Replacement females???

Help Support CattleToday:

We retain heifers. I can not buy cattle for cheaper than I can raise an apples to apples comparison. Can I buy "a cow" ... maybe... but not an comparable equivalent.

Raising heifers is one one of the joys of the business, for me. I keep comments and notes and calf weights on every cow that comes through here so I have performance history, right off our land, in our environment, in our operation, to work with when selecting replacements. Doing this has really helped to cut back on all the nonsense because ultimately nonsense costs $$$. It is very satisfying to build a herd off perforce and see the market respond.

Maybe watch and talk to your neighbors that are keeping heifers and see if they will sell some out of their pile. Most people are going to keep a few extras than what they need. If some one needs 10 they may develope 12 or more. They may let you pick up a few extras for a couple hundred over what they would get at the AB.

My family and I both operate like that. We bring in what ever looks about the same quality to choose from. I have friends that will come pick out of the group or we may take what we want and out the rest on FB or some thing unless I'm busy then they just go to auction. 😄

I'm not agaisnt buying but it's from other friends I know how they operate. My cull % of bought cattle vs retained cattle is always higher on the bought cattle.
You make some terrific points and capture our feelings too…I 🥰seeing the genetic lineage develop and I love knowing who is who, seeing traits carry on through generations. Looking at a heifer and saying "man she is her great grandmother all over again" - and yes that is a good thing. Because we retain what we like and what works in our environment. We also run our own bulls. I love knowing that a Barbara heifer here is going to have a long spine, a good foot and be super friendly. A Mama bull will throw exactly four square teats, and will be a little cocky as a youngster cause he knows he's a keeper, good looking, deep bodied and wide topped. A Sweetheart will be a little more stout made. She is power in a smaller package that should not be underestimated. Those "No Tag" females are easy keepers just like the original version. They keep to themselves, not really front pasture notice right away girls, but they get the job done and fly under the radar cause they never give an ounce of trouble and come fall you are like…this is a damn good calf, whose is this…yep goes back to "No Tag". We were just saying the "G's" in our herd are all in their prime and what a consistent pen still to this day. Punching out well marked calves originating from a bull that should have stayed longer. And most of the dams in that lot were old cows, their last calf ironically and fortunate for us was a "G" heifer. That "G" year we struggled to feed everyone but so glad we scraped through to retain those lines cause like others have said sometimes those cows fail to give a replacement, lucky to get one...that was us with some damn good cows that retired after the G's. Replacements here are the fun or certainly bring much enjoyment.

We do both, for the most part our own stay longer and fit better. Regardless whether you buy or raise, you should have someone that knows the ropes to help you out.
I bid on lots of cattle that I don't end up buying.
There are some days when I specialize in coming in second and drive home with an empty trailer.

This!!! I love seeing multiple generations of a prolific lineage; daughters, granddaughters and great-granddaughters. With the matriarch still one of my best cows.
Yep, I have a picture with 4 generations in the same pic, and it was darned close to 5 since I'd put great great grandma down the previous fall.. and they're all from one cow, and I know the history of them for 35 years now
This was great great great great grandma in about 1992
Bred to quality bulls and with a uniform direction they did well for us
Josie 1sm.jpg

this calf is the youngest generation..
IMG_20220526_103508_577 Zecca Zima.jpg

A Mama bull will throw exactly four square teats, and will be a little cocky as a youngster cause he knows he's a keeper, good looking, deep bodied and wide topped.
That's exactly what the calf above is.. She was the biggest, the prettiest, and the strongest, and she darned well knew it too.. She's a bossy one who gets mad if she doesn't get her way!
She's going to be getting some halter training! (and there will be temper tantrums)

For some, raising cattle is a passion (maybe vanity) project.
For others, strictly economics.
Keeping heifers of your own will always be more expensive.

For some, raising cattle is a passion (maybe vanity) project.
For others, strictly economics.
That's not always true. In a lot of cases it can be true but not always... for every one.

I totally understand the addiction to raising your own line. I happened to see my cows today. Figured I'd snap a few pics. The cow closer to the camera is my favorite. The honed heifer is going on 2 yrs old and due to calve in April. I kept her little sister last year also but she turned out solid red. I'm sure there's room for improvement but I like them. If the daughters turn out as good as their mother they'll be here a LONG time.

BTW they were playing king of the mountain on my shooting berm in the background when I showed up. 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20240224_180156099_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240224_180156099_HDR.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20240224_180315626_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240224_180315626_HDR.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 33
it depends on the cull rate of your own vs the purchased ones, and it depends on the cost of feed too
If it was the case everyone must be an idiot to keep a calf after weaning, but there's people that make money doing just that

I try to buy from herd dispersal and try to buy groups. a single cow 3 or 4 years old is usually a red flag. I tend to not be as hard on heifers I raise and I want my cows to be a number I don't want any attachment. nothing worse than putting all that time and effort and the cows not a good mom, dosen't bred back, not enough milk etc. I rather have a terminal bull and raise pounds.

it depends on the cull rate of your own vs the purchased ones, and it depends on the cost of feed too
If it was the case everyone must be an idiot to keep a calf after weaning, but there's people that make money doing just that
In what circumstance is it cheaper to keep a heifer though?
Keep in mind that I didn't say better.
Often the most expensive animal on the place is a retained bred heifer

Maybe if you had weaned one about fall of 21, back when they brought, say, $1.20 lb, and you had plenty of year-round good quality grass, and you decided to retain her, and you compared that to what it would have cost you to buy one spring of 23, at $2.50 lb or more, retaining one may have been cheaper.

Last edited:
You can't leave what is better out of the equation in my opinion. The difficulty for some is how do you put a price on what is better. It is obviously worth something. What good does it do me to buy heifers that are cheaper but are not as good? How much does that cheaper heifer go up in price when she doesn't get bred or bred in time? Raises a dink? Etc..

I realize all of that can happen with raised ones but I just feel you have a good chance of having a better replacement that has grown up on your place and came from cattle that thrive on your place.

Cost is kind of a false metric for comparison. Value is much more appropriate.

You can't leave what is better out of the equation in my opinion. The difficulty for some is how do you put a price on what is better. It is obviously worth something. What good does it do me to buy heifers that are cheaper but are not as good?
It won't be cheaper if she is not as good. But, don't care what you raise, you can always find some for sale that are as good or better for the same or less money than you can raise one.

Since we figure raising costs and it will take around 1750 to raise one up to calving, then I would question whether I could buy anything as good or better, bred, for that... taking into the added consideration that I KNOW what they are bred to, and have a much better chance of being comfortable with the "calving ease" of the bull... So, I have to take exception with the constant statements that you can buy one that is as good or better for the same or less money than I can raise one... AND,,,,, know the disposition of the ones you are raising by the time they get to calving age...
Good heifers in this area are bringing in the 2-2500 range... NOT cheaper than I can raise mine for.... and I know that 99% of mine will let me get near them if they are having trouble and I can get them into the barn to intervene if need be... can't say that about bought ones either...
Yes, there are always those that have a personality "disorder" when comes time to calve... but I would trust my own to react in a certain way much more than a bunch of bought ones...

Since we figure raising costs and it will take around 1750 to raise one up to calving, then I would question whether I could buy anything as good or better, bred, for that... taking into the added consideration that I KNOW what they are bred to, and have a much better chance of being comfortable with the "calving ease" of the bull... So, I have to take exception with the constant statements that you can buy one that is as good or better for the same or less money than I can raise one... AND,,,,, know the disposition of the ones you are raising by the time they get to calving age...
Good heifers in this area are bringing in the 2-2500 range... NOT cheaper than I can raise mine for.... and I know that 99% of mine will let me get near them if they are having trouble and I can get them into the barn to intervene if need be... can't say that about bought ones either...
Yes, there are always those that have a personality "disorder" when comes time to calve... but I would trust my own to react in a certain way much more than a bunch of bought ones...
You forgot the $3 a pound the retained one could have brought at 6 month weaning. Add that to the $1750 cost to raise her, Now you are looking at $3250 costs to retain. So, buying one for $2500 would be cheaper. And, if it is an open heifer, you have a weaned calf to sell in 15 months, vs raising one that will be 30-31 months old when you sell her 1st calf. So the bought heifer gives you a calf a year earlier, and gives you her 2nd calf at about the same time you get the 1st off the retained one. Twice the revenue. And if you are buying bred heifers, the time until you get calves to sell is reduced even more.

It won't be cheaper if she is not as good. But, don't care what you raise, you can always find some for sale that are as good or better for the same or less money than you can raise one.
Easy to say. But that claim that she is as good or better - how can you tell that at time of purchase? Before she has or weans a calf? Fertility, productivity, longevity, and all. By looking? Have an expert trained eye? Ouija board? I don't think so. Knowledge of the cow family and history and how they were managed will be a more accurate predictor.

Latest posts