Tetanus question?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen some of the same studies she mentions and they measure a chemical or something that shows the stress. In knife cut it lasts 2-3 days and with a band it lasts for up to a few weeks.
makes sense if you think about it, for sure. my gut has said cutting was easier, but when we started trying it and I looked around the studies/reports I found were just about weight gain and said no difference. we never gave tetanus back when we cut everything either so it adds a little labor and more cost - those bands add up and the shots aren't real expensive, but still more than nothing.

It takes checking them every day. For years I got almost every one. Retired this winter and missed 2 of 3. Gone too much
I'm on western range and we run around 10 cows to a section. pastures are mainly 2 to 5 sections, some of it pretty rough. I am lucky if I actually see every single cow more than a couple times a year. I dream of tighter management, and it has improved but it is slower going than I thought it would be. Lots of set backs, but we hang on.

I'm on western range and we run around 10 cows to a section. pastures are mainly 2 to 5 sections, some of it pretty rough. I am lucky if I actually see every single cow more than a couple times a year. I dream of tighter management, and it has improved but it is slower going than I thought it would be. Lots of set backs, but we hang on.
So different than here. For the last 2 weeks I have had 40 cows on 6 acres of stockpile grass. They have enough for another 4-5 days. Pretty easy to find one that's calving.

How many acres of the stock pile does it take to get you through the winter?
Don't have enough to make it all winter so can't say. But I have enough for 3 more weeks at least. Had 40 cows plus 22 calves and so far have used about 16 acres since December 20th. About 6 acres still to graze. Been traveling so much I haven't done the strip as small as I like or I could have gotten a couple more days out of it.

I think you're probably OK on that calf. But if you wanted to stick some antitoxin in him, it wouldn't hurt... and less costly than losing one.
I've seen some real wrecks where folks banded and gave an initial dose of Covexin-8 or Cavalry-9, hoping that the calves would develop some immunity before toxin production started... and they lost the bet.

I've seen two cases of tetanus in my own herd, before I started using a Clostridial bacterin/toxoid containing tetanus... in a 400 lb bull that I, personally, knife-cut (first case I ever saw!), and in a 3 month old heifer that we never found a noticeable wound.
Every other bovine case of tetanus I ever saw was associated with banding... either the green Cheerio on baby calves, or the bigger stuff on 7+ wts.

How many acres of the stock pile does it take to get you through the winter?
A little over an acre per pair. Been no-hay for years except in a drought. But we strip graze and started 40+/- years ago when strip grazing wasn't cool. Calve in January ad we lose 30 days of grazing compared to calving in February. All about cattle demand due to energy needs.

I'm sure there's a thread on here about this issue but i like posting to start new! I recently banded some 5 weights. They were given covexin 8 then given the second round 21 days later.. timeframe between 2nd shot and banding was roughly 3-31/2 weeks. One of the boys was pretty well endowed compared to the others.. being said it's 2 days after and he still moving slower than the rest. He's doing a lot of stretching out and laying down/back up frequently. He has a stiff walk which sparked my thoughts of it could be tetanus. I've always knife cut and sent em on to grow. Never banded this many at once. So any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. If I need to calm down you can tell me that to lol!!! Thanks in advance
I was just discussing this with a vet the other day.
What bander did you use? I've never had more than at most a day or two of lameness banding 5 and 6 weights, usually only hours. I only use a calicrate. The tension of the band is quite critical and I've not seen one as precise as calicrate.

@Lucky_P - the banding "baby calves" concerns me. Are you talking like 2-3 month old calves?
I band at birth (occasionally up to 2 months old). There is no way to pre-vaccinate. I was always under the impression that it was 'fairly" safe without vaccinating at birth. Been doing it for 9 years. Should I be counting my blessings?

Yes, Jeanne, I mean BABY calves, not 2-3 month olds.
Granted, there have been millions of green Cheerios applied with no problems, but I've seen a number of tetanus cases in calves banded shortly after birth.
Vaccinating the dam with a tetanus toxoid-containing bacterin/toxoid would, theoretically, pass along anti-tetanus antibodies in colostrum; if she'd been properly vaccinated as a calf, you could just booster every year or three, 8 weeks or more prior to calving, in order to stimulate a good level of colostral antibodies against tetanus. If not vaccinated as a calf, she'd need the appropriate two doses, with the last one at least 8 wks pre-calving.
Or, you could give a dose of tetanus antitoxin to the calf at the time of band application
Unless you just want to 'roll the dice'.

I think the green cheerio bands are a big part of the problem. They get old and when stretched out loose their elasticity and don't properly cut off the circulation. Use the Tri-bander instead.

We use the cheerios and buy a new pkg every year... $3.00.... anything that gets a little bigger we use the callicrate and have very good results. Cuts the circulation off in 1/2 hour and they go right back to doing what they were doing... check the sacks in 2-3 days and if they are cold and no swelling, they are good to go. We buy bull calves in the 4-5 wts and do them and put together groups of steers to sell.

Well, I definitely don't plan to run close up cows thru the chute for a hit or miss possible male that needs castration, but I could get antitoxin for them. That would be easy - or just roll the dice. LOL

I've done a FEW at birth this year. All natural. No issues. Maybe I'm lucky too. 😌

I've also banded with the cheerios some sale barn lightweights at purchase. All natural except a shot of La300 as they came from the sale barn as sort offs.

All good this year.

I've never banded any of my own until this year. I've either sold bull calves and left money on the table. Or tried to wean and ran em thru the vet to be worked b4 weaning/sale. So I've tried a couple ways. I'm confident steers will bring more than bulls

A friend waits til they are around 200lbs. Then bands and gives vaccinations.
He had one the other week or two back. The area above the band was swollen and puffy as all get out. Calf seemed fine otherwise. Got around good and plenty of fight/energy.. He pumped some la in him. As far as I know, that calf is now a perfectly good steer. That puffiness and swollen area looke painful!!

I'm in Central Texas and tetanus is always a concern. My thoughts - Be Kind, Be Quick: Use a knife. Squirt betadine on the cut.

Put a tight rubber band on your pinky and see how long you last before you want to cut it off.

Latest posts