Shredding

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
What is shredding in the context of pasture management? I have seen the term used and don't know what it means.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I think it is shredding in the south. Here it is brush hogging. Other wise known as wastin' fuel. :)

J":19n2m0vl said:
might seem like a watse of fuel but it helps control the weeds to.

To me it is almost as tedious as moving round bales off the field. I don't like to do it, but it has to be done.

definately helps controll the weeds. We've always shredded have never sprayed for weeds. (yeap checked my dictionary and I mispelled it, learn somethin new everyday) I don't mind shredding at all, gives me time by myself where there's no one hollerin' "mama, what's for supper...." even though its noisy, it's quiet time to me.

shredding is done to control the weeds and thorn bushes.an really to keep the weeds in check.most bushhogg in the sing and fall.scott

Don't feel bad farmgirl I didn't know what shredding was either. First time I heard of it was here. I've been bushhogging for years I just didn't know I was also shredding.

Where have you seen the term shredding used? It's been either bush or brush hogging everywhere I've been too.

rwtherefords":1lhqi8oq said:
Where have you seen the term shredding used? It's been either bush or brush hogging everywhere I've been too.
If nowheres else, the term shredding has been used on these Forums, but I have heard it among cowmen and others talking about shredding their over grown with weeds pastures.

Mowing pastures is not a very good way to control weeds.

1. You are mowing the grass as well as the weeds.

2. You are not killing the weeds just cutting their tops off.

Spraying is the way to go. I can spray 2,4-D for about the same price as mowing and it actually kills the weeds. Did you know that for every pound of weeds that you kill a lb. of grass will grow in it's place and that you shouldn't fertilize UNLESS you have sprayed first. Otherwise you are growing both weeds and grass.

Now if the grass is getting too mature and you need to clip it to stimulate new growth then mowing should be done.

We shred on an as needed basis after each cattle move. The grass is grazed down and the only thing getting cut is weeds. They are not mature enough to go to seed and as the grass recovers prior to the next rotation, sod covers the bare ground enough to discourage the weeds. I don't have to worry about any poisons killing my desired crab grass and clovers that might be around.

At this time of the year we are on a 25 day rest for each pasture. The pastures are improving with each rotation and the weeds are getting more sparse.

I have been shredding all weekend and at it at 6am this morning, if it wasn't for the bugs it wouldn't be so bad.

certherfbeef":200pkf8g said:
I think it is shredding in the south. Here it is brush hogging. Other wise known as wastin' fuel. :)

I agree on the wasting fuel, its a regional thing here its bush hogging. You here the term shredding in other parts of Texas.
Seems like someone hung a hadle on it in different regions and it stuck.

We call it "bushhogging" here in Alabama because Bushhog makes rotary mowers in Selma, AL. So all rotary mowers are "bushhogs" and using them is "bushhogging." Kinda like when we buy a coke here in the South. It might be a Coca-cola, an RC, Dr. Pepper, or any other carbonated soft drink.

certherfbeef said:
J said:
might seem like a watse of fuel but it helps control the weeds to.

To me it is almost as tedious as moving round bales off the field. I don't like to do it, but it has to be done.

You got that right!

Mowing, shredding or bushhogging can be used for weed control. Mostly for looks. Spraying is more cost effective. I call mowing "revenge killing" because the weeds were have to be tall enough to mow and you get grass with it when you cut.

Latest posts