Riding and Shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

When we went to the ranch rodeo night at the SA Rodeo they had a little competition for that. It was pretty impressive. Old man that was ex military and leo, I think, with a vest cleaned house. When he rode out I was trying not to jump to conclusions but he had that look like he was the man to beat.

It's good trick shooting. They use powder only or powder and wadding loads usually from what I've seen. Seems fun. I use powder only loads in one of my wheelguns to kill wasps sometimes, can't imagine trying to do it as fast as they move lmao. I want to buy a pack of those wax slugs to see how much mischief I can get up to with those.

Yep. Cowboy Mounted Shooting.

Tons of fun for the whole family. About 2000, the GA CMSA would come to the covered arena near me about 3 times a year to hold exhibition, and to let people try it out. They'd let you stand in the 1st group of balloons, and get used to shooting on foot, using their guns. And they would help you get your horse used to gun fire.,etc. Lots of foloks used gaited horses, like SSHs, foundation type Walkers, Foxtrotters etc. These were so easy to get used to the gunfire, and more level headed. Even Level 5 shooters used them a lot. WHen you got top the big events, like the national championships , there were long classes, using 45lc lever actions. This took a whole different kind of horse, and a very accomplished horseman, as you have to run the course using your legs and body. Your hands would be occupied with the rifle. Made alot of money training these horses for folks. Obama's ammo shortage about 2010 or so, put a damper on CMS for a while. Too expensive even if you could find it. I haven't paid it much attention since then, but I hope it is making a comeback. It is a very safe, very easy to get learn, and not very expensive, as far as horses go, to get into until you get to top level and want to do long guns. With the pistols, you don't have to have all that expensive a horse to do it. Back then, a pair of single-action 45's only cost about $800 or so. I haven't looked at them lately. If you like to shoot, and are an intermediate rider at least, with a horse with a good handle, I just don't know how you could have more fun than this.

Edited to add: Well, now that I think of it, the costumes required for competition cost a lot too. No Wranglers, you have to wear the authentic wool britches that button and have no pockets, held up buy suspenders. The button up shirts with no pockets and collars, with the leather cuffs at the wrist, No lace up ropers...has to be authentic boots., Same with the cowboy hats. Tack, holsters etc. have to be leather, No synthetic saddles, nylon bridels or holsters , etc.

Last edited:
The people at the rodeo would doing patterns between the poles. They would start with pistols then switch to lever actions or shotguns. Very talented both riding and shooting. They were shooting at a run for sure. There was no joy riding.

I think I was the only one flinching when they were shooting in my direction. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Yes, as the voice over says she's recreating the wild west.
Lord knows how many dangerous balloons needed ride by shooting 150 years ago.
Maybe it could be updated by giving guns and targets to NASCAR drivers.
Or for a really modern twist a grand prix race through urban areas with drive by shootings.
Now that would be entertaining. :)
Wild West era ended at the turn of the 20th century, but that's never stopped grown men from fantasizing.

Yes, as the voice over says she's recreating the wild west.
Lord knows how many dangerous balloons needed ride by shooting 150 years ago.
Maybe it could be updated by giving guns and targets to NASCAR drivers.
Or for a really modern twist a grand prix race through urban areas with drive by shootings.
Now that would be entertaining. :)
Wild West era ended at the turn of the 20th century, but that's never stopped grown men from fantasizing.
Are you a hater cause you can't ride or shoot?

That is impressive. I loved their expressions. Definitely focused on the task at hand.
I saw something sort of similar once, it was the Indian version of this. Bareback with bows
and arrows. The one guy and his little pinto were amazing, hope he appreciates that little horse.

Caustic Burno Thanks for sharing that.

(y)
I've never actually seen it much less tried it on horseback, but looks very difficult as I'm sure the balloons come up a lot faster than they appear to in the video..aquiring targets that are that close to you while traveling at speed has got to take some real skill, not to mention having to keep your butt planted on the leather and still being able to control the horse..

but.....I had a little more space to work in operating from this 🚁 .

If they ever get a deal going competing from a motorized wheelchair, I might have a chance. (I ain't in one yet but ya have to keep yore options open)

The mounted shooting club around here uses cartridges loaded with ground corn cobs. It has enough smack to break a balloon, but doesn't travel very far.

I remember the first time I shot off my horse! I thought I was going to have to shoot the damn horse to get my saddle back. It was my fault as it one of those life lessons that give you wisdom if you survive.
I got the coyote, then I had to remove the bluebird nest from my back pocket after I landed. That was a long time ago, that fall would kill me today.

Son of Butch, it would not have been a safe place for you. The Indians were shooting "dummies".
So you're saying recreating the wild west wasn't about shooting balloons, but riding by and shooting head sized stationary targets 4-5 feet off the ground. Maybe they could put red confetti in the balloons to enhance Burno's fantasy life.

So you're saying recreating the wild west is about riding by and shooting head sized stationary targets 4-5 feet off the ground.
Maybe they could put red confetti in the balloons to enhance Burno's fantasy life.
Really what is your problem that no matter the thread you try to stir ?
Why would you think watching someone with good riding skill is a fantasy life?
No different than watching a head and heeling team or barrel racer.
Enough!

Latest posts