Something to ponder?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if you have to pull a calf from a heifer or a mature cow, considering everything is normal with the presentation of the calf, do you all keep these cows or heifers after they raise a hopefully live calf or sell them off cause you had to pull the calf? And if they have a heifer calf would you keep them for replacements considering that they make your final cut. Just food for thought and debate!!!!!!!! I have done both in years past. Just what do you do or think about this?

If it's a really hard pull on a heifer, we usually sell her. On a cow we wait to see if she cycles. On medium pulls, we keep them.

We keep the cows that we have pulled calves out of before. Sometimes it is a fluky thing or the shoulders get stuck or they hip lock.
have kept daughters out of cows that we had to pull calves out of and had no trouble with them.

Kind of sorta depends. We pulled a 110 lb calf from a heifer and kept the cow. She calved 3 more times with 80 lb plus calves without a hiccup. Didn;t have to pull a calf from one heifer and shipped her. Like so many things in this busieness there is no dead bang certain things excpet you know a cow is ready to calve when you see the feet and there is no value in a dead calf/cow/bull

Many times it's the bull's fault. But, if you go inside the heifer/cow & she doesn't have adequate pelvic space, then yes, she is a candidate for hamburg. And if she gave you a heifer, I would do a pelvic exam prior to breeding on the daughter.

i have been pondering the same thing i had a heifer that i had to pull her first calf, a bull, out of a proven heifer bull only calf i ever had to pull from him in 4 years. she had a heifer the 2nd calf and she is in the replacemant group, i am going to breed her for fall 2011 she will be 28 - 30 months old when she calves. i have wondered how that will work, if i should sell her this spring.

Wick":2j1zzs4e said:
Just wanting to know if you have to pull a calf from a heifer or a mature cow, considering everything is normal with the presentation of the calf, do you all keep these cows or heifers after they raise a hopefully live calf or sell them off cause you had to pull the calf?

Generally speaking, having to pull a calf that is not malpresented is an error on the part of the owner - in other words, mismanagement. It is usually caused by breeding her to a bull that throws calves that are too big, breeding her too young, keeping a heifer that does not grow out properly, or feeding her incorrectly in the last trimester. Of course the dam is not penalized for our mistake.

And if they have a heifer calf would you keep them for replacements considering that they make your final cut.

If they fit into my parameters, of course I would keep the heifer as a replacement.

Fall before last, we pulled either 12 or 13 calves out of around 75 cows. This year we pulled two out of the same groups, one leg back and one fluke. Same cows, same bulls, same pastures. Same everything except the weather. Last year the rainfall and forage growth was normal, if there is such a thing. The year before we had a terribly dry summer and then we got some significant rainfall in September. My theory is all of the grass that had lain dormant during the drought period took off in leaps and bounds, plus it was more concentrated than normal. The cows gorged themselves on this grass in October and after. We started calving November 15 and it was interesting to say the least. Calves were huge, a good 10-15 lbs heavier on average than this year. We had either 7 or 8 calves over 100 lbs.

Don't penalize a heifer because she required assisstance the first time, if she has'nt been injured. Sell her if she is dry because she is worth decent money as a feedlot heifferete and there is always more to replace her. If she raises a calf and breeds back give her a chance,most times you will never even notice her at the next calving.

Latest posts