Sprayer project

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
20190318-142534.jpg

Picked up this little number for free. 360 gallon +/-. Tank still appears solid.
Going to run the sprayer off a pto pump. Run a valve/strainer combo off the bottom, up into a TeeJet Direct O Valve and a TeeJet regulator/relief valve output to a Hamilton #20 boomless nozzle. Any advice or recommendations always appreciated.
This will be simply a pasture sprayer, so i will not put a spray wand on this unit for fenceline or spot spraying.

Be careful with that rig it has a tendency to tilt backward. Make sure it is always empty when unhooked from tractor.

bball said:
Going to run the sprayer off a pto pump. Run a valve/strainer combo off the bottom, up into a TeeJet Direct O Valve and a TeeJet regulator/relief valve output to a Hamilton #20 boomless nozzle. Any advice or recommendations always appreciated.
Hopefully you mean you will run it from strainer to the pump, then from pump, up to the controls...
I use a manual selector but I have my home built sprayer plumbed into the regulator ahead of the selector valve.
There will be times, when the selector is changing flow paths, that you can dead head the pump, especially if a valve or solenoid hangs up, so I wanted mine to have path first to the regulator so it can relieve instead of blowing off a pressure line from the pump.

Forgive my chicken scratch. Hopefully, this makes sense:

20190319-191220.jpg

Edit to add: it essentially mirrors the basic FIMCO flow pattern

I guess as long as nothing goes wrong with the selectovalves and the spray nozzle never clogs, it will be fine.
Even my manual selector valve was over $100 5-6 years ago and I don't like unregulated pressure on that valve.

Every sprayer I ever saw was like this, except for the added output side strainer and my agitator line is between the regulator and select valve:

(evidently they don't use a pressure relief regulator on centrifugal pumps)

Free? Can't beat that! As long as you don't get too rough and snatch the tongue out I think she will serve you well!

Mine is rigged like this. Strainer under tank, to pump, to selector valve, to nozzles. I think that's right anyway.

Edited to add: with foam markers. Before that, it was a guessing game.

Looks right. valve/strainer/pump/selector va./nozzels.

Here are a few things I did. I think I did a build thread on this. Might search my username.

Secure the strainer and valve to a piece of pipe welded to frame.

Nozzels are adjustable (on a plate).

An orchard wand is easy to plumb in (fitting on rt. of vavle). Come in handy on occasion.

greybeard said:
I guess as long as nothing goes wrong with the selectovalves and the spray nozzle never clogs, it will be fine.

I follow what you're driving at. I believe, in my drawing, the worst case scenario is the direct o valve failing and stopping flow to the relief valve. A plugged nozzle shouldn't cause any problems if the direct o valve is functioning(open) because the relief would still work. I am wondering now why Fimco would plumb them up this way; direct o valve first and then relief valve???

greybeard said:
I dunno......does Fimco make & sell Directovalves or replacement parts for them?......

No. It's TeeJet. They make the relief and direct o valve.

Brute 23 said:
Why do you need the O-valve? Will it operate more than one nozzle?

That nozzle does not cover much ground. Not sure how big an area you are covering but that will be slow going.

Was going with one nozzle but wanted to have the option of adding more if necessary.

The specs say it will cover almost 11 gallons per acre at 40 psi and 5 mph. 54' swath. I would certainly consider a better option that covers more ground per pass.

When I want a lot of volume per acre, I use this TeeJet cluster nozzle:
https://www.shoupparts.com/501796-BoomJet-Nozzle

bball said:
20190318-142534.jpg

Picked up this little number for free. 360 gallon +/-. Tank still appears solid.
This will be simply a pasture sprayer, so i will not put a spray wand on this unit for fenceline or spot spraying.

You paid to much... ;-)

Any of you that built your own assembly, did you put in a tank agitator/mixer?

Brute 23 said:
greybeard said:
When I want a lot of volume per acre, I use this TeeJet cluster nozzle:
https://www.shoupparts.com/501796-BoomJet-Nozzle

That is the one. My kill rate is very high with it and you can cover quite a bit more ground. There are better charts around on the enet for the GPA and speed.

Ordering one tonight. Thanks

bball said:
Any of you that built your own assembly, did you put in a tank agitator/mixer?

I have a line that comes off between the pump and the pressure gauge plumbed back to tank with a cutoff that I use to regulate the pressure. When the selector valve is closed it serves as an agitator. Also agitates some when spraying because I never need full flow to reach desired pressure setting. I can't remember exactly how it's plumbed but I think that's right. I will look tomorrow and correct if I'm wrong.

Latest posts