Thinking of moving to Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

SoILcattle

Reaction score
Currently we live in extreme southern Illinois. I have been thing if relocating for some time but my wife is not quite in board. Would like some advice or opinions on Texas from those that live there.

Currently we operate a plumbing and excavation business here, are the job opportunities for this type of work plentiful in Texas? I would prefer to continue to operate our own business.

Looking to live in a rural area with good hunting and fishing over 100 acres and a good place to raise a family. All advice welcome. Thanks.

Plumbers stay plenty busy in the central Texas black soil. Water lines have a tendency to break pretty regularly with the soil movement. Most use a small backhoe like a Kubota. I would buy that and a good trencher and your ready for business.

SoILcattle":j1i0n3pv said:
Currently we live in extreme southern Illinois. I have been thing if relocating for some time but my wife is not quite in board. Would like some advice or opinions on Texas from those that live there.

Currently we operate a plumbing and excavation business here, are the job opportunities for this type of work plentiful in Texas? I would prefer to continue to operate our own business.

Looking to live in a rural area with good hunting and fishing over 100 acres and a good place to raise a family. All advice welcome. Thanks.
Interstate 35 can be pure he// to travel and splits the state in half north to south.....I-35 and 50 miles each side of it is where most of the growth, construction etc. is happening with still a lot of small communities from 3,000 to 10,000 population good school etc.

There is a market for anyone that will work, everywhere in the country. My wife is on me pretty hard about moving to north FL or south TX.....sooner than later.

230 acres real close to my farm that's for sale but I don't have price or details for you. Mostly grazing but there's plenty of water. I'm told there is a cabin on the place. I can grab the realtors name and number if you thing it's a consideration.

You realize that any and all problems in Texas are caused by all the "Yankees" moving there. Just thought I would fore warn you.

Yeah i know, lol. I wouldn't be wanting to change anything though. This state is ran by Chicago and the rest of us has to deal with it. Our whole family lives hear and that makes the decision to move so far away difficult esp for the wife. I worry about starting out our children in a place that is headed downhill fast.

We have a nice house on a farm here, successful business, and our family. We would essentially be starting over. I've never lived anywhere else in my life so it's hard to imagine leaving.

The sad part is I love being " home" after a week away on vacation I'm always ready to head back.

Texas is very diverse. Its amazing how different things are north east south west and central. You might want to visit several times and kind of get a feel for every thing. The weather is also very different depending on where you are.

SoILcattle":6536negc said:
Yeah i know, lol. I wouldn't be wanting to change anything though. This state is ran by Chicago and the rest of us has to deal with it. Our whole family lives hear and that makes the decision to move so far away difficult esp for the wife. I worry about starting out our children in a place that is headed downhill fast.

We have a nice house on a farm here, successful business, and our family. We would essentially be starting over. I've never lived anywhere else in my life so it's hard to imagine leaving.

The sad part is I love being " home" after a week away on vacation I'm always ready to head back.
Well, considering that, /\ I'll be honest. you probably better stay there then. You'll move, get to missing your extended family and next thing you know, the whole bunch picks up and moves down here.

greybeard":1ifhaak3 said:
SoILcattle":1ifhaak3 said:

Well, considering that, /\ I'll be honest. you probably better stay there then. You'll move, get to missing your extended family and next thing you know, the whole bunch picks up and moves down here.

:lol2: That's not fair GB... at least ask him how he votes before you pass judgement.

I know there are some nice places in Limestone county not far from where I live. There is definitely a high demand for a reliable responsible hard working plumber around here most of the ones around here are worthless.

If you do good work for a fair price, and do it when you say you will, I imagine you can do well anywhere. As far as Texas, the others are right about if you don't come in and try to change things to make it just as messed up as the place you came from then you should do okay.

I wonder now, what I was thinking, but about 11 years ago I bought 9.5 acres kinda between Odessa and Midland. I was going to winter there in my old age. I sold it a few years ago. Came to the realization, that I can never truely retire.

I believe I would think long and hard on the move. You have established contacts you have there that would not be here. I have thought the same thing years ago. Can call any one that I buy from and they will be okay for instance I bought 100 gallons of diesel last week forgot my check book they said do not worry we will send bill. Also think about your banking contacts which you would have to establish anew. Just some of my thoughts.

LoL,
For the past six months I have been fantasizing about running away from home which is Texas! We are in rural Southeast Texas 20 miles inland between Corpus Christi and Houston.

All the fallout from one big hurricane and the bizarre weather lately has been a bit much.

All kidding aside, I've lived in this county all my life. Can't imagine living anywhere else. I just need a few days off or a vacation.

Plumbers around here do well. No shortage of work. Their schedules are pretty full.

Did some snooping and found out they want $7500.00 per acre and the cabin was moved quite a while ago. Entry is at a dead end complete with a community cemetery.

Been doing a little looking on the internet myself.
7500 per acre is out of my budget, is that the going rate for property in your area?

There is 96 acres in FREESTONE county for $ 240,000 Nice area near a small power plant lake. Good wildlife. Very conservative, about halfway between Dallas and HOUSTON

Latest posts