Self sucker

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Short of a bullet, anyone ever dealt with a self sucker? I weaned off a calf from a Dexter, and the booger started sucking herself. I put a crown weaner in her nose and she still manages to get around it. I can put the larger one in, and hope it hurts enough she quits or try the butterfly weaner.. I had a goat years ago I shipped out because of this very issue, she ruined her udder.. and I simply got rid of her.. This cow is bred and house by herself so she won't teach the other cows her !@$##$
I would like to get the calf off of her, but realize unless I can break her there wont be milk for the calf, and she would end up teaching the calf bad habits. She is naturally polled and those genetic are very rare in this area, and I can't pawn her off on someone else--that's not right--unless she goes out to auction as "doubtful health" any thoughts? thanks

I had a Brahma cross heifer that I bought bred. Buyers remorse as she was ugly and calved out a dead calf. To add insult to misery, she nursed herself.

Only because I was needing cows and I overpaid for the heifer, she she was allowed to stay. I did not want to admit to myself that I made a mistake. I thought she would grow into her lanky frame. She never did, but she had a nice second calf and never nursed herself again. She is still ugly but has been in the herd about 7 years and produces a slightly above average, large frame calf, always on time. Results may vary.

I was pushing the grain and minerals when she started self sucking.. I suspect it started with a udder that was full and hurt -then it went from there. She just wont put on weight even when on high grain,( barley and de-wormed )so I cut her almost off and she only gets a small amount of grain now and hasn't lost anything that I can tell, but it is the self sucking that HAS to be stopped. I don't want the other cows following her example, so other than at feeding time she is housed by her self.. I had a goat years ago that did that and she totally ruined her udder. She got mastitis so bad that she had abscesses inside of the udder that worked their way to the surface and I lanced the pus out of the outside of the udder..( she was on antibiotics to boot) Is tar toxic for them to ingest?? I am not in the barn all the time to use a shock collar, but the thought has occurred.. Thanks...

Latest posts