Ranch ropes

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Ropes are all pretty much junk. Hondas turn in a matter days, it makes little difference what brand. I've been tying a metal Honda on ropes, after we've gotten the practice/competition use out of them. We then use them on the farm. Has any one ever bought a roll of 3 strand 3/8 rope and made your own ranch ropes? Nothing suitable is available locally. I'd have order it on line. Kinda nervous about ordering a roll unless I've held it in my hand. I actually prefer a softer rope than most people, but I don't want a dish rag. Know a company that sells what I'm looking for?

Brighton feed and saddlery used to sell you however much you wanted but I just heard they went out of business. I think king will sell you a spool I use King Ropes ranch and calf ropes and really like them. I have some Dub Grant ropes that i like pretty good as well.Have you tried either of those? I too prefer a softer rope than most.

j_20":c3i1x6q7 said:
Brighton feed and saddlery used to sell you however much you wanted but I just heard they went out of business. I think king will sell you a spool I use King Ropes ranch and calf ropes and really like them. I have some Dub Grant ropes that i like pretty good as well.Have you tried either of those? I too prefer a softer rope than most.

I used to use Dub Grant ropes all the time. Got away from them over the years. Have owned a few Kings, but don't remember much about them. Liking a Willard calf rope more and more (prefer Viper, but none available).

Just got an email from a company I reached out to. They have 3 strand poly 8.0-10.0 for $1.19 a foot. That basically the same price as a finished rope. Crazy

At that price its worth a shot get some and tie on metal hondas and tie some with a regular honda i know a guy that just rosebuds heavy duty round rings on the end of his i just worry about getting a crazy cow or bull on the end and having my rosebud pull out

j_20":100qi1eu said:
At that price its worth a shot get some and tie on metal hondas and tie some with a regular honda i know a guy that just rosebuds heavy duty round rings on the end of his i just worry about getting a crazy cow or bull on the end and having my rosebud pull out

About a month or 6 weeks ago, I lost a metal Honda. Just had a hatchet knot on the end of the rope, and melted that with a piece of metal I had spot welded on. When the knot failed, the Honda flew over some trees and out of sight. It was whistling as it flew through the air. Couldn't help but think that thing would have left a mark if it had hit somebody.

yes id say that might have hurt a bit. when tying on a honda i run it through and rosebud it, i feel that when the honda go under strain it will only tighten the knot but when the rosebud is tied around something and that goes under strain pulling on the inside of the knot thats when i get a little nervous. when i just tie a honda knot in the end and tie on a burner i just use an overhand knot as the stopper and fuse it on the end. i wont ever have a rope with a knot in the tail end, I once got in a little bit of a wreck roping on a young horse and the knot in the tail made things a lot worse ever since then if i get a rope that has one it gets cut off before I use it.

Seems like I saw bulk rope on a reel but I can't for the life of me remember where.
It doesn't help much but I like a poly nylon blend 4 strand. The blends seem a little tougher. Not as stiff as nylon but tougher than poly.
I can't get used to the little 3/8 scant ropes.
I like a little more tip weight.
But I haven't roped anything in a long time.
If I come across it I'll let you know.

callmefence":3a2i9x4g said:
Local western store sells used ropes the rodeo guys have traded in I guess.
Usually 5 to 10 bucks and still plenty good for me.

Yeah, I don't won't to mislead ya. I'm not throwing ropes on the ground that have been used a few afternoons. When they lose their body and and start to lay funny we retire them, and use them on the farm. A calf rope for instance is about 28' long out of the box. Not a whole lot of room there roping calves in pasture to tag, vaccinate, band. Loading one in a trailer, it's really short. Even a heel rope is only 35'. A good usin rope is about 45' or even longer. All ropes are expensive, and ranch ropes are especially expensive. Then you get in to the 3 strand verses 4. I personally like a 3. Same diameter, but I think the 4 strands bounce. I hoped somebody on here knew a place to get a spool of 3 strand. Then I could cut to length, and attach a metal Honda. Or tie my own. The rope companies are wise in their ways though. It's as much by the foot, as it would be in a finished rope.

Cross-7":3nrjdc03 said:
Seems like I saw bulk rope on a reel but I can't for the life of me remember where.
It doesn't help much but I like a poly nylon blend 4 strand. The blends seem a little tougher. Not as stiff as nylon but tougher than poly.
I can't get used to the little 3/8 scant ropes.
I like a little more tip weight.
But I haven't roped anything in a long time.
If I come across it I'll let you know.

I would appreciate that. Something like that wouldn't even exist here.

4 of us rope, almost daily. The rope bill is outrageous.

I checked last night, my last King ranch rope was $63 for a 45 ft 4 strand so $1.40 a ft that said I guess the 1.19 a ft price you were given doesnt sound great but its a little better if you can find a rope you like. I'd still be interested in going that route though. Have you checked Cowboy Cordage?

j_20":3jqwb6wb said:
I checked last night, my last King ranch rope was $63 for a 45 ft 4 strand so $1.40 a ft that said I guess the 1.19 a ft price you were given doesnt sound great but its a little better if you can find a rope you like. I'd still be interested in going that route though. Have you checked Cowboy Cordage?

Browsed the web page a little.

Allie Bear and Capriola's in Elko sell decent stuff by the roll, nylon, poly and cotton.
We may like a similar ranch rope, I like something like a MS, the XXXsoft that some of these companies insist on making all their ropes 40' and longer is silly. Other than roping horses for the next day or something like that, I don't see a lot of use for ropes XXXsoft.
For ranching, I was getting cases of Classic PowerLine Lite Medium Soft heel ropes that they'd do in 37' by the case. Great rope to brand with (we head and heel everything).
Doctoring outside, I like a Poly. 45' is plenty. Capriola's has been making some really great poly's for me for quite a few years. I rope on elk hide when working. It's a touch slower and grippier than mule hide but doesn't bite down anything like rubber so you run your dallys and ease a big yearling to a stop etc. It also helps ropes hold up quite a bit longer than rubber.

js1234":tto9alqm said:
Allie Bear and Capriola's in Elko sell decent stuff by the roll, nylon, poly and cotton.
We may like a similar ranch rope, I like something like a MS, the XXXsoft that some of these companies insist on making all their ropes 40' and longer is silly. Other than roping horses for the next day or something like that, I don't see a lot of use for ropes XXXsoft.
For ranching, I was getting cases of Classic PowerLine Lite Medium Soft heel ropes that they'd do in 37' by the case. Great rope to brand with (we head and heel everything).
Doctoring outside, I like a Poly. 45' is plenty. Capriola's has been making some really great poly's for me for quite a few years. I rope on elk hide when working. It's a touch slower and grippier than mule hide but doesn't bite down anything like rubber so you run your dallys and ease a big yearling to a stop etc. It also helps ropes hold up quite a bit longer than rubber.

Thanks. I will check them out. I have left a message at cowboy cordage, but they haven't called me back.

Cowboy cordage called me back. They will sell 120' of 3 strand, but it's about the same price per foot as there ranch ropes. Looks like ya might as well buy ranch ropes. No cheaper to tie your own.

i tried looking at new england ropes but looks like they sold out and I cant find any pricing info for the new companies equine line of ropes. They have some rope I would like to try but cant figure out how to order.

Bigfoot":3chz9cwe said:
Found this video, while digging around on line. Quit long, but very interestin. Being from the east, I had no idea this much work in to one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0hQ29xYzoyk
Watched it start to finish. If I lived to be 150 I don't think I'd ever be able to learn that, much less master it. He's done that a time or 3 for sure.

I know I'm a little late, but if you guys are looking for a spool of rope that is a decent rope, look up the columbia basin knot company. They've got 600 ft spools of 100% nylon with or without red tracers, nylon poly blend, and even a braided spool for those who like those things. They're pricey but it's 600 feet so you'll really never have to buy a rope again. also, knot and rope supply sells the new england rope by the foot for a decent price, I think it was $47 for 62 feet (little wiggle room to tie my knots) so if the spool is too much that would be a good route. I use em to rope everything from rodeo bulls to calves to mother cows, so they're good using ropes. Haven't tried the blend, since I can only find the spool but wouldn't mind trying it.

http://cbknot.com/lariat-rope
http://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/vie ... ategory=61

Latest posts