Pinkeye after being worked

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":1rwvwxqq said:
elkwc":1rwvwxqq said:
I used Ultra Boss and both Saber and Ultra Saber in rotation last year on my vets advice and it worked good. This year I have used Fly Ban and Ultra Boss and a little Ultra Saber I had left over. I'm trying to decide this weekend what I will use next weekend. Ultra Boss and Fly Ban have the same active ingrediant and I can't tell there is any difference in effectiveness. I may go with Saber or Ultra Saber but looking at a couple of other options. I like something I can spray in a fine mist. I can't back pour all of mine. My vets have stressed rotating sprays with different ingrediants.

Elkwc, Have you examined the difference between UltraBoss and UltraSabre? If not, this might help:

Ultra boss is a broader spectrum insecticide than Ultra sabre. Ultra sabre is lambdacyhalothrin and piperonyl butoxide for control of horn flies and lice. Whereas Ultra Boss is permethrin synergized with piperonyl butoxide. Ultra Boss controls a broad spectrum of ectoparasites - lice, horn flies and face flies, and to aid in the control of horse flies, stable flies, mosquitoes, black flies and ticks.

Lambdacyhalothrin has a record of being very effective which is a strong favor for sabre but I like the boss for control of a broader range of ectoparasites and pests.
Yes I have looked at most of the fly controls. Have you compared Ultra Boss to Fly Ban? Very similar but 20 dollars a gallon cheaper. The reason I use Saber or another product is to avoid building up a resistance to one product.

Vaccinated for it several years ago. Had case after case for several months. Stopped vaccinating. Started using aureomycin in the minerals. Stopped having pinkeye. Go figure.

JMJ Farms":gxh5h33d said:
Vaccinated for it several years ago. Had case after case for several months. Stopped vaccinating. Started using aureomycin in the minerals. Stopped having pinkeye. Go figure.
Don't over think it, KISS is my philosophy for a simple mind. I can't ever remember having an animal with pink eye.

JMJ Farms":3ramrb8s said:

Are you mixing it into minerals yourself, or have you had success with the levels (2800 or 5600) in factory minerals, in my case Purina WnRain?

I have mixed in myself, and while its not too unhandy, I'm thinking of going to a premixed if the levels are effective.

As with the foot rod discussion, it is illegal to mix Aueromycin into mineral yourself, or to use the product to treat/prevent pinkeye. People really need to break this habit.

Dempster":y96zor0u said:
As with the foot rod discussion, it is illegal to mix Aueromycin into mineral yourself, or to use the product to treat/prevent pinkeye. People really need to break this habit.
I can agree with the prevent but not treat deal. Just cause it's the law doesn't it right. You do what needs doing to ensure that you don't have a major breakout.

talltimber":3nzr8q35 said:
JMJ Farms":3nzr8q35 said:

Are you mixing it into minerals yourself, or have you had success with the levels (2800 or 5600) in factory minerals, in my case Purina WnRain?

I have mixed in myself, and while its not too unhandy, I'm thinking of going to a premixed if the levels are effective.

Both. Store bought is good enough. But since you can't get medicated minerals without a script....Like Grit said. Do what you gotta do. Better look out for number 1 bc I promise you no one else will!

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but since I have been putting these up and keeping soaked with diesel/Permethrin 10% mix, pink eye hasn't been as bad as I give the calves an Alpha 7/MB1 shot. I noticed a fairly new calf a few days ago with a white spot in its eye and I gave it a shot of Draxxon and so far it hasn't gotten real bad.

IMG_1263_2.JPG

Dempster":1v5z9au5 said:

You seem to be very insistent on people being aware of the legality of adding ctc in any manner. I am curious as to your motivation. Are you a vet, a vet student, government employee in this field, or maybe a feed rep/etc?

Here is what I have "heard".

From an MFA employee, I can't add ctc without falling under the "manufacturers" guidelines, not that it's illegal, I am just adding to my liability.

From a feed mill, Get a vfd and come pick it up.

From a veterinarian, I can't do it without a vfd. With a vfd, I can go get what I need and mix it myself.

From Joeblow at the coffeeshop, I can't add anyting to anything without a script, basically. No igr, no iodine, nothing.

If you could offer a source for verification, it would be appreciated.

I am someone that is concerned about loosing my opportunity to use CTC when and where you still legally can. We can all put our heads in the sand and do what we want, but all that's going to do is make the Feds take it away all together.

The basics of CTC vfd's- vets can only write them for labeled diseases, which is mostly going to be either respiratory disease or anaplasmosis. Most of the labeled doses are required to be fed daily to ensure proper daily intakes. However, there are circumstances you can feed it in mineral, if your mineral has an approved recipe, which ensures proper intake. Most minerals do not fall under this category.

It is a lot of undesirable legal constraint, but if we don't take it seriously, ctc will be taken off the market all together.

My hubby always recommended increasing Iodine in the mineral for pink-eye and footrot.
I have NEVER treated with a PE vaccines. Worthless in my mind. Too many different strains. I give enough preventative meds - don't need to do one I don't have any faith in. Although, I do agree if you are able to get one designed for your area.

talltimber":1vj2fgdl said:
Dempster":1vj2fgdl said:

You seem to be very insistent on people being aware of the legality of adding ctc in any manner. I am curious as to your motivation. Are you a vet, a vet student, government employee in this field, or maybe a feed rep/etc?

Here is what I have "heard".

From an MFA employee, I can't add ctc without falling under the "manufacturers" guidelines, not that it's illegal, I am just adding to my liability.

From a feed mill, Get a vfd and come pick it up.

From a veterinarian, I can't do it without a vfd. With a vfd, I can go get what I need and mix it myself.

From Joeblow at the coffeeshop, I can't add anyting to anything without a script, basically. No igr, no iodine, nothing.

If you could offer a source for verification, it would be appreciated.

Same questions I had thought about asking. Again someone that feels they know more about it than my vets and the mineral supplier. Mine offers mineral with it in it. I'm for sure they wouldn't if there was increased liability involved. And adding iodine to salt I see no issue with myself. After reading these posts I might try it in 2 pastures. Those are the ones we have seen all of our cases of foot rot over the last 4 years.

I just went and read the guidlines in 3 different articles. No where does any of them say anything iodine being covered by this rule. In fact it lists what is covered and some of what isn't in one of them. Just from those 3 articles it seems a few are reading more into the rule than what is actually in it.

Dempster":24yzrbv8 said:
I am someone that is concerned about loosing my opportunity to use CTC when and where you still legally can. We can all put our heads in the sand and do what we want, but all that's going to do is make the Feds take it away all together.

The basics of CTC vfd's- vets can only write them for labeled diseases, which is mostly going to be either respiratory disease or anaplasmosis. Most of the labeled doses are required to be fed daily to ensure proper daily intakes. However, there are circumstances you can feed it in mineral, if your mineral has an approved recipe, which ensures proper intake. Most minerals do not fall under this category.

It is a lot of undesirable legal constraint, but if we don't take it seriously, ctc will be taken off the market all together.
Best way to administer CTC is with a syringe and needle and treat individual animals. Mixing in feed has never been the most efficient way to getting it into the animal that needed it and force feeding to the entire herd is a waste of money and eventually reduces the efficacy of the CTC.

I have the largest portion of my cattle at one farm. All mature cows with a bunch of spring calves on their sides. No pinkeye at all. Cows have plenty of good grass.

I have about 11 heifers and two mature cows in a group on a different farm with a CE bull. Pasture is not so good and I have been feeding hay and supplementing with grain. All are in great condition but pretty much every single one has gotten pinkeye. Ive spent a small fortune on Darxxin and LA300 to date.

Note neither group was vaccinated for Pinkeye. Quit vaccinating for Pinkeye years ago and haven't had an issue till this small group broke out with it.

sstterry":2p39aune said:
Who is your Vet? We are close and maybe I could make some recommendations. Large Animal Vets are getting more and more scarce!

I've used Mason a couple times since 2015. He's been straight up with me i feel like, even if i didn't want to hear it. I try to not involve a vet unless i just have to. Have a few neighbors who've been at this a long time that i get advice from.

I'm all ears on a recommendation though.

Stocker Steve":kyf6buf4 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":kyf6buf4 said:
there is some stem in the fields we are grazing (it was brush hogged, but some regrowth sent up seeds). No rain for 30 plus days (we are in d-2, severe drought category according to the US Drought Monitor), we are VERY dry

Lots of factors, but stess is a really big one.
So heifers are more likly to break than cows, poor pasture is more likly to experience a break than good grass.
We see it here most often with the pasture hos who set stock some young cattle on rough rented ground till it is eaten down to the roots.

Latest posts