Some form of Mastitis?

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
So noticed a three year old today that has a two month old calf on her with a tennis ball sized lump high in her rear quarter. There is no milk in the quarter that I could get out but she doesnt have much anyway unfortunately. It is not hot or hurt her in any way. I am around them everyday so its not like there was a problem that went untreated like mastitis as I have seen that before. I dont know what it could be cause if it was an infection it would be hot, hurt, change in attitude her some way. Any thoughts?

Not an easy one to answer - try google image for staph aureus, it causes lumps in the udder that often appear when there are no apparent changes in the milk.
If it was a lump associated with an extra teat it would always have been there (though extra teats can get infections the same as the regular ones).
So it *may* be mastitis, though if it isn't hurting her I'd leave it alone till it is causing problems.
I have a few cows on this farm that have developed odd lumps (like edema) with no sign of mastitis, the lumps are lasting for months at a time then gradually fading.

So checked her again today and it does seem a little bigger. Tried looking under her and it may be an abscess. Softer on the bottom of the hard ball. Teat is set more in front of the ball. Its not like the teat is under the mass. The bottom is darker than the rest. I got Pen G and nuflor. Gotta get something in her tomorrow. Still doesnt bother her at all when you touch it. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow when I get her in the chute.

Ok so checked her today it was an abscess cause it burst all over her leg. Got her in the chute, squeezed out all the puss, flushed it with iodine and gave her some ceftiflex cause we had some frozen that I wanted to get rid of. She will get two more does over the next two days. Diditn seem like it had anything to do with the udder or teat. We will see.

Latest posts