Post a random picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Didn't shoot it, yes this one was in a protected area. But I took many many photos of wildlife that could have been hunted. I took 99 percent of those photos while fishing alone and only had a fly rod.
I was just curious, around here those are shot on sight, a single buffalo can do more damage and cause more problems in one day than you can fix in a week. The wild ones haven't quite reached us yet, but escaped "domesticated" ones show up time to time.

I was just curious, around here those are shot on sight, a single buffalo can do more damage and cause more problems in one day than you can fix in a week. The wild ones haven't quite reached us yet, but escaped "domesticated" ones show up time to time.
What kind of damage does a buffalo do?

What kind of damage does a buffalo do?
For starters they walk through barbed wire fences without slowing down, snapping wires and posts without hardly noticing.
If you ever spent a few days repairing that and separating the breeding heifers and bulls from the cow herd / cow bulls you'll get a real appreciation for them. And just when the memory of that starts to fade you get to calve the heifers that got mixed with the cow bulls. Not to mention the mixing of your cattle with neighbouring herds.
They are not cattle and can not be handled as such. You don't go gather up a few buffalo and take them home.

For starters they walk through barbed wire fences without slowing down, snapping wires and posts without hardly noticing.

I've heard that before... but in the States it's common for herds of bison to be contained behind barb wire and wooden posts. Everything from state owned herds on display in parks to privately owned herds. Of course any animal likely to be outside of where they are owned is also likely to be a fence breaker.

If you ever spent a few days repairing that and separating the breeding heifers and bulls from the cow herd / cow bulls you'll get a real appreciation for them. And just when the memory of that starts to fade you get to calve the heifers that got mixed with the cow bulls. Not to mention the mixing of your cattle with neighbouring herds.
They are not cattle and can not be handled as such. You don't go gather up a few buffalo and take them home.

Yeah, I can see that would be frustrating. So would you dress it out and put it in your freezer? Or just let the coyotes dine on it? Do you know where a lone buffalo comes from, and notify the owners?

I've heard that before... but in the States it's common for herds of bison to be contained behind barb wire and wooden posts. Everything from state owned herds on display in parks to privately owned herds. Of course any animal likely to be outside of where they are owned is also likely to be a fence breaker.

Yeah, I can see that would be frustrating. So would you dress it out and put it in your freezer? Or just let the coyotes dine on it? Do you know where a lone buffalo comes from, and notify the owners?
Some guys by my old place had buffs. They would run through a fence into the neighbors and he would get on his motorcycle and get them on the run and they would run through a different spot to go back home. Lots of fence fixing. All the neighbors were happy when they sold out the buffs. Semi-high fence with a couple electric strands is best, but they get in a stampede and just go where they're gonna go.

We have ate some. Hard to say who the owner is a lot of times, they aren't branded and only sometimes tagged. It's not like they can be rounded back up. Best to SSS. Bordering my place is 100's of thousands of acres of gov't land and I'm afraid they will get running feral in there, right where my cows graze. That happened north of me 80 miles and before you knew it the natives claimed them so you can imagine the ramifications of that.
I'm eating one right now that I kinda wish the coyotes had got.

I've tried growing tulips here with no luck. I could plant them and they'll go thru their blooming stage ok but they don't reproduce bulbs underground like they're supposed to and didn't come back the next year either. Someone told me it just doesn't get cold enough here for long enough period of time to make 'em propagate more bulbs. A shame too because the deer don't seem to like them.

I've tried growing tulips here with no luck. I could plant them and they'll go thru their blooming stage ok but they don't reproduce bulbs underground like they're supposed to and didn't come back the next year either. Someone told me it just doesn't get cold enough here for long enough period of time to make 'em propagate more bulbs. A shame too because the deer don't seem to like them.
Do you get snow? I plant mine under the eaves and the snow slides off and covers them. Don't know if that would help but mine generate bulbs more than I want.

Latest posts