Ranchman, sky, Tb

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
What do you give sheep to help control the flies? Is there a mineral with fly control? My feed supply don't have anything. He tried to sell me something and I kept questioning him until he called the supplier and was told it wasn't safe for sheep.

Craig Miller":5cv9r26s said:
What do you give sheep to help control the flies? Is there a mineral with fly control? My feed supply don't have anything. He tried to sell me something and I kept questioning him until he called the supplier and was told it wasn't safe for sheep.
I haven't really had a problem with them before. Hair sheep or wool? A permethrin base product should be fine or catron for spot spraying horn flies etc.

Wool. Show sheep. The problem is not so much on the sheep but around the area they stay which is very close to the house. I need to break the cycle somehow. I have a permethrin but it only kills the live ones.

RanchMan90":1il4dmlc said:
Looking good. Fly traps of the sticky variety are pretty effective around barns and outbuildings.

I have a fly trap. I saw some giant stickys at the feed store made for horse stables I think. I may give those a try

RanchMan90":22y1614r said:
Craig Miller":22y1614r said:
I haven't really had a problem with them before. Hair sheep or wool? A permethrin base product should be fine or catron for spot spraying horn flies etc.

Craig,
I also have not had many issues on my hair sheep but I do spray them with permethrin same as I have with my cattle. However, I don't know for sure but I don't think they have a fly control mineral if I remember correctly when buying my fly control mineral there was a warning keep away from sheep don't hold me to it but I think there was a sign.

Craig Miller":22y1614r said:
Wool. Show sheep. The problem is not so much on the sheep but around the area they stay which is very close to the house. I need to break the cycle somehow. I have a permethrin but it only kills the live ones.

Craig,
This year flys have been HORRIBLE for me here and I raise bottle babies in a building and use permethrin along with some talstar and it keeps them under control for a few days. However what I found best to control flies is if you go to your ag store theres a like 30' roll of fly tape with fly pictures on it it catches hundreds a day and mosquitoes then theres things you put on milk jugs and then put the fly bait and water inside I filled up a couple of those in a week really put a whack on the flies and got them under control but didn't elimate them.

I know that there have been several on here that have POOH POOHED the whole thing with DE but I have found that it has cut the fly populations by more than half this year and they have been terrible. I just mix a cupful in with any type of loose mineral 40 or 50 lb bag. I use a glove to mix it as it will cause some dryness on the skin and I hate the loose mineral on my skin too. We have it mixed in to our feed rations that we buy by the ton. It has also cut the worm populations and YES that is from checking fecal samples. We have both cattle and sheep, hair sheep, White Texas Dall sheep. We do some worming on the sheep, but not every one every time. And any that are chronic problems GO..... same with the cattle. We do little/ no regular worming on the adult cows. That said, I have found that the fly populations have been especially bad with the mild winter we had last year; but I will still swear by the DE. Also works in the dusting back rubs for cattle but don't know about the sheep.
Have used the gallon jug fly traps and the sticky tapes in the barn too and they do work. Anything to cut the numbers...

This is a little out of the box but you could spray the areas where there is a lot of dung with Diflumax. About an ounce to the acre and it costs about $1/ounce. Do this every two weeks and it will make it where the larva cannot grow. For adult flies try some Golden Marlin. You can scatter this on the ground but with livestock and pets you might be better off building some feeders or racks to pour it in. Its an attractant but is brutal on flies and you'll surely get a smile watching the flies drop dead. I think you will find this combination not only cheap but very effective.

kd4au":zlq2j6he said:
Craig Miller":zlq2j6he said:
Pretty place . I nothing about sheep though. Ever show any cattle? I have a good friend and his daughter shows, they do very well.

Well we don't either. These are the first we've ever been around. We don't show calves. We have shown chickens, hogs, and now lambs. If it cost anymore to show calves then I don't see how a person does it.

Craig Miller":3q56hvkb said:
kd4au":3q56hvkb said:
Craig Miller":3q56hvkb said:
Pretty place . I nothing about sheep though. Ever show any cattle? I have a good friend and his daughter shows, they do very well.

Well we don't either. These are the first we've ever been around. We don't show calves. We have shown chickens, hogs, and now lambs. If it cost anymore to show calves then I don't see how a person does it.
I think it's like a lot of things you can spend as much as you want to on it, my friend spends more on it than I could afford that's for sure.

kd4au":16801w9u said:
Craig Miller":16801w9u said:
kd4au":16801w9u said:

I think it's like a lot of things you can spend as much as you want to on it, my friend spends more on it than I could afford that's for sure.

Showing of any kind is not big around here. The 4h is just now starting to do some showing. With the lambs our county partnered with 4 or 5 other counties and there are about 10 participants. The hogs we partnered with three counties and had 20 bu one of the coy ties split off to do their own show and left us with 8 I think for the whole show. The chicken show has plenty of I retest but we still partner with 3 counties and have a big show. There is one county south of us that does calf showing but they show dairy breeds. Not a lot of them around to pick from.

Latest posts