Smoke sucks. (with a few pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
what a disgusting day it was. hot, smokey, and dry.

you can tell in this pic what has been irrigated (once) and what hasnt. it hasnt rained enough this year to break up the cow patties and i dont think there are any bugs still alive to plunder around in the mess.
DSCN5274.jpg

DSCN5273.jpg

DSCN5262.jpg

on the way in. notice the ring around the sun. that means there is a 100% chance of rain on part of my pasture.
DSCN5266.jpg

on the way out.
DSCN5271.jpg

Beefy, that resembles some of my retirement portfolio. :cry: The smoke has been bad here lately. Even heard some PSA's from the Dept. of Health on the radio about it.

Between the drought, fires and culling down to the size of a small petting zoo I've decided to take a long deserved vacation and go on a cruise. Can't do anything else so might as well have some fun doing nothing for a change. :banana: :drink:

i may be going on a cruise to milledgeville in the near future.

Beefy":9i5ofgwl said:
i may be going on a cruise to milledgeville in the near future.
Yeah, that was my other option. I doubt the pads in the rooms would be thick enough for me.

Seriously though, is the smoke beginning to bother you in any way? I woke up this morning throat was sore, coughing and just didn't feel well. (And I didn't even go to the opium den last night. Go figure.) :lol:

i normally suffer from allergies pretty bad- dust, pollen, and smoke. so far, i mean ive been a little stuffy in the mornings, but nothing really out of the ordinary. i have been coughing some today. luckily we have about 2 days of smoke, then it goes away somewhere and comes back. so at least i get a break from it for a day or so.

Man that stuff is rough we even have it here in upstate SC.
I have been coughing like crazy.I hope it blows outta here soon I can't imagine what it's like in in south GA.

yeah theres a small fire burning south georgia and the state of florida.

I'm sorry,guys.. Texas looked like that a couple of years ago.
No fun attall..

I sure feel for you guys. Smoke does suck as does drought. Cutting down the herd and trying to survive is enough to put anyone in a padded room. Keep your eyes focused on Heaven. I just know there is lush grass there, and I bet there isn't even any flooding to get it.

Victoria":34a3c44j said:
I sure feel for you guys. Smoke does suck as does drought. Cutting down the herd and trying to survive is enough to put anyone in a padded room. Keep your eyes focused on Heaven. I just know there is lush grass there, and I bet there isn't even any flooding to get it.

I don't want to check out for lush green grass. See me in July. All the signs here point to a droughty summer. There was a dust devil in the driveway (gravel) today. Wind is hot and 10-15 mph. The last big drought was 1988. We'll see what this year has for us. 1st cutting hay is seriously deficient, due to quirky weather already. I expect to cull harder than usual.

Terrible pictures Beefy.

The first cuttings of hay are coming in at 1/3 to 1/2 of normal here.

I thought about crying about all of ours situation. But decided the good would be too localized and provide no relief for any of us even if I did it outside.

I remember going thru this last summer...the smoke seemed to hang in the air forever. I remember being frightened everytime I heard sirens (the volunteer fire dept. is within hearing distance of where we live) and the sirens went off thru out the day. Sometimes I would see spirals of smoke that looked too close for comfort, so I was calling the Sheriff's dept. at least once a week. It got to a point that I was afraid to leave my house in case something broke out and I needed to try to evacuate animals.

My heart goes out to all of you guys.

Alice

john250":17t87okn said:
Victoria":17t87okn said:

I don't want to check out for lush green grass. See me in July. All the signs here point to a droughty summer. There was a dust devil in the driveway (gravel) today. Wind is hot and 10-15 mph. The last big drought was 1988. We'll see what this year has for us. 1st cutting hay is seriously deficient, due to quirky weather already. I expect to cull harder than usual.

Wow, I just re-read my post and I think it should go over to the put your foot in your mouth post. :lol: Didn't mean to sound so negative.
It's snowing here now. I'd send it your way if I could.

On the contrary Victoria, your post didn't seem negative to me but right on the money. This is just part of the curse of Eve and you are right, it too will pass.(I hope shortly though) This drought and all is definitely a test to temper our souls.

You know, most people who are not in agriculture do not realize how something as ordinary as rainfall can make or break you. Or how the lack of rainfall can destroy or set back years of work and planning.

Right now, it doesn't make a hill of beans what kinda of mineral your using or what kind of bull you got - its just a matter of hanging on for dear life and hoping when this ride is over you'll have something left to show for these years of work.

Wewild":24qmzsac said:
Terrible pictures Beefy.

The first cuttings of hay are coming in at 1/3 to 1/2 of normal here.

I thought about crying about all of ours situation. But decided the good would be too localized and provide no relief for any of us even if I did it outside.

i think we should all get together and have a good cry. maybe sing a song...

peg4x4":32r3avmi said:
Jogeephus":32r3avmi said:
the curse of Eve ]

Just perzatley what is THAT!!??

That is a saying used here for man's toils on earth. When God expelled Adam and Eve from the garden he promised us hardships and not smooth sailing if you get my drift.

Latest posts