Possible botched banding

Help Support CattleToday:

Sure wouldn't want to go cuting around above a band looking for infection, remember the gut pile is sitting right above the nuts and you could poke something you definately would not want to.

I band the youngest and cut the older ones...........either way, it's rarely an issue. :cboy:

Brad D":3ojwxp5w said:
We get alot of belly nuts in our feedlot...well alot for us. About 25-35 a year wich is only 1% out of total head. We always checked the ID tags that the calves at birth and the belly nuts are usually from 7-8 different ranchers so it is NOT an accident when they are missed. I guess maybe a little bit better weaning weights!

Those people are ruining it for everyone else, either by trying to be sneaky, or not knowing how to count. :mad:

Brad D":sckotz5o said:
2/B or not 2/B":sckotz5o said:
We band bull calves within 24 - 48 hours of birth also. Always count to two and then count again to be sure. Don't understand how this can be a problem for some people... If only one is dropped, you can reach up, find the second and work it down. So far, we haven't had any problems and are satisfied with the ease of it.

We get alot of belly nuts in our feedlot...well alot for us. About 25-35 a year wich is only 1% out of total head. We always checked the ID tags that the calves at birth and the belly nuts are usually from 7-8 different ranchers so it is NOT an accident when they are missed. I guess maybe a little bit better weaning weights!
I bought a entire potload of 4 weights out of Belle Fourche that were done exactly that way except they still had both nuts pushed up in the belly then banded. Ranchers and banders are a scary combo in my mind. I understand that banding makes steering alot easier for the rancher bad part is screwing the next guy is that much easier also. That little episode and also not being able to check the fat amount in the sac stops me from ever buying banded cattle anymore.

somn":11293gv2 said:
Brad D":11293gv2 said:
2/B or not 2/B":11293gv2 said:
We band bull calves within 24 - 48 hours of birth also. Always count to two and then count again to be sure. Don't understand how this can be a problem for some people... If only one is dropped, you can reach up, find the second and work it down. So far, we haven't had any problems and are satisfied with the ease of it.

I bought a entire potload of 4 weights out of Belle Fourche that were done exactly that way except they still had both nuts pushed up in the belly then banded. Ranchers and banders are a scary combo in my mind. I understand that banding makes steering alot easier for the rancher bad part is screwing the next guy is that much easier also. That little episode and also not being able to check the fat amount in the sac stops me from ever buying banded cattle anymore.
If the guy that does that wants to steal why don't he just rob a bank. Nothing I hate worse than a small time crook. I've had a bunch with one nut , but never two. My guys get a long face when they hear I've bought some steers. They don't like to tail em while I go fishin for the lost nut.

Larry

Well, we gave them all a course of LA200. During the last dose, and after reading several replies, we checked temperatures and did a close up inspection.

Don't know if it was from the LA200, or if we were just alarmed, but none of them seemed to be swollen above the band, none of them had a temp., and none of their "parts" felt hot to the touch.

We didn't do any poking to see if there was anything above the band.

We did turn them back out with the others, and in a couple weeks, we'll pull them back in and check them again when we have to bring some in for their booster shots.

Thank y'all so much for your posts - these boards really are very informative and more life-like unlike some articles and textbooks. THANKS AGAIN!

Pauline

Latest posts