Reality of selling Longhorns at the AB

Help Support CattleToday:

Dunno who this Josh Teilke is, but he doesn't know much about cattle. It is true that Longhorns are novelty cattle, but his statement that "they aren't worth much unless they are the size to be rodeo cattle"? ROFLMAO. Number 1... dunno any rodeo contractor that uses Longhorn cattle, or what event they could use them in even if they wanted to. I wouldn't put much stock in anything he said...not knowing LHs from Corriente. Number 2....As novelties, they sell very high. I have a client that raises registered LHs for people's yard ornaments, and they bring in the high 4 figures, regardless of what beef prices are. But, he doesn't sell them at little cattle sale barns either. Heck, when they get old and die, or die from other causes, he sells the head and cape mounts to Longhorns corporate for more than most people get for a finished 1000# CAB steer.

Sure you might find a sucker that will pay more but the going rate around here right now is .40 to .60 a pound.
200 lb'ers sell to the roping crowd Warren and will bring a little more.

When they have nothing to eat, they starve just like the rest.

Dunno who this Josh Teilke is, but he doesn't know much about cattle. It is true that Longhorns are novelty cattle, but his statement that "they aren't worth much unless they are the size to be rodeo cattle"? ROFLMAO. Number 1... dunno any rodeo contractor that uses Longhorn cattle, or what event they could use them in even if they wanted to. I wouldn't put much stock in anything he said...not knowing LHs from Corriente. Number 2....As novelties, they sell very high. I have a client that raises registered LHs for people's yard ornaments, and they bring in the high 4 figures, regardless of what beef prices are. But, he doesn't sell them at little cattle sale barns either. Heck, when they get old and die, or die from other causes, he sells the head and cape mounts to Longhorns corporate for more than most people get for a finished 1000# CAB steer.
He is the owner so he is speaking to what buyers at his auction barn will pay for not to niche markets. Are you saying you understand what buyers at his barn want more than he does?

Its not my game but I know several guys here that cross LH and corriente cattle for steers and calves to rope. A good friend of mine is one of them.

The people who call the sale barn and complain about longhorn calf prices aren't the ones who buy $300 longhorn cows from the sale barn. They're people who buy from craigslist or a cattle trader without realizing the cattle aren't worth "high 4 figures" until they bring the calves to auction.

I'm not trying to talk any one out of buying LH or saying they don't have a purpose.

With the dry weather a lot of people are having to part with their cattle. Just don't be a mad at the AB and try to run them in the dirt. If you think you cattle are worth more and so marketable... go market them yourself.

We just sold 6 for around $1300 and I was tickled to death. I thought it would be worse.

Honestly, it probably applies to a lot of cattle, not just LH. Noticed he mentioned cattle that are more than 1/2 Brahman, also.

I'm not trying to talk any one out of buying LH or saying they don't have a purpose.

With the dry weather a lot of people are having to part with their cattle. Just don't be a mad at the AB and try to run them in the dirt. If you think you cattle are worth more and so marketable... go market them yourself.

We just sold 6 for around $1300 and I was tickled to death. I thought it would be worse.

Honestly, it probably applies to a lot of cattle, not just LH. Noticed he mentioned cattle that are more than 1/2 Brahman, also.
If your setup is right, your inputs vs outputs are right, your market accommodates or you can make your own market, etc, then any cattle can work for somebody's needs. The problem with LH/corriente is people who buy them, keep them pure, and sell them in the wrong market for what they have and then complain and blame the market or the breed. Cross them with something, sell them at six months or sell freezer beeves, keep back replacements based on efficiency and mothering and wham bam, you're cooking with gas. And another thing, blaming the barn is hogwash. The barn is just a place, you have to be selling something people who go can want to buy. You show up to a sale barn with the wrong stock and you'd better be flipping based on weight or just be ready for some dude in the back to say "screw it, I've got $300 burning a hole in my pocket"

You can't give a LH away around here.
You will get more than your feelings hurt at the barn.
If LH were quality cattle every pasture would be full of them and the buyers demanding more. There not that's the reason they went the way of the Buffalo 🦬.

Easy, fella.
A free country, they say, about the USA. Or used to be. Maybe you saw Bigfoot, maybe you didn't. Maybe the fish that got away was Moby Dick. Maybe not. Maybe there is value in your breed or cross of anything from cattle to cats. Maybe not. Maybe you can breed or already breed the best based on whatever you value: herd sources, rarity, numbers, looks, money invested, hopes for a market win, your opinion or ego... Maybe not. You have full rights, by me, to tell your story and opinions. I have full right to decide if I want to believe it or even listen or read it.

This is where the new USA runs off of the rails. To enforce PC and required inclusiveness there has to be factions to include. Factions, identified and created by the elite, have to exist. The elite are someone or a group of individuals who has an agenda and hunger for the ultimate power to tell the majority what is true or right for the next 24 hours. In the olden times that person or group was called a dictator. Today they are the politicians, judges and news writers and commentators who tell you their latest version of commandments, regardless of number 10 or not. But #1 is always, "I am #1 and it is my opinion that counts"!

Quite a distracted world we live in. Majoring on minors. A rant or love of LH cattle are a small or non-existent issue for me. Like a lot of stuff. Luv 'em or leave 'em. Keep on rollin' with the flow!

A free country, they say, about the USA. Or used to be. Maybe you saw Bigfoot, maybe you didn't. Maybe the fish that got away was Moby Dick. Maybe not. Maybe there is value in your breed or cross of anything from cattle to cats. Maybe not. Maybe you can breed or already breed the best based on whatever you value: herd sources, rarity, numbers, looks, money invested, hopes for a market win, your opinion or ego... Maybe not. You have full rights, by me, to tell your story and opinions. I have full right to decide if I want to believe it or even listen or read it.

This is where the new USA runs off of the rails. To enforce PC and required inclusiveness there has to be factions to include. Factions, identified and created by the elite, have to exist. The elite are someone or a group of individuals who has an agenda and hunger for the ultimate power to tell the majority what is true or right for the next 24 hours. In the olden times that person or group was called a dictator. Today they are the politicians, judges and news writers and commentators who tell you their latest version of commandments, regardless of number 10 or not. But #1 is always, "I am #1 and it is my opinion that counts"!

Quite a distracted world we live in. Majoring on minors. A rant or love of LH cattle are a small or non-existent issue for me. Like a lot of stuff. Luv 'em or leave 'em. Keep on rollin' with the flow!
I'm not a keeper of LH. Wouldn't be opposed, not a bad thing to do if you've got a timber property or something. Seen it work out fine for too many people, several of whom are on here.

As far as your rant goes, nobody tried to infringe on your rights. People have every right to call you out on being a jackwagon, just like you have a right to be one. Long way around the barn on your end.

Last fall I was at the sale. They start with a different owners calves. They announce the owners name and home town. I know him. I know he has a box of crayon 80/90 head cow herd which includes some LH and Corrients. Sitting directly behind me is the head buyer for an outfit that has 5 or 6 feedlots, probably 150,000 head on feed. There is another buyer sitting beside him. This head buyer has no problem topping the market. In comes a pen of steers. The guys behind me don't bid. After the calves sell I hear them laughing to each other and discussing the guy who did buy them. The one comment that stuck in my head was, "he didn't see that there was 6 LH crosses in that bunch." These are guys who buy thousands of calves every year and pay the top of the market. They sure pick out the LH crosses and they don't want them.

Last fall I was at the sale. They start with a different owners calves. They announce the owners name and home town. I know him. I know he has a box of crayon 80/90 head cow herd which includes some LH and Corrients. Sitting directly behind me is the head buyer for an outfit that has 5 or 6 feedlots, probably 150,000 head on feed. There is another buyer sitting beside him. This head buyer has no problem topping the market. In comes a pen of steers. The guys behind me don't bid. After the calves sell I hear them laughing to each other and discussing the guy who did buy them. The one comment that stuck in my head was, "he didn't see that there was 6 LH crosses in that bunch." These are guys who buy thousands of calves every year and pay the top of the market. They sure pick out the LH crosses and they don't want them.
Things do tend to work a bit different up your way. Same with the whole greater upper west and Midwest. With tens of thousands of larger operators hanging around, they never have to reach to make a potload.

Latest posts