Strawberry Jam

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
With spring approaching and berry season upon us, I thought I'd share a good foolproof strawberry jam recipe for those who may have had trouble making strawberry jam before and prefer not to buy a lot of additives.

Decap strawberries and weigh them.

To the net weight of the strawberries measure 75% cane sugar. This is less sugar than many recipes call for which can be problematic in making jam but by adding less sugar you will enhance the strawberry flavor and the jam won't taste like strawberry flavored sugar. The drawback is your yield will suffer and with less sugar its harder to for the jam to set. But if flavor and a high quality jam is more important than volume then I think you will be pleased with this recipe.

Next, cover the strawberries in sugar and let them macerate for a couple hours. This will draw out the moisture. The time required will depend greatly on how finely you have chopped the berries but you will know when they are ready because they will look soup like with plenty of moisture with berries floating in it.

To remedy the jelling problem, for every 2-3 lbs of strawberries chop up three tart apples and one lemon and place in a pot and add about a cup of water and cover and bring to boil then simmer covered till the apples are mushy. The consistency of apple sauce.

Run the apples/lemon through a food mill or press through a sieve to extract the apple sauce looking stuff. This is your pectin and is needed since strawberries have very little pectin and since are working with reduced sugar.

Next, combine all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. You can press the berries down as it boils or what is safer is to simply run the berries through a food processor prior to adding to the pot.

Boil this mixture uncovered, stirring regularly till the solution reaches 220F, As you are boiling a white froth will form on the top. This froth won't hurt the jam but it does make for unsightly jam so skim this off as you are boiling and stirring. You'll have plenty of time to do this. Another method is to add a pat or two of butter in the beginning and this will stop this from happening. This will work but it will also negatively affect the shelf life of the jam so I don't do this but then again this jam probably won't stay on the shelf long anyway.

The solution will not reach 220F until enough water has been removed to jell properly. As soon as it reaches 220F or it passes the Moses Test remove from heat and add to jars and can using a water bath for 10 minutes - 5 minutes if you are using sterilized jars.

Using this method will insure a good jam set while it will still be creamy and spreadable. The flavor is spot on where you taste the strawberries and not just strawberry flavored sugar. The only drawback is you won't get the yield like some of the other recipes. But if flavor and quality is your priority then I think you will like this. Besides, Walmart sells the sugary stuff if you prefer.

2xmH2mK.jpg

My wife made some that didn't set....best darned strawberry syrup EVER.... :D loved it on pancakes. Worked good on Bluebell ice cream too. :nod:

I know my wife uses lemon juice in hers and has cut the sugar down but not sure to what rate. All the jams she makes are boiled in a pot except strawberry which she makes in the. Microwave for some reason, will have to ask her why. I'm the chief taste tester.

Redgully said:
I know my wife uses lemon juice in hers and has cut the sugar down but not sure to what rate. All the jams she makes are boiled in a pot except strawberry which she makes in the. Microwave for some reason, will have to ask her why. I'm the chief taste tester.

Lemon juice is good in jam. It contains little to no pectin but reducing the pH neutralizes the negative charges found on some of the pectin molecules which allows them to assemble into strands thus allowing them to set the jam. Basically making the most out of what you have. Also lowering the pH aids in preserving the jelly and keeping any molds at bay. You may have seen a forgotten opened jar of jelly with some mold on top - the lemon juice should keep this from happening.

kenny thomas said:
Let's hear the recipe to make it clear.

That's easy enough. To your fermentation barrel add water then add 20% jam by weight then go out to your fertilizer buggy and grab a handful or so of DAP and toss in the barrel and stir well. Once mixed well toss an alcohol tolerant yeast like Montrachet in the barrel and sit back and wait till you start seeing dog heads which should form in about a week in this weather. When you see them syphon to your kettle and simmer to clear and enjoy.

Carpenter2n said:
could you explain the moses test please

What you do is take a plate and put it in the fridge and keep it there till its good and cold. I do this when I start the boil. Once the temperature is getting up past 210F by your thermometer you can take a small spoonful of the jam and smear it on the plate. The cold plate will cool it quickly so you can run your finger through the jam. Moses parting the water. If the jam stays separated then it means the jam will set. If it runs back into the gap your finger made then its still has too much water.

I use this test along with a thermometer because a lot of the thermometers you buy are not accurate so its best to have a check. I found the candy thermometer I was using was off by 10 degrees on the low side. Moses test said it was done but the thermometer said otherwise. I tested with another thermometer and found the other one was wrong. With practice you won't need a thermometer.

Latest posts