Springtime in The Rockies

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
It has now been snowing pretty steady for 36 hours here. Went to bed with 3in of snow.

4AM we were at 6 in

7:30 12in

We are now at 18in of heavy wet cement like snow and it is still coming down.

Supposed to let up a little this afternoon and then snow thru tomorrow. Looks like we have some serious drought relief going here. Our snowpack was down to 88% of normal on Monday. It is most likely at 110% of normal right now and still piling up.

Thank you Lord.

please keep that snow out there thought im still feeding hay and it hasn't snowed in months. I am glad you got the moisture you needed.

The relief is nice you could send back our way, I don't think our mountains recieved much or any snow when the weather your getting rolled through here. Mid 70's and sunny today through the first part of next week, I'll whine later.

Our snow melted a few days ago. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

We've been getting the liquid kind though. If it were colder I'm sure we'd have several feet on the ground right now. My yard is the prettiest I've seen it in some time.

Snow would be a disaster here but I'd still take it. I'm really glad I was so empathetic to all of you southerners when you were in your drought because I'd really hate to think I deserve what I'm dealing with now.
And to think, I'm old enough that I can remember when people complained about to much precipitation or when it didn't fit their schedule...

Pics ?? I bet that mountain behind you is beautiful all covered with spring snow.

I am glad you are getting some very much needed drought relief but it can't be easy on the calves that have been booted out to pasture now though.

cow pollinater":36d9uw96 said:
Snow would be a disaster here but I'd still take it. I'm really glad I was so empathetic to all of you southerners when you were in your drought because I'd really hate to think I deserve what I'm dealing with now.
And to think, I'm old enough that I can remember when people complained about to much precipitation or when it didn't fit their schedule...

It sounds like ya'll are where we were a few years ago with our drought. It was terrible and I promised myself I'd never bytch about rain again. I've kept that promise thus far even though I have plenty to complain about but there is nothing I know of that can make you feel so helpless as a major drought. I remember walking across crunchy parched pastures just shaking my head in disbelief. It wore on me to the extent I was almost to the point of believing in global warming till I asked an old cattleman if he had ever seen it so dry in his life. He just chuckled and said he had. He said in 1954 (?) it got so dry the river didn't have a drop of water in it and you could walk across the bed without getting your feet wet. With my drought it was only ankle deep but the lowest I'd ever seen it yet he had seen it bone dry twice in his life. After hearing that I again felt comfortable cursing Gore.

3waycross":1n117ky0 said:
It has now been snowing pretty steady for 36 hours here. Went to bed with 3in of snow.

4AM we were at 6 in

7:30 12in

We are now at 18in of heavy wet cement like snow and it is still coming down.

Supposed to let up a little this afternoon and then snow thru tomorrow. Looks like we have some serious drought relief going here. Our snowpack was down to 88% of normal on Monday. It is most likely at 110% of normal right now and still piling up.

Thank you Lord.

My goodness.

OK so here's the silver lining to the snowstorm. I was helping my buddy feed and I said man I saw a lot of prairie dogs on the snow on the way here , he says yea I think the snow is smothering them in their holes so they are digging out and staying on top. Well we finish feeding his cows and grab the 22 magnums. We shot about 50 dogs in an hour. It was a blast. Everyone with 2 miles of us was destroying dogs that they would never see otherwise. There will be a lot less prairie dog damage this year than there has been with the carnage today.

It quit snowing around 11AM and the snow settled to about 14 inches. It will be like concrete to walk on in the morning.

Near 70 degrees here today, 3way, and no "dogs" in sight. But, we really don't have them here! We have voles and moles and other such diggers/burrowers, which include squirrels and marmots.

Jogeephus":3dl2nbgf said:
cow pollinater":3dl2nbgf said:

It sounds like ya'll are where we were a few years ago with our drought. It was terrible and I promised myself I'd never bytch about rain again. I've kept that promise thus far even though I have plenty to complain about but there is nothing I know of that can make you feel so helpless as a major drought. I remember walking across crunchy parched pastures just shaking my head in disbelief. It wore on me to the extent I was almost to the point of believing in global warming till I asked an old cattleman if he had ever seen it so dry in his life. He just chuckled and said he had. He said in 1954 (?) it got so dry the river didn't have a drop of water in it and you could walk across the bed without getting your feet wet. With my drought it was only ankle deep but the lowest I'd ever seen it yet he had seen it bone dry twice in his life. After hearing that I again felt comfortable cursing Gore.
I asked my neighbor(in his sixties) when the last time was that it had been this dry. He said " '74 was really bad but not quite this bad I'll ask Clarence". Clarence is in his upper seventies. Clarence called me and said "74 was really bad but not this bad... I'll call Earl." Earl is in his mid eighties and when he called me he said he'd never seen it this bad except for '74 and we talked about every year off goofy weather he'd seen for an hour. :lol:
This to shall pass.

Glad, your getting some relief. Hadn't rained since deep in the fall here, and we've got 5 1/2 inches in past couple weeks. If given a choice, I prefer moisture in the liquid form to the solid you're getting.

Jo, grandad before he passed told me the droughts in the 50's, I think 53 and 54 was worse than the dust bowl era.

The other grandad told me that a few years in the 40's had the most rain he thought in his lifetime. The river he was raised on cut swathes out of the bank 1/2 mile wider than any time previous. They had one of the first steam engine tractors in the area. Lost it cause they couldn't get it started.

Commercialfarmer":wliwca4y said:
Jo, grandad before he passed told me the droughts in the 50's, I think 53 and 54 was worse than the dust bowl era.

I think its interesting and important to hear stories like this so we can keep things in perspective and not be like Chicken Little and fall into the trap set by the fear mongerers.

As far back as I can remember, I have heard people talk about the drought of 1954 in GA.

Just a reminder--------July 5, 2011.
chart.gif

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/drought/
In 2011, Texas endured the worst single-year drought in its history. Avg rainfall statewide Jan-Oct 2011was 11"--less than 1/2 the normal-by year's end, that average had only increased to 14.8 inches
Use the slider on the map at the above link to see the drought happen month by month, and observe as it moved Eastward into Jogeephus country.

6,767 high temperature records were set in Texas from Jan. 2011 to Feb. 2012.

Beware of a strong LaNina--one preceded the 2011 drought.

Latest posts