Snapping Turtles

Help Support CattleToday:

There are a couple of ponds by the house and I feed them bread crumbs. Very easy to train. Just saying.

I think that has happened with a lot of species in a lot of places.
Yes definitely Ky. Providing the water makes a huge difference. I was driving through a National Park well into the outback, it was an old sheep station so still had the big earth tanks but windmills were decommissioned, they held water most of the time. We would drive for many kilometers and not see any wildlife then suddenly you start seeing birds very active and kangaroos and emus then within a couple of kilometers sure enough an old windmill and an earth tank and again the other side the wildlife disappears until another tank and windmill in the distance. They have become very dependent on this water that is laid on.

Ken

Is there a reason for killing turtles? Are they doing something to you or your livestock to warrant being killed? We need to protect all the reptiles and amphibians we have because they are in decline. I can now see why turtles are declining. If there is no sensible reason for killing wildlife, we should protect everything we can. If all the wildlife go extinct, so will humans.

Nah, that is from global warming ...er I'm mean Climate Change. ;)

What kind of trap you use?
something I found on craigslist. it is about the size of two 5 gallon buckets set end to end with a small opening on one end. I no longer have it or I would take a pic and send it.

something I found on craigslist. it is about the size of two 5 gallon buckets set end to end with a small opening on one end. I no longer have it or I would take a pic and send it.

Sounds kind of like the turtle traps ive seen that are made with hoops. I e also seen some that are like a cage as well.

Sounds kind of like the turtle traps ive seen that are made with hoops. I e also seen some that are like a cage as well.
I searched google to get a pic but no luck. just a round frame made of wire about the diameter of cattle panel rod with chicken wire around it. about a 3 inch opening on one end that I wondered how a big turtle could get in there, but I did catch a few big turtles. used chicken liver for bait.

They kill the fish in the pond.
any fish that can't outswim a turtle deserves to die.

Having said that, I had a huge population of all kinds of turtles in my pond about 10 years ago. They ate up almost all the fish food I supplied for the catfish (that high protein feed is not cheap) and you couldn't fish for all the bait you would lose to the shellbacks. One day, I had enough of it, and went down that evening late with a headlamp, shotgun and rifle and plenty of ammo, threw out some catfish pellets and The Great Turtle Massacre began. They were scampering to get out of the water and into the reeds, some swimming in little circles because they had a leg missing on one side.
El Degguelo should have been playing in the background. I was merciless & showed them no quarter. Big ones, little ones, the old and young alike. Death from above.
Some sank, some floated but 2 days later, they were all afloat and the smell of death and decay was deep and strong as I rowed around dipping them out with my net, as the catfish applauded silently in their aquatic underworld.

any fish that can't outswim a turtle deserves to die.

Having said that, I had a huge population of all kinds of turtles in my pond about 10 years ago. They ate up almost all the fish food I supplied for the catfish (that high protein feed is not cheap) and you couldn't fish for all the bait you would lose to the shellbacks. One day, I had enough of it, and went down that evening late with a headlamp, shotgun and rifle and plenty of ammo, threw out some catfish pellets and The Great Turtle Massacre began. They were scampering to get out of the water and into the reeds, some swimming in little circles because they had a leg missing on one side.
El Degguelo should have been playing in the background. I was merciless & showed them no quarter. Big ones, little ones, the old and young alike. Death from above.
Some sank, some floated but 2 days later, they were all afloat and the smell of death and decay was deep and strong as I rowed around dipping them out with my net, as the catfish applauded silently in their aquatic underworld.
I have read about "The Great Turtle Massacre" of Clevland, Texas. it is legendary. Aren't they building a museum or making a movie about it? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

BTW, cheap high protein dog food works almost as well as the expensive catfish food. We had a pond dedicated to catfish, but pond meal took it over.

I have read about "The Great Turtle Massacre" of Clevland, Texas. it is legendary. Aren't they building a museum or making a movie about it? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

BTW, cheap high protein dog food works almost as well as the expensive catfish food. We had a pond dedicated to catfish, but pond meal took it over.
Yes, but you'll want to stop the dog feed a couple months early and finish them on the fish feed. If you don't, your kids will be born naked, pizz on fire hydrants, eat sh!t and bark at the moon.

1. Ol Roy don't float.
2. Cheap dog food comes apart when it gets wet and turns to an emulsified mess.
3. Cheap dog food probably caused the pond meal.
4. Dogfood makes the fish want to spend their times trying to lick their genital areas.
5. You should be using cat food anyway for catfish.

Latest posts