Rotational Grazing Advice Needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Stickney94

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance on rotational grazing/MIG. I've been practicing this for the last five years or so and slightly modifying my set-up each year. I've been struggling with cool, wet springs with no grass and then a sudden change where all my pasture is mature in a matter of days.

1. At what grass height or stage do you start grazing your pasture?
2. Have you noticed any increase in cattle lameness since moving to MIG?

My grass has gotten way too big this year. I like to start grazing at 10-12" and take them off at 6" or so. This year I just keep trying to move them through on a schedule.
It does seem that I see more foot issues. My cows are never more than 150 yards from water and much of the time 50 yards or less. They hardly have to walk any at all so I see some feet growing out more than I like.

Thanks. I'm probably not getting my cattle onto pasture soon enough in the spring. I've been reluctant to start to early because its been so wet and the cattle seem to turn the paddock into a mud hole so quickly.

I was looking into bringing water to my paddocks but am rethinking that due to similar issues with feet. When I bought the last of my dad's herd he warned me that he thought my space limitations might prevent the cows from walking enough for his liking.

1. I try to hold off until the fescue and orchard grass has 4 leaves. Some years I start a bit sooner. The height depends on the weather.

2. I have not noticed any increase in lameness or any foot issues. In fact, I have had fewer feet issues. However, I started feeding a better mineral about the same time I started rotational grazing. The mineral could easily be the reason I have fewer feet issues.

Foot problems seem to effect old cows more. Also, make sure you have a good amount of clover.

We turn them out when the grass is about 10 or 12 inches y'all.

Keep them moving if you're getting plenty of rain. I've been giving them plenty of room with each allotment and not letting them eat it down too low. Leaving a good residual behind helps against the mud. It has been real wet here this summer, but luckily not much mud to speak of. Ground seems to bounce back real fast with rest and short exposures to hooves.

On the mature stuff, I really chocked thrm down on it this year. Moved thrm a couple times a day. They are what they wanted and stomped the majority into the ground.

Their condition might have slipped just a tad when everything was mature, would not call them lame though.

Maybe a few pushing others around in their competition for the good for ages?

Sounds like you've got a fair amount of mud possibly, keeping the cattle feet wet. Could That contribute to the feet issues? I doubt they are having trouble due to not walking enough. They walk plenty grazing IMO.

Best of luck.

DCA farm said:
I rotational graze my place and My cows can't keep up with my grass. I need to buy more but just ain't done it
I have bought several extra this summer also. But hard to maximize the grazing and also be profitable. Right now im starting to graze the paddocks that I will then stock pile for the winter. I want them grazed or bushhogged down to about 5" and then I will spread Urea before Sept 1st. Will start grazing those paddocks on Dec 20th.

One thing to always remember. There is no perfect answer. Work on the fertility and the grass will always be better. Anything done is better than saying it's too much trouble. Growing grass is way cheaper than hay or buying feed.
My goal this year is to graze 40 cows 11 months. Doesn't sound like much but on a steep 42 acres its a pretty good goal. Oh and that's with 0 bought feed. My cows are too fat now.

kenny thomas said:
One thing to always remember. There is no perfect answer. Work on the fertility and the grass will always be better. Anything done is better than saying it's too much trouble. Growing grass is way cheaper than hay or buying feed.
My goal this year is to graze 40 cows 11 months. Doesn't sound like much but on a steep 42 acres its a pretty good goal. Oh and that's with 0 bought feed. My cows are too fat now.

I usually can graze till November then Iam all out of grass. How many units of N do you spread? Do you spread it on all 42 acres or just the part that you stockpile to graze in Dec?

I'm in the process of baling 50 acres that the cows aren't going to get to before it burns under an august sun. Been 4 weeks since the last rain. Probably get to start feeding it back to them pretty soon.

Past 9 years I've recycled excess grass back into the ground. I've cut fertilizer use about 70% in doing so.

pricefarm said:
kenny thomas said:

I usually can graze till November then Iam all out of grass. How many units of N do you spread? Do you spread it on all 42 acres or just the part that you stockpile to graze in Dec?
I need something to graze from Sept 1 till Dec 20th so only do 20 acres. I try to put 55 lb of actual nitrogen ( about 130lb of urea) per acre on it.
I might run out of grass before Dec 20, but if I do I unroll hay until then. It's easier to feed here in late November/early December than all of Feburary. This year I dont think i will need to feed until late February and turn out by April 1-5.
Also I will still rotate them when I have to start feeding. Here we get some growth all winter plus it spreads the manure and any waste over a larger area.
All this said and if we get a big snow everything changes until it's gone. I still unroll the hay on the snow.

Kenny,
Do you also leave 6" of residual in the final graze before stockpiling? And do you feel that any old senescent forage should be trampled at that point?

Thanks,
Your answers have always been helpful

Thanks for all the replies. I'm curious about how much cover ya'll leave in the fall as well.

Living in MN we have winters so the pasture is left vacant from at least Nov to mid-April.

MO-Ruminants said:
Kenny,
Do you also leave 6" of residual in the final graze before stockpiling? And do you feel that any old senescent forage should be trampled at that point?

Thanks,
Your answers have always been helpful

The final grazing or bush hogging I don't want it below 5" if I can help it. Remember there is as much roots below ground as there is green forage above so it goes down to 1" that's only 1" to help the stockpile recover and grow.

I have to feed hay from Nov to April also.
In a "normal" year, I get them out on grass when it's still pretty short (like 6-8"). I turn the herd out into a whole paddock, generally for 1 day, then the next. By the 8th day/paddock it usually will last two days. I have 10 main paddocks plus the 3 sacrificed winter paddocks that we graze also. By the time I come back to paddock 1 (little over 2 weeks), it will generally last 2-3 days. When there is more than 4 days worth, I split the paddock. None of my paddocks really have a water source. They have to come back to the barn lot for water. I do not feel it has ever affected my weaning weights. It sure makes it easier to catch cows for AI !!!!
Now, all of this is based on the fact that spring grass here grows like crazy. If I don't get on it right away, it definitely gets ahead of the cows. EXCEPT, this year was soooo cold and wet "forever" and then turned dryer and hotter than normal NY weather, we have struggled to keep grass in front of our cows.

The final grazing or bush hogging I don't want it below 5" if I can help it. Remember there is as much roots below ground as there is green forage above so it goes down to 1" that's only 1" to help the stockpile recover and grow.

Helpful advice indeed...I believe you are a bit south of us, but in your environment, what is the latest in the year you can safely graze and still expect growth for winter stockpiling?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I have to feed hay from Nov to April also.
In a "normal" year, I get them out on grass when it's still pretty short (like 6-8"). I turn the herd out into a whole paddock, generally for 1 day, then the next. By the 8th day/paddock it usually will last two days. I have 10 main paddocks plus the 3 sacrificed winter paddocks that we graze also. By the time I come back to paddock 1 (little over 2 weeks), it will generally last 2-3 days. When there is more than 4 days worth, I split the paddock. None of my paddocks really have a water source. They have to come back to the barn lot for water. I do not feel it has ever affected my weaning weights. It sure makes it easier to catch cows for AI !!!!
Now, all of this is based on the fact that spring grass here grows like crazy. If I don't get on it right away, it definitely gets ahead of the cows. EXCEPT, this year was soooo cold and wet "forever" and then turned dryer and hotter than normal NY weather, we have struggled to keep grass in front of our cows.

Thanks -- based on yours and earlier advice I need to get my cattle out earlier in the spring. Of course we had 6 inches of snow on May 9th this year, so who knows any more, haha. But I will plan for that next spring.

This year it seemed like we went from 6" grass to headed out and mature in about 15 days.

MO-Ruminants said:

Helpful advice indeed...I believe you are a bit south of us, but in your environment, what is the latest in the year you can safely graze and still expect growth for winter stockpiling?
Yes I am lots further south but I want the cows off before Labor Day weekend. It will work later if the season is right but it's a good date for here.
I rarely get enough snow to cover the grass so that's lots different also.

Latest posts