So tiny! Why?

Help Support CattleToday:

Love those black rings around his eyes ! Have12o the ground out of my two black bulls and my son's Hereford momma's. 7 out of our Angus heifer bull . All mottleface, the next 5 out of a different angus bull , all baldies with solid white faces and all but 1 with black rings around their eyes . Bad thing ; only 3 heifers , the rest bill payers .

Love those black rings around his eyes ! Have12o the ground out of my two black bulls and my son's Hereford momma's. 7 out of our Angus heifer bull . All mottleface, the next 5 out of a different angus bull , all baldies with solid white faces and all but 1 with black rings around their eyes . Bad thing ; only 3 heifers , the rest bill payers .
I have a few with the black rings but rarely does it pass on to their calves.

Bump!

Is he bigger'n his mama yet?

O yeah! Hows his bite? Eating grass ok?
I'm horrible - I haven't taken a pic of him in months. Soooo NOT bigger than his mama. He's still just a little dink, but keeping up with the other calves and I'm weaning him with the rest of them next week. At least he's a hand feeder and seeks me out for extra cubes, so he'll be fine. Mama looks considerably better, but I'm still selling her at weaning.

His (not) underbite is pretty perfect and he's a nursing, grazing, eating machine;).

Pics on my to-do list!

I'm horrible - I haven't taken a pic of him in months. Soooo NOT bigger than his mama. He's still just a little dink, but keeping up with the other calves and I'm weaning him with the rest of them next week. At least he's a hand feeder and seeks me out for extra cubes, so he'll be fine. Mama looks considerably better, but I'm still selling her at weaning.

His (not) underbite is pretty perfect and he's a nursing, grazing, eating machine;).

Pics on my to-do list!
Shame shame tcranch! Shame shame!
😂🤣😂
I hear lil low birthweight bulls like that are bringing as much as 800 dollars on craigs!
Tho I bet hes a bit bigger than the last one I saw at 17 months!

Glad to hear he and mama done a job for you tho! Look forward to seeing them later...

I'm glad ya still got em btw. I was afraid we all missed out on pictures!!

I hear lil low birthweight bulls like that are bringing as much as 800 dollars on craigs!
Bringing or that the asking price?

TCRanch's calves, even a dink will likely have way better genetics than 95% of what is on CL.

TCRanch, what kind of forage is that in the most recent pics?
(I've never been closer to Kansas than extreme SW Oklahoma)

TCRanch's calves, even a dink will likely have way better genetics than 95% of what is on CL.

Lol. Sorry.
It was a carryover from another thread...
Just a bit of odd humour

Pasture looks similar to around here. Mostly native grasses. Prairie grasses.
Around here it's a mix of Johnson, Bermuda, blue stem, rye grasses etc. As well as others I'm forgetting. O. Crab grass. Hen bit. Cheat grass.

Let's see what @TCRanch has to say. I've not been to kansas in a MINUTE

@MurraysMutts nailed it. Mostly prairie, native - and junk with a lot of weeds. They've cleaned up all the johnsongrass & bermuda. We plant brome & alfalfa for bales but probably going to tear up the alfalfa.

And thanks! Already have my breeder picking out my next bull to replace Johnson.

Thanks..looks like they are doing well on your native stuff and 'junk with weeds'. Not all that different from our E. Texas native grasses except you're missing our Bahia.

Outside of looking a little thin (and maybe that's just the picture), he looks fine to me.
Does his momma give enough milk?
He's a survivor, gotta give him that!

Outside of looking a little thin (and maybe that's just the picture), he looks fine to me.
Does his momma give enough milk?
He's a survivor, gotta give him that!
I see him with "milk face" all the time, so she's definitely producing. The question is, quantity vs. quality? Didn't get un updated pic today (hello, rain!!) but he's filled out considerably over the past 3 months.

@MurraysMutts steered in May. Saddle? Umm, I think I can still straddle him - although I do have freakishly long legs.

Got another one of him & a pic of mama this afternoon. I think she still looks pretty thin. At least compared to the rest of my herd. Super sweet cow, but I am selling her at weaning.IMG_20211003_155642733.jpgIMG_20211003_155719776.jpg

She does look a bit gant huh?
Did she retain placenta?
Interesting...

I had one got really bad on me couple years ago. She retained for a while. I think she got sick from it. Then she quit making milk. Down the road she went... sold her calf as a bottle baby.

Either way. She done a good job.

Latest posts