Tractor Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog":3bjais1c said:
Another good point. I liked the 12spd option of the M7060 for square baling which I do now with an L4310. I always found my ground speed wasn't where I wanted to be and always had to go slower than I wanted. Although I started using round bales and plan to buy my hay going forward, I do still plan to square bale to sell to some people in the area. One of those things of square balers are becoming few and far apart.
My blue Ford tractors have served me well tough as can be and hard workers. All have they 8 speed transmissions. I find that I use road gear and another gear which would be fifth gear and reverse all other gears are really a waste of time. All are slow speed around 1700 rpms for 540 pto. John Deere tractors in the past that belonged to my brother had the 540 at 2100 rpms. Mahindra tractors will not require the DEF additive and some of the other brands may. If you can find a 4600 4610 4630 or any of the 56XX series Fords in good shape then they will serve you well. Also there is a lot of after market parts for these tractors out there.

True Grit Farms":gkee6inq said:
MudHog":gkee6inq said:
True Grit Farms":gkee6inq said:
It's definitely an 8 speed and no 540E but it has cast rear wheels. I have a 9960 and the only option I didn't get was the 540E option, and it was a screw up on my part. Grinding feed, spreading fertilizer, mowing and running a rotor tiller would be nice at 1400 rpm.

In that regards, the 540E may turn out the be a well suited option then.

Just trying to pass a couple of things on. And another I forgot is a square baler you don't need 70 or a 100 hp pto. Slow the RPM down and save fuel and wear and tear.
I'll beg to differ on the baler.....no you don't need 70 to 100 hp for most square balers....we used to use a 35 hp 530 John Deere for years but you do need to keep the flywheel turning the plunger at about 70 revs a minute.....that is what reduces wear and tear on both pieces of equipment.

1982vett":2i715cml said:
True Grit Farms":2i715cml said:
MudHog":2i715cml said:
In that regards, the 540E may turn out the be a well suited option then.

Just trying to pass a couple of things on. And another I forgot is a square baler you don't need 70 or a 100 hp pto. Slow the RPM down and save fuel and wear and tear.
I'll beg to differ on the baler.....no you don't need 70 to 100 hp for most square balers....we used to use a 35 hp 530 John Deere for years but you do need to keep the flywheel turning the plunger at about 70 revs a minute.....that is what reduces wear and tear on both pieces of equipment.

That's the idea behind the 540E pto. Most tractors achieve 540 at the pto running 2200 rpm. With the 540E option you reach 540 at 1600 rpm.

True Grit Farms":1fgkhcle said:
1982vett":1fgkhcle said:
True Grit Farms":1fgkhcle said:

That's the idea behind the 540E pto. Most tractors achieve 540 at the pto running 2200 rpm. With the 540E option you reach 540 at 1600 rpm.
Gotcha....

I like john deere's a lot have several will have several more. But, I had a 15 5045e leased for a year was not much of a tractor. They put a dash in it computer was jacked up when I took it back. Everytime it needed to burn off it stopped itself up. I would have a hard time recommending a late model of these. Now go back a few years and that tractor was a 5045 or 55 d. Great little tractor for little tractor stuff. We have of those with several hundred hours the Mexicans have not even torn up. I have put a strarter on it that's it. I don't see any problem with buying used, of course some junk out there you just have look through. I have no exp. with Kubota a lot around me. I know of one with 13000 hrs feeding everyday. No knocking anyone or their tractor but I would stick with a deere, cnh, or Kubota they are proven here in my neck of woods for me too see.

For those prices you could get a 2-3 year old 5085m deere open station. Big difference in a e and m. I bought one last spring good tractor.

littletom":3j0o7smx said:
For those prices you could get a 2-3 year old 5085m deere open station. Big difference in a e and m. I bought one last spring good tractor.

What are the differences between then? Most of all the ones sold around here are E MODELS.

E is the lower model = Not a bad tractor, but the M's are just on a higer level. Heavier built, better hydraulics, better transmissions, better cabs...etc

MudHog":1wlhq7yg said:
Supa Dexta":1wlhq7yg said:
MTZ May be worth a look in the cheaper range, If they are around. Landini is another. Def above mahindra.

As for used, deals are out there if you wait one out, or don't mind shipping a tractor in.

Haven't heard those brands here, but I did price an LS brand. It priced out higher than Mahindra, but only $4,368 lower than the Kubota.

All MFWD loader and open station

Mahindra 5570 - $29,750
Kubota M7060 - $37,868
LS XU6168 - $33,500
John Deere 5055E - $36,017

NH dealer here went to carrying LS here all I have heard is a bunch of complaints.
Kioti had made some headway in this area people seem to be liking them.

My downside is if I buy new, I lose out on my money to buy more head. Originally I was looking at used tractors and I might go back to looking for a Ford 4630 or similar. I'm still not dead set on having all the emissions, even if it is only lacking DEF. I'm not keen on the tractor shutting down to regen.

MudHog":mwxre3jf said:
My downside is if I buy new, I lose out on my money to buy more head. Originally I was looking at used tractors and I might go back to looking for a Ford 4630 or similar. I'm still not dead set on having all the emissions, even if it is only lacking DEF. I'm not keen on the tractor shutting down to regen.
Don't buy new.

I am new to doing hay and have been watching a lot of youtube videos and am impressed with the number of good old tractors such as Ford 5000 and reputable models of JD doing a lot of the work seemingly without problems. My main tractor is an older 84hp Kubota and it does all the heavier work but was worried about the work I was giving it keeping it up to pto speed with mowing and raking so I just picked up an old Leyland 344 (55hp) for $1700 to do a lot of that work and it is a beauty and the Kubota is sitting in the shed a lot now. We have had a lot of early unseasonal rain and the beauty of the Leyland is that it is half the weight of the Kubota and is not getting into the ground as much as the Kubota would.

Ken

MudHog":3kvdtkwf said:
That would mean less head of cattle to spread the payment out over. What operations are you planning on using a newer tractor for?

I'll keep my eyes open on this end for a good used tractor for you Mud. I've got a contact I'll check with. That would be my recommendation. Don't let a warranty or the shiny paint bug make your decision. :2cents:

bbirder":2kvyqr6m said:
I'll keep my eyes open on this end for a good used tractor for you Mud. I've got a contact I'll check with. That would be my recommendation. Don't let a warranty or the shiny paint bug make your decision. :2cents:

Thanks.

What I'm looking for is 60hp MFWD loader ROPS. Would prefer Kubota or Ford (New Holland) with the later taking precedence.

RanchMan90":1bw7rfdh said:
MudHog":1bw7rfdh said:
That would mean less head of cattle to spread the payment out over. What operations are you planning on using a newer tractor for?

Pasture maintenance, bush hogging, square baling, handling round bales,. General day to day cattle operation use. I don't plan to round bale, but that might change down the road. The guy I'm using to bale is $20/bale net wrapped. I cannot own a round baler and deal with the upkeep for $20/bale.

MudHog":2usf6vdk said:
RanchMan90":2usf6vdk said:
MudHog":2usf6vdk said:

Pasture maintenance, bush hogging, square baling, handling round bales,. General day to day cattle operation use. I don't plan to round bale, but that might change down the road. The guy I'm using to bale is $20/bale net wrapped. I cannot own a round baler and deal with the upkeep for $20/bale.
I hear ya. Is there any reason a $5-6k loader tractor wouldn't work for your needs (such as a Ford 5000 or Massey)? Just wondering, being as I am in the same boat on equipment.

RanchMan90":1n1en76r said:
I hear ya. Is there any reason a $5-6k loader tractor wouldn't work for your needs (such as a Ford 5000 or Massey)? Just wondering, being as I am in the same boat on equipment.

It would, but I am looking for something newer model. The Ford 5000 stopped production in 1976 and I'm shooting for something in the 90's. I'm also shooting for MFWD, so that automatically gets me into the 80's. For example, the Ford 4600 was 4x2 from '75-'81. MFWD started with the 4610 from '82 to '89.

MudHog":1yks4fth said:
RanchMan90":1yks4fth said:

It would, but I am looking for something newer model. The Ford 5000 stopped production in 1976 and I'm shooting for something in the 90's. I'm also shooting for MFWD, so that automatically gets me into the 80's. For example, the Ford 4600 was 4x2 from '75-'81. MFWD started with the 4610 from '82 to '89.

Ive mentioned before I sell used equipment mostly tractors and id rather have a ford 5000 over most tractors you've mentioned.. The only drawback is its not 4x4. Ford made some tough tractors. I bought a new Kubota last year had so many problems had almost 20 trips back to the dealer before it ever got 23 hours on it.

skyhightree1":3rkcornt said:
MudHog":3rkcornt said:
RanchMan90":3rkcornt said:

Ive mentioned before I sell used equipment mostly tractors and id rather have a ford 5000 over most tractors you've mentioned.. The only drawback is its not 4x4. Ford made some tough tractors. I bought a new Kubota last year had so many problems had almost 20 trips back to the dealer before it ever got 23 hours on it.
What do think the best value loader tractor of that size and age is?

Latest posts