Sick of picking butter beans !!!

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
This pulling up butterbean plants and picking and shelling is getting old. If anyone wants some just come pull up a pick-up load. :welcome:

alabama":cdukcgyv said:
This pulling up butterbean plants and picking and shelling is getting old. If anyone wants some just come pull up a pick-up load. :welcome:

I have a sheller that you're welcome to use anytime.

Wonder if we could thow the whole vine in it? :lol: :lol:

I guess that I am confused - again! You all don't want to pick beans or peas - what next? :lol: This year sure beats last year when the only thing we had to pick up here was our noses!!! We never have raised any butterbeans - are they tough to get started?

Bullbuyer":2757jdi8 said:
I guess that I am confused - again! You all don't want to pick beans or peas - what next? :lol: This year sure beats last year when the only thing we had to pick up here was our noses!!! We never have raised any butterbeans - are they tough to get started?

You got that right. Last year I only got one mess out of the butterbean patch.
I don't think butterbeans are any harder to grow than peas. Just put the seed in the planter and drive over the patch. Run the cultever when you can and pull weeds. nothing to it if it rains just a little.

MikeC":1uxmisql said:
alabama":1uxmisql said:

Thanks Mike but i got two legged sheller but I think she has had about enough too.

I need to find a determinate type of butterbean. Mine are 1/2 dry, 1/2 just right, and 1/2 not filled out. It would be nice if they all got ready at the same time. Can any one help?

alabama":qst42dod said:
MikeC":qst42dod said:
alabama":qst42dod said:

Thanks Mike but i got two legged sheller but I think she has had about enough too.

I need to find a determinate type of butterbean. Mine are 1/2 dry, 1/2 just right, and 1/2 not filled out. It would be nice if they all got ready at the same time. Can any one help?

You must have a lots beans.................

3 halves on one vine? :lol2:

Sort of like an old buddy of mine one time about the nationality of his wife. He said, "She's half English, half Scottish and half Italian." I says, "Well, that equals three halves."
He says, "Well, she's a big ol' gal."

3 halves on vine ? Well that is what mu sheller said.

Half of the beans are dry.

Then later half of the beans a not filled out

Then later, only half of the beans are fit to shell.

Rule # 1) Never argue with a woman.

So yes, I have 3 halves on one vine.

OK, Butter Bean? Must be a down South thing. Is that a Lima Bean? We need some detail.

Being from the south, we always new them as butter beans, but I checked to make sure before I posted so I didn't get egg all over my face. Kind of was thinking they might be called butter beans because you have to butter them up to get them to slide down better. :)
http://www.iit.edu/~beans/lima.html
Now, what I am wondering is if alabamas' next thread is going to be titled sick of eating butter beans!!! Needless to say, for me it is not close to being a favorite bean.

alabama":2pukk1ul said:
3 halves on vine ? Well that is what mu sheller said.

Half of the beans are dry.

Then later half of the beans a not filled out

Then later, only half of the beans are fit to shell.

Rule # 1) Never argue with a woman.

So yes, I have 3 halves on one vine.

Good answer. :nod:

Did ya know they contain a compound that cyanide is made from? :shock:

alabama":109phdij said:
MikeC":109phdij said:
alabama":109phdij said:

I suspect that the varity you have is Jackson Wonder. I planted them this year a lot of beans on the vine dry and ready and not ready as you described. They are hard to shell. They sheller I bought will not shell them.

I shelled out a pan of the dried ones and cooked them one evening last week. It only took a few to make a pot full and they woke right up. they tasted almost as good as fresh. At least much better than store bought dried butter beans. I cooked them with some ham hock from a country ham too. It had a little diferent flavor than than normal ham hock. I think I like it better.

Wow! lots of different [Lima] butter beans. Sounds like a popular bean down South. Up here its Navy, Great Northern and sometimes Pinto. Great Northern is probably the most popular as far as a dry bean.

mnmtranching":3jqn45r4 said:
....Up here its Navy, Great Northern and sometimes Pinto. Great Northern is probably the most popular as far as a dry bean.

Now you are talking about some good eat'n beans. :nod:

Latest posts