Sheeps vs Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

mml373

Reaction score
So.... I have a piddly 35 acre farm and am not likely to have more. Land prices are just too expensive and folks aren't selling. No generational wealth or land "in the family", either, and I'm starting as a brand new farmer/rancher with virtually no help from folks I know. The property was neglected for years, so I'm having to replace shop/shed/hay barn and house, which are either too small to meet need or just too far gone to justify renovation. Replacing some fences as well. Cost is substantial. Oh, and I'm fully disabled (thanks, flu shot).

Starting a new operation is tough, tougher if you're disabled, and tougher still if you don't do the right things.

I have cattle on the property right now. 13 cow/calf pairs is about all I understand my acreage will support. With my disability and inability to move quickly, I'm wondering if maybe I should go down to a smaller animal (sheep). By my math, if I set aside 30 acres and assume 1 cow per 3 acres per year of rotational grazing, I can have 10 cows to breed and sell maybe 10 calfs each year. On that same amount of land, I can have 90 ewes and sell as many or more lambs each year. Income is higher per steer vs per lamb, so it is hoped the difference in number of lambs raised and sold will make up for that. Looks like about $1200 per steer is going rate in my area, and $270 per lamb (based on average weight of steer I sold last year, and a guess on weight of lambs I might sell).

Any other disabled folks dealing with cattle here? I'm just concerned I won't be able to load them on a stock trailer or otherwise work with them due to mobility issues.

So.... I have a piddly 35 acre farm and am not likely to have more. Land prices are just too expensive and folks aren't selling. No generational wealth or land "in the family", either, and I'm starting as a brand new farmer/rancher with virtually no help from folks I know. The property was neglected for years, so I'm having to replace shop/shed/hay barn and house, which are either too small to meet need or just too far gone to justify renovation. Replacing some fences as well. Cost is substantial. Oh, and I'm fully disabled (thanks, flu shot).

Starting a new operation is tough, tougher if you're disabled, and tougher still if you don't do the right things.

I have cattle on the property right now. 13 cow/calf pairs is about all I understand my acreage will support. With my disability and inability to move quickly, I'm wondering if maybe I should go down to a smaller animal (sheep). By my math, if I set aside 30 acres and assume 1 cow per 3 acres per year of rotational grazing, I can have 10 cows to breed and sell maybe 10 calfs each year. On that same amount of land, I can have 90 ewes and sell as many or more lambs each year. Income is higher per steer vs per lamb, so it is hoped the difference in number of lambs raised and sold will make up for that. Looks like about $1200 per steer is going rate in my area, and $270 per lamb (based on average weight of steer I sold last year, and a guess on weight of lambs I might sell).

Any other disabled folks dealing with cattle here? I'm just concerned I won't be able to load them on a stock trailer or otherwise work with them due to mobility issues.
Where is "here"?
It sounds like you have bitten off a large chew, but have taken the challenge to make it work.
My last ranch was 25 miles north of Sturgis SD and it was once the sheep capital of the world, according to them. Now there aren't alot of sheep. But they had a saying that sounded like wisdom to me.
"Cattle are for pride, sheep are for profit."
I hate to say it but an animal that births an average of two offspring per year is probably more likely to make money, and there are some obvious handling advantages. The big problem is that there is no real market for wool and those I've know recently that had sheep had to do their own shearing or give the wool away if someone would come to do it. There are haired sheep that don't require shearing and you might want to look into them.
I just don't like the lanolin that sheep are covered in. Maybe that would be less with haired sheep too, but I don't know.
Good luck. Any questions you have, there are a lot of people here that have a lot of experience.

Sheep and goats can lamb/kid twice yearly if managed right, and prices are high (for now)-weaning age goat kids are $4/lb-that's potentially 2 kids/lambs per dam, weaned at 3-4 months, selling for around $200/each.
Predators and parasites, along with fencing needs are your big challenges. Also, they can graze down to bare ground, seemingly easier than a cow (thinner lips). I've seen badly overgrazed sheep pastures because sometimes the equation isn't as predicted.
Smaller, yes. More manageable? Not always. I've been hit harder by a buck goat than I would like to admit. Depends on your mobility…

I suspect if you spend plenty of time around your animals, the bigger ones may actually be easier to handle, but I say that without being around sheep at all and goats just incidentally. predators can wipe out those smaller ones pretty quick. I do know that.

My experience with sheep has been 5 sheep will eat as much as one cow. With todays wool market a meaty type hair sheep makes sense.
Sheep require more attention than cows which equals more work. Sheep have physically hurt me worse than cows. The most I ever managed was 1000 head. My best and most reliable help were Border Collies. Whichever way you decide to go, bovine or ovine, make sure they are very gentle :)

Don't focus on profit per head but profit per acre.

Given your situation, and since you are replacing fences anyway, sheep would definitely be a strong possibility. You Tube has a lot of videos on it.

The Shepherdess has a lot of great information on this.

So people have had some questions, "Where are you located", and "describe your disability", which seem like reasonable questions so you get better advice. You helping us help you by giving us relevant information might be a good idea.

My Dad tried sheep many years ago. Dogs were one of the worst predetors. He tried it for two years and became convinced that a sheep was born looking for a place to die.

View attachment 13887
I raised sheep for 5 years, I aimed to lamb 2 months before Easter. Certain ethnic groups wanted them for celebration. I sold them right off the ewe for $200-250 each.
The ewe in the picture is Lulu, she was Grant County WA Grand Champion lamb. She had twins her first time then 3 sets of triplets. Triplets are extra work. A friend in SW Montana feeds a semi load of milk replacement every year, but they have 3500 ewes 🤣🤣

Thanks for the replies, all! Some interesting bits of information in your responses and I can tell there can be some money in sheep if you're lucky or good.

Years ago it was said that most farms around here had sheep. Dogs getting in them drove a lot of people away from sheep.
I got some sheep about 20 years ago. Mainly Suffolks, a few Dorsets and Rambouillets. Used all Suffolk rams with the exception of one Dorset.
If I were to ever get sheep again it would be a hair sheep breed, even though I like I like those big fast growing Suffolks. The wool isn't worth anything and just another labor intensive job to get them sheared.
I had an awful time with coyotes getting in them, tried everything from electric fence, Pyrenees dogs, llama, donkeys. Nothing worked completely.

As someone else mentioned rams can be dangerous. I had two that were hot as a firecracker and would nail you anytime they could. Both of those were club lamb type rams, I didn't have problems with the others, but did watch them very close and never let my guard down around them.
As @Ebenezer said it doesn't pay to get them from somewhere that babys them. I bought some Polypay ewe lambs from an agricultural college program. They looked great at first, but didn't hold up.
A neighbor told me that he was told never to buy something that you couldn't give it a better home than where it came from.

Latest posts