey...have some questions.

Help Support CattleToday:

imq707s

Reaction score
We picked up a small Mediterranean donkey a few days ago to put with our two Scottish Highland heifer yearlings. According to the lady we got him from, he's around 2 years old. He's not gelded yet, but is very affectionate, calm, and will follow you around where ever you go.

He's obviously been worked with quite a bit, he let me pick up each of his feet to take a look at his hooves the first day we got him, and he didn't have a problem with it at all. He doesn't seem to mind our two dogs either....they will run into the field, and he will just walk up and sniff them, and then walk off.

I had a few questions about taking care of him.......

1. Do I need to worry about gelding him? He seems extremely calm, sweet, and non aggressive.

2. I've got a salt block out for him, but I've noticed that every now and then I'll see him licking on the 20% protein lick tub that I have out for the Highlands....will that hurt him at all?

3. How often do I need to have his hooves trimmed? And how do I know when it's time to get this done?

Thanks!!

I've owned donkeys for since 1974 and used to raise & show them. If he were mind, I would geld him. As he matures, he may become aggressive and bored and start trying to fight the cattle.

Depending on your ground, his hooves should probably be trimmed by a farrier every 6 to 8 weeks. If your ground is hard and dry, they may chip off on their own, but it is best if you get someone to maintain them so that he doesn't get leg problems.

The protein tub is not good for him, especially if it has urea in it. It can kill him. I buy a lower protein tub (16% that is safe for horses and cattle). If you can, read the contents label and warnings for your protein tub. If it doesn't have one, call the place you bought it and find out.

Donkeys make great pets and are very smart. Don't feed him treats from your hand because it can cause him to start biting. They get along well with good grass and hay in the winter. They hate getting wet.

Hope that you enjoy him. My oldest donkey is 38 years old. I bought her when she was a foal. I owned her brother and he passed away last September at the age of 38.

Thanks for all of the information on the Donkey. I checked the label on the lick tub that I have for the cows, it's an "all natural" 20% protein lick tub designs for Cattle, Horses, and other Equines. I don't see him over at the tub much, just every now and then. The only reason I have it out for the cows is because the people we bought them from suggested it, but they raise their highlands for beef…we have them for pets as the most part, may try to breed them in a few years.

I will try to find a local Ferrier who knows donkeys, it would be nice to at least have someone check out his hooves and maybe a little trim if needed.

I'll have to check with the local vet on getting him gelded. I'm assuming they will just band him?

imq707s":1p361sa9 said:
Thanks for all of the information on the Donkey. I checked the label on the lick tub that I have for the cows, it's an "all natural" 20% protein lick tub designs for Cattle, Horses, and other Equines. I don't see him over at the tub much, just every now and then. The only reason I have it out for the cows is because the people we bought them from suggested it, but they raise their highlands for beef…we have them for pets as the most part, may try to breed them in a few years.

I will try to find a local Ferrier who knows donkeys, it would be nice to at least have someone check out his hooves and maybe a little trim if needed.

I'll have to check with the local vet on getting him gelded. I'm assuming they will just band him?
you've got good advise from chippie. The vet will cut him from my experience. find him a another friend or he will bond with the cows.

Latest posts