Selling young bred heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

bmoore87

Reaction score
Recently had bought a group of replacement heifers and had the vet give them a pelvic exam and 2 of them came back as 5-6 months bred. These heifers are around 13 months old and probably weigh 825. I talked to the breeder I had bought them from and he was very good and said to sell them and he would make it right for what I lost out on. So I was wondering a couple of things:

1.) Could I sell these as bred heifers if I made clear of their age (the breeder said sell them as straight to slaughter if I felt more comfortable) they are very nice purebreds out of angus ai bulls with good frame so would be a shame to slaughter.

2.) What should I all asked reimbursed on besides cost of heifer. Would feed, vet bills and trucking all be reasonable or am I out on those?

Thanks in advance.

Sell them in a sale barn and don't worry about their age. Or if you sell them private treaty just be honest about the weight and age. They could easily bring 1600 plus if they are nice and large framed for their weight.

I'd find out what bull they were with and then decide to calve them out or not.

I actually just bought one heifer last week that was bred because the price was so cheap (I paid 48% of what the non breds cost) And I'll take my chances on her. I have experience getting calves out of them before, but it is a gamble if I will lose the calf, and a bigger gamble I may lose her - I'm not terribly worried though. I've calved smaller than her before. She's 14mo old.

The thing is with these young mothers, some of them hit home runs, they raise a decent calf the first year and then keep at it for years to come. They are fertile. You get an extra year of production out of them, but I don't make it a habit to encourage the practice. The risk is there, plus they need a little extra care and attention the first calf season.

bmoore87":xr8ij8gz said:
2.) What should I all asked reimbursed on besides cost of heifer. Would feed, vet bills and trucking all be reasonable or am I out on those?

Others may disagree, but the difference between what you paid for her and what she sells for is all I would expect if I had bought her.

if they weigh 825lbs at 5 months bred.i would be tempted to throw the dice on them and calve them out.because by the time they calve they should weigh over 900lbs.mind you i would watch them like a hawk.

bigbull338":324ixnbu said:
if they weigh 825lbs at 5 months bred.i would be tempted to throw the dice on them and calve them out.because by the time they calve they should weigh over 900lbs.mind you i would watch them like a hawk.

This.

WalnutCrest":1yrswp3g said:
bigbull338":1yrswp3g said:

This.

I had thought about it and then keeping the heifer or after calving fattening her out. If they fell during either my spring or fall calving season I do it since Id be keeping a close eye on them anyway but they dont line up with anything and wouldnt be able to check them as close.

THanks for the help Ill run them through the barn and let them know their bred.

One of my young ones that calved as a yearling last year jumped ahead 2 months this year. So she went from june into april, right back in with my herd. But really they could use the extra break to line up with the later calving herd.

I caught my largest 2 yr old and the 14mo old standing together, that are both going to have their 1st calves, the size difference is incredible.

20150428_095657.jpg

Update

Supa Dexta":2bv9ik5n said:
Calved one today (who I bought a couple weeks ago), she was born feb 5th 2014, so she'll be 15mo tomorrow. 80lb heifer calf, was a hard pull even for 3 of us and using a calf jack. But they are doing well now.

20150504_124141.jpg

shortybreeder":2vz7xa2r said:
If they are really nice heifers that you'd like to keep then why not just lute&dex them?

Because mid 2nd trimester they won't necessarily abort. Even with the Dex.

3waycross":19ou9e91 said:
shortybreeder":19ou9e91 said:
If they are really nice heifers that you'd like to keep then why not just lute&dex them?

Because mid 2nd trimester they won't necessarily abort. Even with the Dex.
True, but they'd also be far enough along that one could give it a shot and palpate to see if it worked without having to pay a vet to preg-check again... Idk, just figured I'd throw that out there if he really liked them.

Latest posts