Top to bottom or bottom to top??

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
Helped a neighbor stretch some new barb wire fence Saturday. Now my thinking is: When I'm helping you, just tell me how you want it done and I'll do it..... it's yours. So we started stretching and I went for the bottom strand and he said "no, start in the middle. It's makes it all tighter". It's his so i did.

Got me to thinking... do you stretch bottom to top or top to bottom. I've never thought about it. Just did how my dad used to do it.

callmefence said:
Bottom wire is pulled after corners drove and used as straight line to drive post but not tied. Then top to bottom. And clipped top to bottom.
Just common sense really

Yep, tho with barbed wire, I sometimes slack back off and move that bottom wire to the top as soon as line posts are in. Depends how even the terrain is, how long the run is but overall, I work top down, just to keep the barbs from hanging on other strands as I'm stretching.

greybeard said:
callmefence said:
Bottom wire is pulled after corners drove and used as straight line to drive post but not tied. Then top to bottom. And clipped top to bottom.
Just common sense really

Yep, tho with barbed wire, I sometimes slack back off and move that bottom wire to the top as soon as line posts are in. Depends how even the terrain is, how long the run is but overall, I work top down, just to keep the barbs from hanging on other strands as I'm stretching.

Exactly the same thing here, for the same reasons.

I do the same as fence. Some guys around here like to use the top wire for the strait line. I have tried that am not a fan. Bottom wire first, then start at the top and go down.

What fence said.. top to bottom. I leave the wire that I stretched to get my post straight alone until I pull the 4th wire tight then clip the 2 bottom wires at the same time. Saves a little time and not so hard on the knees.

The other question is when you work alone do you clip the wires from one end to the other or start in the middle and work outward? Or does it even matter?

callmefence said:
Just common sense really
Exactly like he said. Bottom wire keeps the posts straight. Make the top wire look right and work your way down.

Again, having no tutoring and using what I could accumulate to do the job at the time, working alone with limited equipment, I tried both ways and found that top down on long runs with barbed wire (barbs get tangled up) works best for me. If I had help to keep the tangles out then it would be bottom up......and looking down my rows of T posts, you can see every one of them from one end....didn't plan it that way but that's the way is always seemed to work out.

Lucky said:
The other question is when you work alone do you clip the wires from one end to the other or start in the middle and work outward? Or does it even matter?

I suppose on flat ground it doesn't matter. Around here, I go and do the high and low spots first. After all of those are done it's just a matter of going and doing the handful left.

Lucky said:
then clip the 2 bottom wires at the same time. Saves a little time and not so hard on the knees.
The older I get the more I realize just how bad my knees are getting. I've seen times I think it would be easier to crawl to the next tee post instead of having to get up and walk over...

I think I may have to find a stool or something to sit my azz on while tieing the wires on. Hard to get up when on the ground. Bending over is not an option.

https://www.scooterlink.com/departments/scooters/rugged-terrain-scooters.cfm

One of these might be an option but would take the seat off and mount a low seat with no backs or cushions. Also it would swivel. Be just high enough to keep you feet on the ground when facing the fence,

hurleyjd said:

One of these might be an option but would take the seat off and mount a low seat with no backs or cushions. Also it would swivel. Be just high enough to keep you feet on the ground when facing the fence,

Harbor Freight has just the thing. The first one I bought was $30. liked it so much, recently they had hem on sale for $20 and I bought a second....round vinyl top, height pneumatic lever adjustable, dish on the bottom for collectibles, quality 360 degree wheels, light weight. Any more, when I collect tools for a low job, my stool is the first thing I grab.

hurleyjd said:

Lol...I've got a couple of those things in the old barn. My grandma rode one for years...I Wonder if farm fence could fit me a driver on one ...

callmefence said:
hurleyjd said:

Lol...I've got a couple of those things in the old barn. My grandma rode one for years...I Wonder if farm fence could fit me a driver on one ...

I know you'd want one with a flashing yellow light and klaxon.

Some years ago, there was some outfit in New Braunfels that was peddling those things to every senior citizen they could find, "at no out of pocket cost to the buyer"...........according to their late night TV ads, anyone on medicare/medicaid could get one...and couldn't be turned down. They had a list of a bunch of Drs that would certify the buyer needed it to get around, even if the Dr had never seen or heard of the 'patient'. They sold tens of thousands (700,000) and Medicare/taxpayer picked up the tab......until medicare got wise to it and put an end to it.

Major creditors include the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), which, according to the filing, is looking to collect $19.5 million--the amount the Scooter Store previously had agreed to repay the U.S. government after an independent audit found that the company had overbilled Medicare and Medicaid by $46.8 million to $87.7 million from 2009 to 2011.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGOuPOY6xHA

greybeard said:
callmefence said:
hurleyjd said:

I know you'd want one with a flashing yellow light and klaxon.

Some years ago, there was some outfit in New Braunfels that was peddling those things to every senior citizen they could find, "at no out of pocket cost to the buyer"...........according to their late night TV ads, anyone on medicare/medicaid could get one...and couldn't be turned down. They had a list of a bunch of Drs that would certify the buyer needed it to get around, even if the Dr had never seen or heard of the 'patient'. They sold tens of thousands (700,000) and Medicare/taxpayer picked up the tab......until medicare got wise to it and put an end to it.

Major creditors include the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), which, according to the filing, is looking to collect $19.5 million--the amount the Scooter Store previously had agreed to repay the U.S. government after an independent audit found that the company had overbilled Medicare and Medicaid by $46.8 million to $87.7 million from 2009 to 2011.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGOuPOY6xHA

Just went through the back brace scam also. I would get a call that I answered and they would say if I was a medicare participant then I might be eligible for a back brace totally free. This was broken up last week and people were being charged for fraud in the tune of over a billion.

Yep, I read that just last week. There's so much fraud within the medical arena it's unreal, and fraudulent PTSD and Agent Orange disability claims are close to the top of the heap.

Latest posts