Tiger striped bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

smoothmule

Reaction score
I kept back this bull calf to see how my cow (Gyr/Indu) was producing. This calf is by the registered Red Angus bull I used that my son used to have. He's coming a year old soon.

This is his dam with this years calf by a registered black Beefmaster bull is below.

I see most tiger striped calves are Hereford/Brahman cross so he was a surprise color anyway. But, breeding a Tiger Striped bull to solid cows, will the brindling pass to the calves? I've had a couple people wanting to buy him to breed and asking about it.

Not to hurt your feeling that is hamburger.
He might be brindle he is not a Tiger a true tiger is a F-1 cross
Of Hereford and Brahman and can be certified as such by the American Brahman association

Don't mind Caustic Burno. Tiger stripe are usually preferred to F1 Brahman x Hereford but seen folks applies it to any brindled cattle.

As for brindling question, yes it can pass to the calves assuming that the calves are red. Black usually masks the brindling in the black calves.

Just shows Beefmaster can be any color. Never seen one brindled like that. I surely wouldn't call that a Tiger stripe even by appearance

Kingfisher":2zlkckjv said:
Just shows Beefmaster can be any color. Never seen one brindled like that. I surely wouldn't call that a Tiger stripe even by appearance
Where did you get Beefmaster as that is SH/Herf/Brahman composite.

Caustic Burno":33y7m4h3 said:
Kingfisher":33y7m4h3 said:

I thought he was half gyr/indu and half red angus.

JMJ Farms":2puq18fe said:
Caustic Burno":2puq18fe said:
Kingfisher":2puq18fe said:

I thought he was half gyr/indu and half red angus.
Your right and their is a huge difference in indu and the American Brahman developed here.

Lol, I was asking about how the brindle pattern works, not a critique of the calf. Yes, he's going to the sale barn.
And yes, his mother is Gyr/Indu Brazilian and his sire a registered Red Angus. I just commented that I was surprised at his coloring. Is Tiger Stripe a breed? I assumed it was just a slang term for brindled.

I enjoy color genetics in horses and poultry. I was just wondering where the genetics for Brindle came from in this cross....so don't get your panties in a wad, he's not going to be siring any calves.

Tigerstripe isn't a breed, it's just a slang given to F1 Hereford X Grey Brahman cross most of times. Gyr, Brahman, Mini Zebu and Indu Brazilian carries a wild color gene which causes brindling and the brindling shows up in the cross.

Don't mind of some folks on here.

Brindle shows up in a lot of breeds when it is hit by the dilutor gene.

Latest posts