September calves!

Help Support CattleToday:

dave_shelby said:
Impressed you got the calf grafted on easy. Great way to get kicked.

It's an ongoing saga in the other thread titled, "here we go again" lol
So far so good tho. It's very odd, she seems to love it, but at the same time, she shoves it around. Very protective when the dog comes around too. But still very unsure. Shes confused. She knew her baby was gone and now here's this new one. Idk

It appears my hereford heifer may be starting to labor. Shes been up and down more times than I can count. Constantly beating at her sides with her head. I used to read threads about folks checking heifers every 3 hours and I thought they were crazy. Well, I guess I'm crazy....

Bertha looked real close this afternoon too.

Well I got Ethels calf tagged today. She was not happy about it! She has a fault, btw. Stays away for about a week. But when she comes up, she always brings her calf. She gets so jittery she will leave the pen weather baby comes or not. I got him tagged without penning him in the "TAGGING" pen. He was right up against the fence bellering for mama and I just grabbed his lil ear and pop! Got him!

Lucy should be along in a month or so. Shes my old brahma mama. They both make good calves.
Lucy and Ethel. The discount sale barn sisters

So I'm kinda freaking out a lil. Not gonna lie. Checked em about 20 minutes ago. They are both laying down. Laying a bit odd. Breathing differently. Neither one got up when I got there like they usually do. Thatll be about how this works. Both in labor at the same time.
I hope I'm just seeing things...

They both have good sized bags. Been springing pretty heavy for a while now. Good grief!

Big Bertha is calving now.
Pics soon...

Got A Pic. Lol

First one out of Big Sexy. My hereford bull.

I was expecting a bald face.... lol
I opted not to tag this one today, mama seemed pretty fired up.

One of the watched pots finally boiled!!
She is retaining for now, but I know she just spit baby out too.
No baby at 530am, at 830 this is what I saw..

Something I've noticed. It's not terrible scientific of anything, but the bwf bull that has bred these girls, the only ones that have issues seem to be with bull calves. When he throws a heifer calf, I think there is no problem. Of coarse, heifer babies are usually smaller anyway. And I've heard usually heifer babies come sooner that a bull baby. That is, gestation can sometimes be shorter.
Anyway!! One more heifer to go, then I'll have another heifer due about December. She will be bred to Hank. My charolais. We will see how that goes.
2 days, 2 new babies!
Woot! Woot!!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

New mama was seriously thinking about killing me I think. Glad I took her horns off. I'll tag her calf in the trailer when I take em home. Lmao.

First one I've had paw the ground at me!!
Head down, right paw, left paw, right paw.
I dont think she was bluffing either.
I may just sell em if she dont chill a little.

O! She cleared placenta today too. So I guess shes a pretty good ol first calver I reckon.

I've found that typically bull calves cook for about 2-3 days longer than heifer calves.. I"ve kept track of it over 220 births so far.. there are breed differences as well

Got home just in time to sort her into a seperate pen.
She laid back down and spit it right out!
DONE with heifers for a bit now...

Edited...
Now THATS a black bald face!
Actually looks more like a (GASP) black hereford.
Lmao!!
This one is out of my bwf mutt one jewel wonder of a bull. And it's another heffah!

Good grief. Was it really September when I started grafting these 2 knuckleheads??
They dang sure figured it out!
20201021_174002.jpg
I'll get a couple current pics of my only herf and the other gal too soon as I can.

Latest posts