Smoking Chicken Pieces

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm":2hfoay2i said:
Kingfisher":2hfoay2i said:
How would you prepare some chicken thy before you smoked them?
Just apply your favorite seasoning and smoke away.
My experience with chicken is the dry rub and the smoker just makes for some dry chicken.

Are you leaving the skin on? If so I put a little vegetable oil on it before I coat with rub and put them in a foil pan which seems to keep the skin from burning up and keeps the thighs moist.

You can try this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... ken-365437 obviously for the rub and sauce you may want to use the ones of your preference but the technique has won him many BBQ championships over the years. I own his Smokin' book and tried some of his recipes and techniques and it's amazing how by just changing how you do your BBQ how much better you can make things taste.

Would sugar/salt water really be considered a brine?
Yes I've used that oil on the skin trick. It seems to help unless I forget to do it!

Kingfisher":1ja2jzzk said:
Would sugar/salt water really be considered a brine?
Yes I've used that oil on the skin trick. It seems to help unless I forget to do it!
Maybe not, but that is what I use. I got the idea from turkey brine that used fruit and salt. I figured the fruit added sugar and there you go. I just now looked it it up on the interweb and found some with sugar, mostly brown sugar, along with salt. Looks like you see all kinds of stuff added to brine.

I tried all kinds of things added, like garlic, white pepper and other savories. Nothing seemed to have an effect but salt and sugar. There you go..

From http://bbq.about.com/cs/turkey/a/aa110103a.htm

"Sweetening the Brine: Sugar is optional in any brine, but works to counteract the flavor of the salt. While you may choose a brine without sugar, I do recommend that you add sugar (any kind of "sweet" will do) to maintain the flavor of the turkey. Add up to 1 cup of sugar per gallon of brine. Like the salt, you need to make sure that the sugar is completely dissolved. "

Next turkey you brine try adding a little vanilla to it. Few people will know what it is but most will agree there is a friendly flavor in the meat that reminds them of their childhoods.

Another vote here for brining. Basic brine is 1 cup salt to 1 gallon water. For a whole cut up chicken, or family size batch of chicken pieces, I only make up 1/2 gallon of brine. 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar, smashed garlic cloves, bay leaves, lemon juice and the halves of the lemon. Pieces will brine in about 45 minutes. For a whole bird, leave overnight. Rinse, pat dry, and if you want rub that's the time to apply it. I put chicken pieces on hottest part of grill to sear both sides, then move off to a cooler zone to finish cooking. Our smoker isn't a very good one, doesn't hold a steady temp for shytte, so I just 'indirect grill', besides it's faster. And by using real charcoal, almost as good as slow smoked.