Storing Corn Screenings ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
What is an economical way to seasonally store corn screenings and still minimize shrink? Ideally it would be stored for up to 4 months. I would build a commodity shed but I only need it in the fall...

I have seen it dumped into existing open front sheds, and dumped in a outdoor pile with round bales around several sides. Would buying cheap gravity boxes work better?

Once upon a time....Dad rolled felt paper on the ground in a brooder house that wasn't used in the fall and winter. Nailed corrugated tin up the walls a couple feet to hold more. Had a couple 4 inch augers to get it back out but was still a lot of shoveling. Really wasn't a whole lot of waste.

We feed a lot of corn screenings. Any overflow that doesn't fit in the commodities shed gets put in a pile, generally on a good, solid pad of white rock base and lime on top. It will crust over and only the outside 6-8" will spoil. We stockpile and clean it up with a payloader. The crust just gets blended off with the rest of the screenings. Fat cattle never notice. I probably wouldn't worry about the round bales if you can get around all sides of the pile with whatever loader you'd be using.

How big is the pile? A silage tarp and some old tires is cheaper than gravity boxes.

Latest posts