Speaking of a touch of ear...

Help Support CattleToday:

I do get rid of cows that get out for no reason. I don't see the scense in getting rid of one that's a little goofy in the pen or snorty when you get too close. I own a few that'll go in the trap with a bucket but the bulk of them know better.

Your doing something right @branxchar&charx

Even Caustic likes em!!

Are they bred?
What's the story?
Agreed, doing something right if CB gives his stamp of approval!
Not bred but a couple definitely are cycling. They are about 14-15 months old. Got them from a ranch in El Reno. Can usually see them right on i40, the ones for sale anyway. Trying to decide if i should wait on a bull but then they'll calve in middle of summer. I already split them into two groups. Mainly to help w hay as one place im already feeding it on the regular.
Nice looking set. What kinda bull you gonna use?
I was thinking BA or hereford first go around, then, of course, Beefcake gets em (charolais lol)
I'd cut the two on the right loose. I'm betting the three on the right in the first pic are the ones with attitude. Why is it always the pretty one that has the worst intentions? She looks like she'd love to tangle and she doesn't even have a calf to protect.
Winner! you are exactly right on the flightiest ones. They did come up to the truck when i checked on em early this morning.
0728220743c.jpg
0808220554a.jpg

It is a big old world and I am well aware of that. Those kind work in your neighborhood. Here you could count on 50% less for the eared calves. Good luck with them. I hope they work well for you.
Thank you. Seems if the calves are about a 1/4 ear the dock isnt as severe as full eared cattle.
I like the R&W.
I can actually pet her! Shes a cutie. And just for fun, i am going to post a couple action shots in the first few days, this was me just standing in the pen. Kept em penned up for 3 weeks.
0731221545a_HDR.jpg
0729221844a_HDR.jpg
Screenshots_2022-08-08-10-46-30.png
0728220740b_HDR.jpg

This comment made me wonder....!
🤣

I probly read too much into it
If i had the money and room, i would take CBs too. @Caustic Burno is obviously very well versed in the F1 tigers/chocolates, hereford/brahman. I think i am paraphrasing him here (old msgs on this board), you can't play cowboy with these types. You have to lead them. Another quote i liked was "they have one owner and they know it."

I don't want to be negative but I highly doubt they calm down.

Is the Choc the ring leader? If so she has to go right now to have any chance of saving the other 2.

From looking at the pics, the choc and yellow stipes need to go. The Tiger might be salvageable but every day they are together makes it less and less likely.

I'll tell you why I quit messing with those flighty ones. Nothing pisses me off more than a good cow throwing a nice heifer and then that heifer getting mixed up with cows like that and getting ruined. Plus, they will bring several hundred dollars less when they get sold as cows later in life if they go through the ring fighting every thing. When you start adding up time, facilities, ruining other animals, deductions on salvage, etc... they don't pay IME.

I don't want to be negative but I highly doubt they calm down.

Is the Choc the ring leader? If so she has to go right now to have any chance of saving the other 2.

From looking at the pics, the choc and yellow stipes need to go. The Tiger might be salvageable but every day they are together makes it less and less likely.

I'll tell you why I quit messing with those flighty ones. Nothing pisses me off more than a good cow throwing a nice heifer and then that heifer getting mixed up with cows like that and getting ruined. Plus, they will bring several hundred dollars less when they get sold as cows later in life if they go through the ring fighting every thing. When you start adding up time, facilities, ruining other animals, deductions on salvage, etc... they don't pay IME.
Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion.
Those "action shots" were taken the first couple days i had them. Penned for 3 weeks where they settled enough i was comfortable to move them. Of the 7 (3 chocolates, 2 tigers, 1 orange brockle face, & 1 RWF), the absolute worse was the orange brockle face. The tiger next to her is her constant shadow. The long face chocolate is the calmest of the three, she has the best chance of staying long term of the 3. The other bwf jumping over the feedbunk has settled down more the other 3. As i mentioned in my original post, i may come to regret it.
As of today, they all come to feed without going nutz.
0731221545_HDR.jpg

Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion.
Those "action shots" were taken the first couple days i had them. Penned for 3 weeks where they settled enough i was comfortable to move them. Of the 7 (3 chocolates, 2 tigers, 1 orange brockle face, & 1 RWF), the absolute worse was the orange brockle face. The tiger next to her is her constant shadow. The long face chocolate is the calmest of the three, she has the best chance of staying long term of the 3. The other bwf jumping over the feedbunk has settled down more the other 3. As i mentioned in my original post, i may come to regret it.
As of today, they all come to feed without going nutz.
View attachment 19957
I had her picked out from jump to watch.
She had the look at the trough.
That one will blow her nose in your back pocket with a slight push. Some just can't get over flight mode.

I had her picked out from jump to watch.
She had the look at the trough.
That one will blow her nose in your back pocket with a slight push. Some just can't get over flight mode.
We picked up 3 Brahma yearling heifers last September that acted like deer. They spent 60 days in the pen this last 2 months getting AI and testing. Out in the pasture now 2 will eat out of your hand or stick heads in the mule. Last one still nuts. She was a terror in the pen, you always kept a panel between her and you and would bite hell out of you if you walked in front of the Shute. To late to sell her now with the the number of cows hitting the sale barn so we'll let her run the winter and sell heavy bred in the spring. Can't wait to get a pic of her in a trailer

We picked up 3 Brahma yearling heifers last September that acted like deer. They spent 60 days in the pen this last 2 months getting AI and testing. Out in the pasture now 2 will eat out of your hand or stick heads in the mule. Last one still nuts. She was a terror in the pen, you always kept a panel between her and you and would bite hell out of you if you walked in front of the Shute. To late to sell her now with the the number of cows hitting the sale barn so we'll let her run the winter and sell heavy bred in the spring. Can't wait to get a pic of her in a trailer
Every cattleman should of had the opportunity to attend the Winnie Auction once in life.
It's closed now, back in the day they would bring them Brimmer s out of the Salt grass.
Some it was the first human they had ever seen. They were very athletic as well part carnivore.

It's never too late to sell that kind.

Every cattleman should of had the opportunity to attend the Winnie Auction once in life.
It's closed now, back in the day they would bring them Brimmer s out of the Salt grass.
Some it was the first human they had ever seen. They were very athletic as well part carnivore.
Lol maybe I got a throwback to those times! Let AI gal say don't have her in the lot next year. I assured her she would be wearing roller skates before breeding season. I've just never had good luck with cattle out of Decatur sale barn

Latest posts