Red Polls - what is their mature size and milking one

Help Support CattleToday:

bchome

Reaction score
We have found little inet info on them. I read somewhere they were small and dual purpose. Can someone offer a more accurate description of their size? Would they make a good family cow? Would they cross nicely with a Jersey bull to breed for a cow with more milk if the Red Poll didn't seem to produce for a family of 4? I'm use to milking a goat once a day and really think a Jersey would be more than I want to deal with. And, nearly every one I've seen their teats are so small! Do the Red Polls have easy hand milking sized teats? Does anyone have Red Poll (fresh) cows or cow/calf pair for sale? Is the tender meat gene the same one Jersey carries? TIA!

http://www.middlemarch.co.nz/garthmyl/red_polls.html

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/article ... d_poll.htm

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~puk/cow/milk.html

http://redpoll.une.edu.au/commercialperf.htm

these are red/white holsteins crossed with red poll: http://www.newfarm.org/features/0803/pasture_cow.shtml

go to page 9 of this pdf however its all interesting concerning marbling , jersey has the highest marbling and red poll compares with angus
http://www.cabpartners.com/news/researc ... rbling.pdf

red poll efficiency compared to other breeds (towards the top) http://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/papers/for ... iency.html

summer 2006 red poll magazine http://www.redpollusa.org/events_files/ ... rRPMag.pdf

CILOWEN FARMHOUSE CHEESE
Made by Sue Jones from their own herd of Red Poll cattle, this organic hard cheese is a multi-award winning cheese. A hard pressed cheese, in its distinctive truckle shape, is enhanced by its natural rind. A young, creamy, yet gently crumbly cheese, with an exciting fresh flavour, a subtle aroma and a stimulating taste. Available as both plain and with Leeks. Sold in 3.75 kg truckles or 250gm wedges.
Gold Award and the Best Organic Cheese Class, 2001 British Cheese Awards; Bronze Award, World Cheese Awards 2001; John Webb Trophy for the Best New Cheese marketed in the UK, 2001; Winner Gold Award, World Cheese Awards 2005.

perhaps some of those links will help you.

Red polls are much the same size as angus and herefords. I have some heifers and I am excitedly waiting for them to calve (sometime within the next 60 days --- they were all in 2nd stage on 10/04/06 when preg checked) but I have no intention of trying to milk one of them although they are gentle enough.

Thank you MoGal for your wonderful response. It's all very good info and will keep me busy tonight! I'm wondering if the dark red will remain dominant if crossed with a Jersey?

Aren't jerseys a dark brown or black? I think that will be more dominant.

According to some links MikeC has posted around here jerseys have the highest marbling and according to MARC red polls are one of 4 breeds recognized for tenderness so you should have excellent freezer beef. Plus any heifers you keep would definitely be heavy milkers that you could raise additional calves on or milk.

The red polls are a frame 5. My heifers weighed 750-800 lbs as yearlings. I think they stay in the gawky stage longer and maybe its because I was used to seeing charolais cross calves but they are beginning to bloom and I figure by the time they are 3 yr olds they will be nice looking cows.

MoGal":21glxmui said:
Aren't jerseys a dark brown or black? I think that will be more dominant.

They run all the way fomr a very light fawn(tan) to black and mixtures in between, some with white spotting

dun

bchome":3tvugv3y said:
We have found little inet info on them. I read somewhere they were small and dual purpose. Can someone offer a more accurate description of their size? Would they make a good family cow? Would they cross nicely with a Jersey bull to breed for a cow with more milk if the Red Poll didn't seem to produce for a family of 4? I'm use to milking a goat once a day and really think a Jersey would be more than I want to deal with. And, nearly every one I've seen their teats are so small! Do the Red Polls have easy hand milking sized teats? Does anyone have Red Poll (fresh) cows or cow/calf pair for sale? Is the tender meat gene the same one Jersey carries? TIA!

Red Polls today are mainly used for beef but if you wanted to milk one it would not be a problem. We sold two heifers a couple of years ago to a family that they were going to milk and make their own cheese.

Just like all breeds the size of the teats and udder can vary from cow to cow. We have a couple of cows that would furnish you plenty of milk. I will try to post a pic.

The docility of the breed still makes them a good choice for a family cow and you can eat the tender beef from the calves that they would produce. I guess that's why they were considered the dual purpose breed.

Jovid":1pv3l1lq said:
bchome":1pv3l1lq said:

Red Polls today are mainly used for beef but if you wanted to milk one it would not be a problem. We sold two heifers a couple of years ago to a family that they were going to milk and make their own cheese.

Just like all breeds the size of the teats and udder can vary from cow to cow. We have a couple of cows that would furnish you plenty of milk. I will try to post a pic.

The docility of the breed still makes them a good choice for a family cow and you can eat the tender beef from the calves that they would produce. I guess that's why they were considered the dual purpose breed.

Here is a pic of one of our cows
cow_calf.JPG

Nice looking cow Jovid, there is about 20 of them that look like that down the road from me, any chance yours came out of that herd?

aplusmnt":2p2l0fnj said:
Nice looking cow Jovid, there is about 20 of them that look like that down the road from me, any chance yours came out of that herd?

Not that one.....but I do have a heifer that I bought from the Scotts that had her first calf in October. We came to Columbus on Saturday to bring the bull back home he had been at the Scotts for the summer.

Jovid":1m774fyb said:
aplusmnt":1m774fyb said:

Not that one.....but I do have a heifer that I bought from the Scotts that had her first calf in October. We came to Columbus on Saturday to bring the bull back home he had been at the Scotts for the summer.

If he was down there at the end of my road in that field behind the old Butcher place. I remember him. I am always checking out them Red Polls when I turn off the highway to head down my road. They keep growing there herd quite a bit. Do they have some elsewhere or just by me?

You should have stoped by I live first house on left after railroad tracks.

OKrancher":324bxm59 said:
Are there any red poll breeders with numbers to support commerica cattlemen?

Depends on how you define supporting the commercial cattlemen. We have several breeders that sell over 40-50 heifers a year. A lot of the cattle are sold as registered.

If someone is looking for Red Polls we have a marketing consortium that lists the cattle for sale in the western states. I'm the one responsible for keeping track of cattle for sale. All anyone has to do is to contact me and I can let them know what is available.

aplusmnt":214vdnfo said:
Jovid":214vdnfo said:
aplusmnt":214vdnfo said:

If he was down there at the end of my road in that field behind the old Butcher place. I remember him. I am always checking out them Red Polls when I turn off the highway to head down my road. They keep growing there herd quite a bit. Do they have some elsewhere or just by me?

You should have stoped by I live first house on left after railroad tracks.

That's the bull.....They have cattle in several places around Columbus.

Latest posts